Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Designing cabinetry for a small bath---help!

pinktoes
16 years ago

Okay, I'm stumped. My hardest bathroom to design is the smallest one. The hall guest bath, which is also my bath (except that I shower in the Master with DH. Well, not usually at the same time.) There's a small linen/broom closet in the hallway, but no closet in the bath itself. Your usual oblong small hall bath.

We'll have a local cabinet shop make our maple cabinets, but I need to design what I want. Sink base cabinet is only 30" x 22". For the mirror/medicine/shelves, etc. on the upper level, I have the 30" of wall space behind the sink and the side wall--about 30" of wall over to the door. All my potions, cosmetics, hairdryer, etc. plus guest items needs to go there. I like things behind closed doors mostly. I want a high backsplash and side splash of some sort to protect the wall paint; maybe tile.

When I find photos of baths and cabinetry it's usually the nice, big, knock-out/show-off our skills stuff. Of course. But I don't have the space for all that. Where do I get ideas for my LITTLEST bath??

Comments (9)

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's what I think my storage options are, and I probably need all three:

1) Biggest medicine cabinet (with mirror) I can fit over the sink. Question: I know having lights on both sides of a mirror gives better light, but that will eat up too much space in this case. What about a light above the cabinet and a light just on the open (left) wall beside the cabinet?

2) Drawers in the sink base cabinet. It will be 30" x 22" and 36" high. Sink will be 20" round. Specs. show it hangs down 8 inches in the cabinet. I don't understand where my drawers could be or what size. Below the 8" needed for the sink?

3) Shallow cabinet over the toilet. Can you actually reach over the toilet into that? Duh, but I never had one before.

Thanks for insight, or a direction to look.

• suero
    16 years ago

You can get an 8" deep medicine cabinet and recess it, so that only 4" of the cabinet protrudes into the space over the sink, just the same as if you had a 4" deep surface mounted cabinet.

If you are going to mount a cabinet over the toilet, get in the habit of keeping the toilet lid closed, otherwise you might find the items in that cabinet taking a swim.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Pottery BArn makes a very tall recessed medicine cabinet that would hold quite a bit of stuff. Below that I have an antique music stand, which would be ok to hide hair stuff in, but it's really not much space at all. My powder room is too small for much more.

As to the cabinet above the toilet. We've had them for three years in the old joint and they worked fine. But yes, do keep the lid down :) Bandaids are best used dry, not wet!

(A very DUSTY picture)
    {{gwi:1482034}}

In this room I do not have room for lights on both sides of the vanity so I've gone with a three bulb exposed light fixture on the ceiling. I have an angled wall to the left and could add one fixture on that side if necessary. You could easily do the same and it would look nice. THe fixture I'm using is a reproduction (link below). Because of the way the bulbs are pointed it does shed more light than a normal bathroom fixture and really does light up my 3x7 room plenty. Not having a shade is the key here, but since it isn't a room for make up to be done in :) I'm going to float a large glass bowl under this as well (hard to describe...it's an antique piece that you mount a bare bulb under for light).

Here is a link that might be useful: flush mount fixture

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

suero: I have a PB catalog so I'll tear out a photo. Ours will be custom made to match the base cabinet, but I still need to design it. Hadn't thought of recessing one that deep; it is a lot of space that way.

igloochic: gorgeous piece you have there. And I hadn't thought of using a ceiling light over the sink area. I was thinking of lights on the wall above the med. cabinet. Our ceilings will be 9 feet there, so don't know about using anything flush or even semi-flush. Have to look around with that in mind.

Thanks, guys.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Not much help with cabinets, but could you do 2 pendants hanging close to the wall? Not sure if this would work as you would have to have them out of the way of med cab door opening.

Klb_2000 had some drawings posted of her cabs she was considering. Seems to me it was similar to what you are proposing.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Hmmmm.... I can't find the original post where she had 3 or 4 drawings of different cabinet config's - must have scrolled off. But in the link below, bio shows one of klb's sketches that she was thinking of copying. It is the 3rd of 4th post down.

Here is a link that might be useful: klb's sketch

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

budge1: I'll do some scaled drawings to check on how pendants would work. Thanks's for klb's sketch link. I went to the specs on that cabinet she was copying to see how the drawer/door situation was done. This is the small kind of bath I'm dealing with, though mine is a bit larger.

• kelly_2000
    16 years ago

Hello! Glad to see all my messing around with possible layouts for my cabinets is helping someone (.....I still haven't made any progress on my own bathroom project!)

Pinktoes, you can see a few other possible cabinetry layouts I had come up with at the link below. I'm basically still planning on going with this one (tho maybe without the sconce over the toilet....)
    {{gwi:1482035}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Some other ideas....

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

klb2000: Allelujah! Thank you, thank you. I thought I was deranged and now I find I am instead a rare genius--just like you. I knew this could work. I've printed out some of your ideas. I have room for 3 or 4 cabinet doors and find the narrower ones easier to contend with over the sink, so I'll probably do that.

Very exciting!