Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Freestanding 45" period look vanity--best sink size for 2 people

julieste
9 years ago

Much as I wanted to, there is just no way to make our bath any larger (or to add a master without spending a gazillion dollars and sacrificing a room). This is the only bath in the second story of a 3+ bedroom, hundred-year-old house in an upscale neighborhood. The kids are gone, and it is now just the two of us. We've lived with the one sink, 36" vanity bathroom for thirty years and are now upgrading to a larger custom-made vanity that is 45" (the absolute largest we can get in there) with one open side and one side butted into a corner.

I, of course, had really wanted two sinks. Impossible, unfortunately. Typically the only time my husband and I use the bathroom at the same time is when brushing our teeth. Sometimes he has resorted to going downstairs to the main floor to use the powder room to spit if I am still standing by the sink. So, my goal is to find a sink that would very occasionally allow use by two for tooth brushing while still giving us some counter space. I'm thinking that larger is better but have given up the idea of a two faucet, trough sink that I'd contemplated for a while.

What size and style undermount sink would you recommend that would be functional and look appropriate in a period-style bath with a fairly simple white vanity with Carrera marble top? My plan is for the sink to be offset rather than centered. We don't use a lot of products and need a huge amount of counter space but would still like some. I'd thought about rectangular but am now thinking that may be too contemporary.

Would something like this 19" x 13.5" Duravit sink be good? Or, would a different shape be better? Or, a different size?

http://www.duravit.us/website/homepage/products/product_overview/series/vanity_basins.us-en.html/p-1673871

Thanks for the help. I tried pasting the image in and couldn't get it to work. Sorry.

Comments (3)