Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carterinms

BainUltra Bells & Whistles Worth the Cost?

carterinms
16 years ago

I am thinking about getting one of the BainUltra air tubs. I visited a showroom today, and came home with a nice brochure, prices for various 66" tubs, and more questions than answers! I would love to hear your opinions on the inverted V and heated headrest.

How well does the inverted V work for massaging your neck and spine? And does the heated headrest work like a heating pad would? This sounds like heaven for those days when my back and neck are hurting. If it works well, I don't mind the extra cost.

The salesman said that the chromotherapy option would add about $400 - ouch! I think I can live with candles!

Comments (13)

• ann-elizabeth
    16 years ago

I just ordered the Auyora...can't wait to have it installed (still 6 weeks out). I, too, am excited about the heated backrest and the chromotherapy. But mostly I am thrilled with the 78" length as I am 5'11" and would love to be able to stretch out in my tub and be completely under water! No more knees or feet sticking out!

Ann

• carterinms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monica, the problem is that I am considering ALL the models! We are probably going with a 66" length. Unfortunately, the showroom didn't have any in that length so I am having to guess that a 66"x36" will work well.

I like the Azur 55 for our low end option - it has the grab rails, but none of the other options. On the high end, there's the TMU 553 (33", no grab rails) or the Thermal Oval Plus (36", w/grab rails but no inverted V/heated headrest), or just go all out and get the Amma 6636 which has all the options, but costs $900 more than the Azur.

For now, I'll download all the specifications. We need to decide where to place the window, so all I need right now is the drain location. Hopefully it will be the same on all the models so that we can stay flexible and decide depending on how the rest of our build goes.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I love my BainUltra. I have the Meridian Ellispe and I just love it. They've changed the design a bit since I bought mine but it is basically the same. I was limited as to space and I wanted an oval tub and this was perfect for me.

I do wish I was able to get the chromotherapy but at the time it was not available in the size tub I needed.

But you will love the BainUltra, I am in it at least 4 times a week and it is worth of penny of cost. We are just finishing up my bathroom and my air tub is not accessible and I miss it!!

Michelle

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

I have a 3 y.o. Meridian 60. Love the heated backrest and in retrospect the grab bars would have been great as well.

I personally would go insane from the chromatherapy. Could hardly bear to look at it in the store.

• minnt
    16 years ago

We just ordered the Alma, without the chromatherapy. I agree with the previous poster, it would drive me nuts. I can't wait to take the first bath in it. I went to a spa that had one installed and paid $45.00 for the pleasure of a soak in one. (The BainUltra website lists place where you can go to use one.) It was wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: My House Building Blog

• rtwill
    12 years ago

Bells and whistles at Bain Ultra are not worth it! I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether.

• skny0104
    10 years ago

Bumping this thread up...we are considering purchasing a Bain Ultra Meridian 55 with Geysair. After bringing husband to showroom, we are now considering extra features such as the chromatherapy and aromatherapy, which would add about $700. Does anyone have any recent experience? I may go back to the showroom and take another look...Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The only place I've seen either where I thought it might be worthwhile was aromatherapy in a steam shower, but even there, you can accomplish the same thing without the built-in feature. I'd look at other ways to get your scents and colored lights. That's really what you're talking about, and you can get the effect in much cheaper ways that are easier and cheaper to repair, replace or remove. We bought a changing color LED bulb for our sons to try in our gameroom during a party -- I think it was around $10-15. The novelty wore off after a couple of uses. Your experience could be similar.

• K Wood
    4 years ago

Does anyone have feedback on the strength of the air jets? I have a Bain ultra evanescence that was just installed and even at 10% the jets are insane. When I lay against the backrest water literally shoots up my back and onto my walls. I tried both “massage” and “wave” and it’s the same thing. Also apparently I can’t pause wave mode, but I can pause massage mode. Very strange.

• mariaoi
    2 years ago

K Wood call Bain Ultra directly. There are hidden controls that allow you to reduce the strength lower than standard. I have seen this on other posts as I am researching this brand as well.

• Karen Mitchell
    last year

I have the Bain Ultra Evanescence. I waited 8 months for the delivery and installation and I'm honestly disappointed in the tub. As the previous poster mentioned the jets at any level above 10% are just too powerful and uncomfortable. The "Geysair" is a joke and not worth it at all. It does not 'warm' the air and you are getting cold air blown into your tub. Even the 'heated' back rest is not very heated. It uses hot water to 'warm' the back of the tub, but the massage jets have to be on (it won't just warm the tub back alone). You can feel a very modest 'warm' back, but it is hardly noticeable. I have the Chromatherapy option and will admit that I do like the changing colors.

• Sara Stamey
    last year

I had a 60" BAin Ultra for about 10 years and loved it. Waiting to get a new one in house we are building. I liked the full force jets, but maybe they are stronger in newer models. Do get the raised seat with jets under thighs. I would not waste money on chromatherapy.