Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anonymouscuban

Completed Remodel - Pictures

anonymouscuban
13 years ago

Back in January, some of you helped me out with the space planning and design of my master bedroom and bath. I thought I would follow up with some pictures of the completed room. I started work on this project in March and finished about 2 weeks ago... well, there is still some decorating and finishing touches but all the major stuff is done. It took a little longer than I thought. I got sick in the middle of the project for a week. After many long hours of blood, sweat and tears, it's finally done. I want to thank you guys for all your help.

Here is what it looked like before... the last room in the house to get done.

Comments (28)

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Almost forgot pics of the new walk-in:

Not sure if it's appropriate with this being the Bathroom forum but here are few pics of other parts of our home that I remodeled in the past:

Formal living room:

This is a close up of the fireplace with one of my wife's many Buddhas. She is crazy for Buddhas. She's Catholic so I'm not sure why.

This is a shot looking towards the foyer:

This is our formal dining room. The table is actually a 200 year old door from Indonesia. It's probably my favorite piece of furniture in the house. I had a felt top made for it to play poker on ;-)

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

WOW! Your bathroom is absolutely stunning! I love its luxurious open feel. And your bedroom is beautiful too. Congratulations on completion of an amazing project!

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry guys... left out the master closet again:

• sedeno77
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

OMG! (in a good way!)

• eggplantlady
    13 years ago

Wonderful - you must feel great! I especially like the shower ceiling and the front door is fabulous.

• mm22
    13 years ago

Really pretty...I love your colors and all the interesting art pieces around your home, ENJOY!

• just_julie
    13 years ago

Is it an optical illusion or is your shower glass angled?

LOVE the shower ceiling!

As for your other pics, truly stunning, love all of it! I can see how the dining table is your favorite. I"m an Aries and lean towards the earthy oranges.... my lord I would love to visit!

lol-was going to ask if you lived in Chicago but after looking at the view out of your master bedroom, I'm guessing that's a big NO.

Enjoy, it's wonderful!

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. They really mean a lot since I've worked very hard over the last 4 years to get my home to this point. It really is rewarding to look around and know that I did all this work myself with the the help of my lovely wife.

As for the shower glass... no it's not angled, that's just distortion from the camera lens. Oh... and we don't live in Chicago, Southern California actually.

• oldhousegal
    13 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful home. You have done a beautiful job and I'm sure you feel relieved that it's done!
    Looking at your photos transports me to a great villa in Tuscany.....I wish my home could do that!

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

Wow! Your master bathroom and closet and the rest of the house are to die for! Congratulations on accomplishing such a transformation. The photographs are beautiful, magazine quality shots. Thanks for sharing!

I love the Buddhas, too, I have to say.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Wonderful taste. I would love to lounge in your home. That table is really spectacular. You've done a superb job with this transformation!

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Can I live in your closet?

Beautiful job. If you did the decorating yourselves I'm really impressed. If you didn't, I'm still impressed. It's wonderful.

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I hate admitting this in fear of losing my "man card" but I do all the decorating. My wife gives input but I am the main decorator. I guess my man card is safe since the decorating is balanced with all the other work.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Any interest in flying out to PA to decorate my house when it is done?? Amazing!

What floor did you use in your living room? I love it as an idea for my sunroom floor!

Is the dining room faux finished and what finishing technique did you use?

What is the fireplace surround made of?

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"What floor did you use in your living room?"

It is tumbled, chiseled edge travertine laid in a versaille pattern. It consists of four sizes: 8x8; 8x16; 16x16; 16x24. If you're going to do this in real stone, make sure your joists and subfloor are suitable. I had to do quite a bit of work to get my subfloor to have the proper deflection rating which meant sistering the joists in areas and also laying two layers of 3/4" T&G plywood and then 1/4" hardibacker. This ensured that I wouldn't have any issues with cracking from settling or movement.

"Is the dining room faux finished and what finishing technique did you use?"

Yes... it's a color wash. I did this a while ago but I believe I used 4 different colors. I started with a base coat of a very warm yellow, almost mustard, then washed an orange and then a red. I then finished it with a very muted redish-brown to bring it down a bit. I used a 4" brush and just dry brushed it all on using very broad and random strokes. It came out really good, looks like leather when you're up close. It took a lot of work. It's funny because we've thought of painting over it but each time, I can't bring myself to do it.

"What is the fireplace surround made of?"

The mantle is custom. I built it myself with poplar lumber and mill work. The surround and hearth is done in 4x4 tumbled marble. It's sealed with a wet-look sealer. The stone was a bit ashy/dry without it and we wanted to bring out the darker, richer tones in the stone.

• fixitandforgetit
    13 years ago

Ok now that I can see we can post our remodel pic here Im gonna post a few jobs that Ive done. Great pics!!!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Your house is astounding. The bathroom is completely amazing. The shower looks like a carwash for humans with all the different sprays. I love the tiled ceiling.

Thanks for sharing.

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Your bathroom in really beautiful, great details. May I ask what lens you used on your camera? Your shots are so crisp and beautiful, and your able to capture more of the room. I have a fancy 35mm but have never been able to really get anything out of it good and then digi took off. I was thinking maybe I could invest in a lens and try some shots of my new MB.

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The lens is a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It's a Nikon mount since I shoot a D300. However, they also make the same lens for Canon. It's a very sharp lens, especially considering it runs only $600 new. I shot all of these shots with only the available room light, with the camera on a tripod since the shutter speed was very long. If I were to give one tip for taking really sharp indoor pictures it's to use a tripod or some other surface to set your camera on.

• anrol
    13 years ago

Just stunning! You can tell this has been a labor of love. Good for you for having an interest in decorating your home!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Your home is absolutely beautiful!!! I love your warm inviting decorating style and great photography. You are truly a talent.

Are those custom slip covers on your couches?

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes. Those are customer slip covers. The couches are "blanks"... at least that's what I call them. Basically, they have no decorative upholstery on them if you remove the slip covers. All the cushions are down filled and sooooo comfortable.

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

Alex --

Absolutely amazing -- what a great job. A wonderful house, exudes design and warmth.

What are the wall colors in the master bath and master bedroom please? Great!

Thanks,

Pete

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

WOWOOWWOOWOWWWW!

You have exquisite taste! I dont where to begin. the bathroom is just gorgeous and then there is more to match. The rest of your house is eclectic, classy, international, peaceful, cultured... You have collected beautiful pieces.

Love the buddha, the indian door dining table, the thai wall carving, ganesh !

Could you share the source of the sink and sink-stand?

• anonymouscuban
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@peteinsonj -

Colors in the Master Bedroom:

- The ceiling is Valspar "Au Lait Ole" in flat
    - The bed wall is Valspar Venitian plaster "Cioccolate"
    - The other walls are Valspar Venitian plaster "Pelle"

In the bathroom is Valspar "Lyndhurst Stone" in Satin. We may end up doing the Venitian plaster in the bathroom as well, once I get the motivation to do it.

@pharaoh -

The vanities are made by Today's Bath and the model is Concord. We actually got them from Costco Online but apparently, they don't carry them anymore, at least not on the web site. I first saw them on a couple other online sites selling for about $1400 each and then I stumbled upon them at Costco. Could you believe I paid $579 each including shipping? Really good buy.

• kimba615
    13 years ago

Your home is absolutely beautiful!! You're quite talented, your decorating skills and workmanship are top quality. Each room is more stunning than the next.
    My husband is set on getting a pillar candle chandelier for our almost renovated DR. Is yours Restoration Hardware? And, if so which size is that? If not, do you mind sharing the manufacturer / source.
    Thank you!

• DoggieMom
    13 years ago

Wowee, your bathroom is beautiful! But I have to ask, where do you put all your bathroom stuff?