Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

BR almost finished; pls help with shower enclosure decision

marisany
15 years ago

At long last, the major work on our bathroom renovation is done. I am very grateful for all the help I've received on this forum, both from answers to questions I've posted, and from searching existing posts.

This is not the official "before and after" thread, but I do have some near-final photos. I have not yet ordered the shower enclosure. I still have to hear from one company, but so far it comes down to two possibilities. First I'll post a few photos:

Hardware end of shower enclosure:

Other end of shower enclosure:

Looking into bathroom; shower is just behind door:

And a couple of photos of sink and toilet (radiator will be framed in and painted white; a few things still missing):

The bathroom is VERY small. The shower is 5' long and about 30" wide. Notice that the window frame comes into the shower area. I had the door molding cut off, but decided to leave the window molding intact. This means that there will be a gap between the end of the glass shower enclosure and the far wall. I know that there may be a little water getting out. The open end complicates the design of the shower doors.

The plan is to have a stationary panel, about 36" wide, attached right along the door molding. Hinged to it will be a swinging door, about 19" wide. This will leave an opening of about 5". I have been given two options, so far. One is to have the stationary panel attached by u-channels on 3 sides (floor, wall abutting door molding, ceiling), with the swinging panel attached by glass-to-glass moldings. The fixed panel will be almost 8' high (height to ceiling), and the swinging panel will be lower, maybe 6' high. I am worried that there will not be enough air circulation, and moisture will be trapped in the hardware end of the shower, because there is no opening above the fixed panel.

The other option is to have a header going all the way across at a height just above the window molding (about 7'4" high). Attached to this will be the stationary panel. The swinging panel will be attached top and bottom by pivot hinges (more attractive than glass-to-glass hinges). The swinging panel will have to be as high as the fixed panel (about 7'4"). I am worried about air circulation here, too.

Any opinions on which configuration would be better? (Or less bad, I know I have no really good options).

Comments (22)

• lauren674
    15 years ago

I read your post with interest because we have a very similar problem right now. But in our room, 1/3 of the window is in the shower. We will be meeting with the shower door rep on Monday to discuss options.

Consider having a fan light installed in the shower to vent the moisture and alleviate your concerns about air circulation. My initial thought is that 19" is pretty narrow for a door opening. However, we may end up with that too, as there is not much room for a door to swing as the room is very narrow. I'm imagining our options to be more towards a sliding door because of that.

Thanks for sharing your options. I will post again after meeting with the shower rep on Monday when we figure out what we're going to do. We did replace the window with tiled in glass block since it will definitely be partially inside the shower. Here is what we are dealing with:

I love your border, and see we both chose a similar 'look'.

• luluk
    15 years ago

your bathroom is beautiful, wondered if you could tell me the paint color on the walls, I have been looking for a nice beige like you picked.

• jomama517
    15 years ago

marisany, Your bathroom looks beautiful, can you tell me what tiles you used in your shower floor and bathroom floor?

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lauren, our bathrooms are so similar in size and layout! I think I see the places for the toilet and sink. I love your tile, with the black strip. I started out wanting this, but then decided to go with warmer colors. I'm still going back and forth. What is your floor?

I don't have the option of putting a fan/vent in the shower. The ceiling is already finished and tiled. There is one just above the toilet. I tried to plan everything ahead, but did not do enough or anticipate everything.

I'll be interested in hearing what options you are given. How far is the front of your toilet from the shower glass? I have been talking with another company, and I'll try to have them come in next week. Will keep you posted.

Thank you, luluk and jomama! The paint color is BM Everlasting. It's one shade lighter than Stone House, a wonderful color. I have a few other threads here agonizing over the color. I considered changing it, and looked at about 6 other samples. But my artist friend came over and told me to leave it, so I did. It's a great color, I just thought that I needed something warmer to go with the detail strip, and something darker for more contrast.

The bathroom floor is Durango limestone, 12"x12". The shower floor is the same stone in 1"x1" mosaic. The field tiles are Grazia Essenze in Magnolia. This is an Italian machine-made tile that looks hand-made (to me, at least). Their sizes are smaller - 5"x5" and 2.5"x5". The detail tile is from Quemere, a small company in Port Chester, NY, that makes a large variety of very beautiful tiles. The pieces I chose are available in about 36 colors. This tile is available at Rye Ridge Tile in Port Chester and TileAmerica in Stamford (and probably other locations).

The toilet is Toto Promenade, round front, in Cotton White. The sink is Porcher Pomezia, 24" width. All hardware is Rohl Country collection, polished nickel. I wanted levers instead of cross handles, but my friend told me that they would be too large for my small sink. I wish I'd gotten them anyway!

The sink, toilet, and Rohl hardware were all ordered at very good prices from qualitybath.com. They were very helpful - for example, I had a hard time figuring out exactly what I needed for the shower. They knew, and sold me a kit that contained everything, including roughs.

The things that are not up yet are towel racks/rings, medicine cabinet from Restoration Hardware.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hi Marisa --

Know you need help on the glass and can't offer that, but as another old house/small bath person I've been following your reno and just wanted to congratulate you on how it's turning out!

[Looks like I need to keep an eye on Lauren's beauty, too.]

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, house_vixen! I can't believe how long this is taking....

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

I hear you. We demo'd nearly 4 months ago and really "started" 6 weeks before that (with most purchases done in Feb/March). The process is best not discussed, ha. Amazing how we thought we were in good shape based on our lessons learned post kitchen reno...now we have more lessons under our [tool] belt.

So anyway: I'm jealous of how close to being done you are! Know in a way that just adds to the angst, though.

And I just love your sink. If we can ever bring ourself to do our *other* small 70s bath, we're putting in a pedestal; right now Kohler's Archer is the likely choice but yours is definitely one I want to run by Mr Vix. [Your toilet's great too, but we went with a dual flush and will prob repeat.]

• lauren674
    15 years ago

Marisa, I just want to emphasize that your bathroom is coming out beautiful! I love everything in it, including the color. You needn't 2nd guess yourself, though I have done the same over and over. So many, many decisions and choices for such a small room!

During my earlier post I was just so taken by the fact that we had a similar problem with the window, and basically the same design. My first choice in sink was the same one you picked...but we ended up with a wider herbeau in a similar style, lever faucets, and a console instead of pedestal because they sent us the wrong thing and its great.

We also have a round bowl Toto, ours is a handicap height chosen for its dimensions. Distance from toilet to shower is only like 16 inches (I think) and that's the best we could do. The floor is white hex with a black daisy pattern.

I will post again after we have some idea on our shower door.

Hi to Housevixen! I remember your house with all its fabulous colors and excellent kitchen backsplash tile. Used to post more frequently several years ago before we stalled on this bathroom. Attached is a link to my galleries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lauren's Pics

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

house_vixen, I love the Archer. The one I have is looking "clunky" to me - the toilet looks much more delicate. The sink I really wanted was the Kallista Hampstead - it is a real thing of beauty, but the lowest price I could find was $800. I'm in the phase (I hope it's only a phase) of hating everything I chose. I hope your bath is finished soon! Are you doing the work yourselves?

Thank you so much for the kind words, Lauren! They help with the second guessing. I looked at your bath album - what an improvement! I thought I had the worst "before" bath, but your 70's plywood may even be worse than my black,white and silver wallpaper (even on ceiling) and falling-off tiles.

A rep from another shower door company is coming by later today. I'll post later.

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The rep from the 2nd company has come and gone, and I think I will go with him. His design is headerless and does not go to the ceiling. He recommended a fixed panel, 75" high, attached to the wall with two clips, and attached to the marble sill with a metal channel. The door will be attached to this with two glass-to-glass hinges. I questioned him closely about the stability of such a system, and told him that two other companies had told me I'd have to use a header (several weeks ago I went to a local glass company, then got other companies through Service Magic). He was quite confident that it would work, and offered to email me photos of similar installations. I have liked him the most from the start - we've been emailing about the shower for several weeks. He is very responsive. He's been in business for 15 years, and does the shower doors for all the plumbing showrooms around here. He uses only Century products, and is a consultant for them. He told me that many shower glass companies buy the hardware from a company like CSLI(?) and then have the glass made locally. He gets everything from Century, and feels that the quality control is better.

I'm interested in any thoughts others might have.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hey Marisa, that's good news about the glass. Sounds like he's willing to back up his talk with portfolio pics and references, always a good sign.

We're hoping to do glass eventually (have to see where the budget is when (if?) we get functional), so I'll be keeping track of your solution. Luckily Flyleft and Codnuggets have a place they recommend, and you can BET I'm listening....

Given how long it's taking, you might think we were 100% DIY but no. We're doing a lot of it, but we actually thought we'd be doing a lot less and hiring a lot fewer subs! [long story] But the tiler is here this week, so we're getting closer. I hope the forum can take a semi-vintage, non-white bathroom!

And hi, Lauren! Of course I remember your great kitchen reno (and the Peel Away 6 DR!). I've been around off and on since my kitchen reno...you know how energy fluxes when it's one project after another.

Loved your bath process pics. You and Marisa are killing me with the great sinks! Now, isn't it time to start your own thread so everyone can oooh and ahhhh? Wasn't sure if you ended up having to replace the floor using the original pattern or if that was the result of your repair? Either way, looks amazing. I always hope we'll find cool stuff like that when we demo but so far we are 0 for 2. Of course I'm not sure when our house GOT an indoor bath, so....

And not to brag, but I think I *might* have a 70s bath that will let me into your club, ha.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

Marissa ~ I'm so glad to hear you have a good shower door guy that has a reasonably simple solution for you!

Vix ~ I was off the forum and off improvement projects for a couple of years...guess we just burned out for a while. Finally, we hired a contractor friend to finish the bathroom (he only has time because construction has diminished) and boy has that been energizing for me! Can't have a ugly hallway attached to a new/old bath after all, and after this lets deal with the front room!

I looked at your gallery, and you did have a mighty dated before bath and are definitely in the 'intolerable ugly bath that we used for much too long club'.

Yes, next time I will start my own thread instead of hitching on Marisa's, but I've enjoyed our chats.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hey, I'm glad you hitched here -- just don't want you to hide out too much once you feel that baby is ready to show off!

Esp as I did a "small bath" search here way back when and GW could use more examples of such -- and when they are as pretty as yours and Marisa's, well....

• suero
    15 years ago

Your glass guy appears to know what he's talking about. Did he say that he would put a silicone seal between the fixed glass panel and the wall?

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you guys hitched onto this thread! I am planning to start an "Ugliest Before Bathroom Contest" thread (and I think I have a strong contender) - similar to 'intolerable ugly bath that we used for much too long club'.

Lauren, I was also wondering whether you ended up replacing that tile floor, but forgot to ask.

Sue, the glass guy is planning to seal the seam between the glass and the wall with silicone. He also mentioned a rubber "bumper" inside the channel along the bottom of the fixed panel, to stabilize the glass. He has, all along, sounded knowledgable.

• suero
    15 years ago

Go with him, but be sure to ask for a warranty on his work and the glass.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

Hi again! First, let me answer the question regarding the floor. Yes, it is new and now has black flowers instead of blue and there's more of them! Everything in that room was removed with the exception of the one plaster wall that is immediately on the left when you walk in. We had considered restoring the scored tiles so had painstakingly removed all the paneling glue. However, the scored part was tiled over when we came to our senses (one scored wall, what were we thinking?!)

Next, DH and Contractor friend (he who has rescued us) met with the shower door guy. The proposal is to have two fixed panels with a door in between that will somehow clear the sink and be over 24" wide. They say this doable but will mock it up on the next visit. The fixed panel on the window side will go into the recessed window,against the glass block, up and back out of the window, attaching to the top of the shower area.

The panel on the plumbing side will simply go straight up attach to the shower ceiling as well. The door, however, will be down further, leaving a 6" opening at the top to vent and will be attached to the far fixed panel. We will have to take care not to let the door bang into the toilet if its opened more than 90 degrees.

That is the plan, and we have not yet learned of the price.

Here is a picture of the tiled window, tiling is now complete! I'll have to finish the grouting in a couple of days.

• marisany
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip, suero. I've emailed him asking for warranty information.

Lauren, that plan sounds reasonable to me. You're fortunate that the glass window has a simple profile. My price is just over $2200. I am still waiting for one quote, but the others (local glass company, and I dropped into Mr. Shower Door) were $2300-$2500. I am astounded at how much these things cost. I am using polished nickel hardware, and I think that increases the price a bit.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

As a follow-up, the bid came in at $1800. It will actually be four pieces: One little panel in the window, connected onto a fixed panel which is clipped to the ceiling and base, the lower height door in the middle, and another fixed panel that will clip to the shower ceiling/base. They still have to come out and do a final measure/order visit.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Hey Lauren, thanks for the reference point. We need bids to see if we're going to wait things out with a curtain or....

And since Marisa is so sweet about letting us hijack, I'm going to post my 99% done tile job here. [2 double bullnose pieces on order.]

Lots more for Mr Vix and me to do, but lots done!

Total opening is 42" so I'm thinking I want 2 fixed pieces of glass that mimic where the wall is, then the door in front of the ~ 24"W window. Door would have to swing to left as toilet will be perpendicular to tall wall with ceiling slope...drain is in right corner of photo. Thoughts?

Shower controls will be directly above here (on non-window wall)

• lauren674
    15 years ago

First thought: Wow! Second: What a cool looking room. Third & etc: They're doing a fantastic job! What a beautiful leaded cabinet door (?) Nice finish job on that window. Love that glass tile! I like the idea of centering the door on the window...though it might be less expensive to have the door on the wall with only one fixed panel so you should price both.

Have to run out to the store now.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Lauren -- thanks much, we are trying to get our DIY/pro mix to "take" in our 6 x 10.5ish room! Agree we may end up with 1 fixed if budget constraints get in the way, but seems like it'd be a shame.

1) Window credit goes to tiler, though we made his job harder by forcing him to design from the full run of 6 x 6 tiles between the window. All cuts relate to that, for better or worse.

2) Yep, leaded glass -- I found/fell in love with the salvage doors years back (not in my house, alas) and basically designed the bathroom around 'em.

Fell a little less in love with them after spending hours using progressively more toxic cleaners on the decades of mineral etc deposits before sending them off to the cabinetmaker. And of course after priming and painting (and painting) the cab boxes. But I'm feeling the love return, ha.

3) Oh, glass tile would have been too easy, ha. You know I love my aqua iridescent glass mosaic backsplash, but Mr Vix and I both feel in love with a ceramic liner topped with oyster shell slivers. Luckily the bath is small and our field tile was rock bottom in price, sigh.

HEY MARISA --

No need to worry about being lonely while all others finish -- we just went to install our sink and the GC's plumber didn't seem to take our vanity shelf configuration into account, so we'll probably have to call (another!) pro for help. No running water for meeeeeeee though it's nice to have it out of the den (though its mirror needs to join it!):