Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Maroon and gray 50s bathroom

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

We are finally moving to spiff up our sort of period bathroom. It has the original maroon and gray tile from 1950, but it's in really good condition, so we want to keep it. Here's a pic:

Just had a bath remodeling place out and we discussed doing the following:

New sink, vanity, faucets (sink and tub); new recessed mirror; new lighting (sconces or something over the sink, and a can light over the tub); remove plastic tub liner and either restore the old tub or put a new liner; strip wallpaper and prep walls for painting.

My question: what color and style do you think would look good for the vanity and sink? Thanks for any ideas about this or any other aspect of this. We're going to try to get over to the showroom for this place in the next week to see what they have, so it would be nice to have something in mind.

Comments (21)

• dainaadele
    15 years ago

I am curious to see what others suggest. My hardest guess would be about what other color to put with the maroon and gray. I like the two together, but I am not sure about the white fixtures. Maybe this is when colored fixtures would work well? Are they an option? One thing I can say is that I would keep any wood used in the room as a dark or cherry stained. Similar to the wood in the window? It blends with the maroon better than the lighter wood around the current mirror. I second the vote for an oval.

As I look at your picture again, I am thinking if the white fixtures stay, you want to minimize the white and accent the gray. That may work with lots of nickle/chrome in the room. Even gray/silver towels and shower curtains. A kind of metallic room. Hmmm?

Just ideas, sometimes one person's starting suggestions, leads to better ideas later. The room is not standard to current styles, and I like the different. Please post the final product, I am curious to see how it comes out.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

I really like this tile! The unique floor really ties it all together.

Can you post a picture of the sink? Can't tell if its a wall-mount or a console. If you do get rid of a console, look into selling it.

This may not be at all what you had in mind, but its a cherry recessed mount on sale that's the type we installed, it has lots of room and would look good in your narrow bath natural with poly or stained darker. (Remember Cherry Wood darkens over time.)

My opinion is that you are on the right track saving the quality tile, restoring the tub and replacing the fixtures with what you like. You can go retro or modern with your choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Medicine Cabinet

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lauren, the sink is wall mounted (it hooks onto a metal piece that's bolted to the wall). Here's a picture:

One problem with this sink is that it's just about impossible to get faucets to fit it. You'll notice that the vanity is rather decrepit. It was a dirty beige when we moved in here, and I painted it white.

One unknown is whether the original tub beneath the liner is gray or white. The bath guy said that it's easier to refinish to its original color than to paint a new color (requires epoxy and nasty chemicals). I don't know how this would look with a gray tub and white toilet and sink ...? However, I'm hoping the tub is white.

I was thinking that perhaps a gray and white marble counter with vanity either white or in wood stained to match the door and window trim might look nice -- with chrome or nickle finish hardware. And maybe a frameless mirror.

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

I am desperately searching for an old thread to show you that was either here in Baths or Home Decorating that had a photo of a 50s bath with what I think was a new vanity, if I remember correctly. What was really memorable was that the granite counter was really beautiful and was the perfect match to the greenish grayish tiles. The look was so pulled together that you couldn't even tell if it was an old or new bathroom.

Does anyone remember that?

These aren't your colors, but here are some photos of another 50's bathroom to show what a difference paint color can make.

Here is a link that might be useful: 50's bath from Hue Consulting

• lauren674
    15 years ago

Wow! That is one retro sink! It really brings to mind that era of console tv cabinets and big sculpted cars with wings!

You definately will be able to sell it to someone who is working on restoring their 'modern' home from that era.

As for your update, there's so many sink options to choose from - just start shopping around online and find just the right one that will make you happy and fits with the dimensions of the room. The marble topped vanity sounds like a beautiful choice! One thing I like about this one is the legs raising it up off the floor so that the floor is visible under the vanity. That makes a small room appear less crowded.

I can't believe house vixen hasn't seen this thread yet! She will have some excellent suggestions for coordinating with your colored tile.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally got out to the showroom to look at fittings. What we are leaning toward now is a grey/pink marble (fior di pesco; see link), white undermount oval sink, and a dark cherry cabinet with slab doors. I'm a little worried that this could be too dark, but this marble goes very well with the tile.

Questions: is there a rule of thumb RE width of vanity/sink to width of mirror? Our current configuration has a 31-inch wide vanity with a 38-inch wide mirror. We are constrained by space to no wider than 32 inches for the vanity, but the wall cabinet could be wider. If we do go wide, I guess the lighting would have to be on top for the best result.

Another question: I am thinking that if we do get a marble top, we should have at least a small backsplash to keep water from running down the back of the cabinet.

Anyway, we're making progress on this. Thanks for any thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1481984}}

• lauren674
    15 years ago

I think you should post on the decorating thread with a link to this thread. There are many more posters there and they are very talented in coordinating colors and materials. You'll get a lot more response as the bathroom forum has been quiet lately. Maybe its reflective of the current economy that less people are remodeling?

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lauren, thanks. I'll do that.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

HTH, is there anyway you can remove the current vanity and add legs and towel holder sides as in the following linked picture? Both of the bathrooms in my folks last home had sinks like this and I loved them. Still do. I added a skirt to the one in the bathroom I used for added storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1481985}}

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that as much as I love the marble you choose I tihnk since you are keeping the rest of the baths vintage look that I'd find a way to keep your sink too. Here's another link that might help you do just that. It opens to another picture of a vintage bathroom, but if you look at the very top of the page there are links that might help you find a faucet to replace the one you have. I take it's not in good working order? If so, you may want to keep it. It's charming!

Here is a link that might be useful: FixAFaucet.com

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

justgotabme, yes, whole faucet mechanism is shot, and I think it's just about impossible to find a faucet to fit that sink. If it was a 90 degree vertical angle, it might be possible, but it's on a slant. The one in the tub is pretty messed up, too (really corroded), but it still works.

Not crazy about the skirt idea ...

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

Holy cow--I have your bathroom's cousin!

We went for quick & easy freshening. New fixtures, paint, GFI outlet and light. Still mulling over options. Either refinish wall tile and tub & install new floortile OR gut it. We'll see.

Here's the new sink (Toto), medicine cabinet & Light Fixture (Lowes):

Toto sink & toilet:

Better view of (irregular) floor tile pattern, and the vanity that was there before:

I vote for the console sink option too. However, the marble countertop would give you more surface area for display, etc.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did actually find a slant-back faucet -- I think there's only one model out there, identical to the one we have (which perhaps is a replacement, because it doesn't match the tub). I asked the bath place to give me an estimate with the marble and undermount sink and one with keeping the old sink, so I'll see what he says. Stay tuned ... :)

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

Tell us more about the replacement faucet. In our guesthouse, we have a 50s sink with the same (leaking) faucet configuration as yours. Either we find a new faucet, or we have to replace the whole thing.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

abbycat, see result of Google search in the link.

They all come up with the same model, which looks identical to the one we have.

We had a bad leak under this sink earlier this year and dithered about working on the bathroom at that time; finally decided just to get it fixed. The plumber wasn't too hopeful but was able to get it working again. A few weeks ago, the faucet was leaking and my DH tried to fix it, but the whole thing that connects to the plumbing behind the sink broke off. This time, we decided just to get the whole thing redone -- we don't want to mess around with plumbing leaks, and the cabinet is just about ready to fall apart anyway. Thus this discussion.

And btw, thanks for the input, everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search for

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

www.deabath.com may know where to repair/restore.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like they have the same one (scroll down to the slant back faucet).

Here is a link that might be useful: DEA Bath

• kcsun
    12 years ago

I wonder if this project was ever completed....

My bathroom looks soo much like this - same colors, sink, faucets. I need to replace the floor tile and don't know what pattern or color to use. Currently it's a grey pinwheel pattern. I plan to install a white, smaller pedestal sink and white toilet.

Thoughts...?

• Carol Wallace
    7 years ago

Where can we purchase the maroon tile in this pic? We have a fifties bathroom with that same tile and would like to purchase more.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Daltile has Chianti in Semi-Gloss which may be too light, hard to tell without getting a sample.

B & W has 78W Maroon.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz