Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Is this vanity quote crazy expensive or is it just me?

piscesgirl
9 years ago

So we received our first vanity quote for our hall bathroom. I almost fell off my chair when I read the number. Over $8k! This is for a hall guest/kids bathroom (we don't have kids) so I want a nice cabinet, but I don't want to go crazy!

Quote is for Ultracraft Amherst cabinet door (full overlay, recessed wood panel with bead) painted white. Cabinet run is 78" long.

Vanity is 45" W by 24" D x 34.75" H (standard kitchen). No toe kick (we are going to add feet which we will purchase).

Linen hutch is 33" W. Base is 27" D x 34.75" H. Tower is 24" D and goes to ceiling (~59.75 H)...we have 8ft ceilings. Tower will have mirrored doors. Linen hutch will have a flush toekick.

The quote includes a fancy mullion, but even if we eliminated that it won't bring the price down that much. Even if it brought it down $1k I am still floored by the price.

I am going to talk to the store monday to see what we can do to lower the price. Off the cuff, they said the linen tower is driving over half the price.

Is this the price range we should expect? This is the first cabinet brand we have looked at. Any others we should consider? I know we are limited to semi-custom or custom brands because of desire to have the custom depths and heights, as well as eliminating toe kicks, etc.

Should we look at a custom cabinet maker? We live in just outside of Philly so automatically I thought Amish. My husband thinks custom will cost even more. Thoughts? I really would like to keep this item below $5k.

Comments (18)

• User
    9 years ago

firsthome,
    Just curious, do you not have a linen closet? Is that why you want the humongious linen closet thing? or cabinet/
    Yes, it is very high.
    Look around especially online, and the Amish isn't that pricey.
    Look here, check it out
    http://www.amishoutletstore.com/page.cfm?p=12076

• renais1
    9 years ago

The quote does not seem out of line. Nice cabinets are not cheap. If you eliminate the large linen closet and put in some shelves you would still have a very functional and beautiful room, but could probably save quite a bit.
    Renais

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's the door that's driving up the price mostly especially if the glass doors drive a matching interior (which could be eliminated since you are doing mirrors instead of clear)

The glass door cabinets I've spec'd have been triple the price of a solid door cabinet of the same dimensions.

But I think you could go custom for under $8K.

• User
    9 years ago

Mitered is more than stick and cope doors. No toekick is actually more than with toekick. The extra depth linen tower is lots extra $. The mullion doors and mirror is probably at least 2K of the costs. You've spec'd out some very expensive details in your choices.

So yes, if you expect that level of detail and quality for very much less, it's you. If you can lower your expectations and use standard sizes ad dimensions with no glass or mullions, you can do that for 4K or so in a very good cabinet line, including linen storage.

• piscesgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

butterfly4u - Currently we have a large linen closet in the room which is about 39" wide, but only has 31" inches of interior space due to the closet wall construction. We prefer a hutch type of cabinet because we feel it would look nicer and we would gain more space since we could eliminate the closet wall. However we don't want to loose the floor to ceiling storage by going with a shorter wall cabinet or a wall cabinet that is less deep.

Renais1 - I agree nice cabinets are not cheap, but we are not talking top of the line cabinets. These are not custom inset cabinets with custom colors. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice cabinets...we have the same brand of cabinets in our master bathroom. But we spent less than $3k on those (3 base cabinets 80" long - with a slightly more expensive door). I just wasn't expecting the hall cabinets to cost 3 times the amount. Thus my sticker shock.

palimpsest - I agree with your comment about glass door prices being triple...which don't make any sense to me. Even with an unfinished interior and without the glass or mirror, it still costs significantly more than a solid wood cabinet door. I don't grasp why since all it is, is a wood door without the center panel. (less material).

Does anyone have any suggestions on other brands we should look at or have any recommendations for reasonable custom cabinet makers? Thanks!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

In June I got a 57" vanity from Columbia. Stained clear alder, two 3-drawer stacks with slab fronts, one sink cab with shaker doors. Toe kick. Dovetail drawer construction, full extension, everything soft-close. $1900 delivered from Canada.

• User
    9 years ago

Look at Dynasty/Omega, but if you keep the same expensive specs, you can expect similar pricing in pretty much any line that can do all of that. Put the vanity in the standard 21'' vanity depth, and the linen tower can be the standard kitchen 24'' depth to give you the depth change look. That eliminates all of te custom depth charges. Eliminate all of the mullions and mirror. Use standard toekick, and get rid of the baseboard molding on the tower, and just apply the decorative legs with velcro the vanity. It will be much easier to keep clean.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

It's a bit high, but not outrageous. Definitely shop around and get other bids. When bidding the cabinetry for our bath remodel, the prices ranged from $4200 to $6500 for the same product. Some places just think highly of themselves. You'll find one that's more realistic if you look around.

• piscesgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks hollysprings - I was told with Ultracraft, it is a higher priced cabinet line but mods that are 3" or less were at no cost. I believe the "no toe kick" also doesn't cost any extra. We wanted at least some portion of the vanity to have no toe kick so we could slide our scale underneath. Currently it sits on the closet floor.

Jewel654 - My husband was hoping for a one and done quick decision, but we are going to shop around and get more bids now we see the price is so high. I will be happy with a price closer to $4000 to $5000.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

I recently had a local cabinet guy build me a 84" l x 21" d dual sink vanity, 52" l x 21" d make up vanity, 18" w x 21" d floor to ceiling linen cabinet, and a 48" w x 36" head knocker all custom specs with hamper, hair dryer, ironing board pullouts and full extension soft close everything for $2100. Granted that was unfinished because I have control issues. LOL.

I think that cabinet quote seems high. Probably with all the mirror and details it may not be but I would definitely explore other options. But that design is beautiful. The linen door is the show stealer.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Since you know exactly what you want, ask for a bid from some local cabinet makers. Be very specific on your details and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

-Babka

• enduring
    9 years ago

These comments are not about the cost of your cabinets but thoughts on your layout. I do not have much info on cost.

One note to go along with Hollysprings' suggestion about vanity depth. I have a 21" depth vanity and I find it a little too deep for comfortable makeup application. I have a vanity in another room and it is 18" deep and perfect for getting close to the mirror. I would not like a 24" vanity at a mirror.

The hanging cabinet will be heavy. I don't care for the look in your design either. Hanging seems too modern with your style. I don't know about installation of hanging cabinets, but I would think the wall would need much reenforcement.

Instead:

What if you have an arched toe kick on the tower (like they do in kitchens at the sink, etc) that recedes back 14" to the toe kick and wide enough for your scale? Your tower would look like it is standing on legs. I have a deep tower in my new bathroom and have a 12" deep toe kick for my scale, it could be a bit deeper because it does stick out about 1/2 inch but not in my walking or standing path, so no issue. Another tip with my scale that I came up with is, I laid it on a square of ribbed clear shelf lining. Very durable. It hangs out about an inch. I grab the lining and slide my scale out from its storage spot. Then when done, my toe pushes it back in, sliding easily on the floor. The little rubber feet on the scale bottom would bump along my tile, making moving it difficult. Also my scale was hard for my fingers to grab onto to pull it out of its cubby. The shelf lining is flexible and sturdy to pull.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I donâÂÂt know if you are handy or not but I just ordered some custom sized cabinets from Conestoga but we have to assemble ourselves. We have a 78 7/8â run with a vertical storage tower 18â x 48â plus a crown. IâÂÂm getting paint grade hard maple inset painted crystal white. Feet are on face frame with open bottom (I bang bottoms up with vacuum so this works for me). The drawers are dovetailed birch clearcoated finished. Face frames þâ thick hard maple, doors þâ thick. Solid wood shelving. Clearcoated birch plywood interiors. Base cabinets 34 1/2" H. inset integrated blumotion soft close & Blum Tanden. The lower cabinets are 21â deep but we will bump out the 18"w x 21" d middle drawer section so two finished sides plus two finished sides on tower. Thee drawers lower and one in tower. Including shipping the price is $1,741. Within that price was two special sized 30 3/8 âÂÂwide cabinets. I did not pick expensive doors though and all inset drawers are paint grade maple slab. Exteriors are factory finished painted in Crystal White colortone which is a slightly warm white.

Mine would be pretty good quality inset without all of your bells and whistles like pricier doors and glass.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 19:02

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Not too far out of line, that's a nice design and I'm sure they build a great product.
    I priced a set of those mullion doors 8 years ago from Conestoga (they make them) and a pair that would cover 30x48 in cabinet-grade hardwood (can't remember if walnut or mahogany) was 1100, just the unfinished doors.
    Remember: curved work is always a premium.
    Casey

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Sombreuil, did you use Conestoga in your bathrooms as well? I never tire of looking at your kitchen and would love to see your bath pictures.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

In my mid grade line, Kemper, this is $4800. Instead of the hutch, I did an actual standard kitchen pantry cabinet (with roll out trays below) as that will keep the costs down for the countertop too and give you better storage. I did the left side of the single one piece vanity (rather than several cabinets joined together) as an integrated decorative panel, and it's a mitered door (which I wouldn't recommend in a bathroom) with a standard painted finish, and the void toe kick upcharge ($40). And it includes some pretty expensive leaded glass inserts ($480) to mimic mullions which aren't available for the door in that size.

I don't have any doubts that if I did the original design in my higher end line that it would be every bit as expensive as you were quoted. Those curved muntin doors are a VERY big part of the quote, as is doing the hutch in two separate cabinets instead of a single linen cabinet. If you want to keep your costs down, some of the design elements will need to be altered. #1 on the list for me would be the curved muntins in favor of square ones.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

@jterrilynn,
    no I went a totally different route in the upstairs bath
    Casey

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

This is a long shot but you might want to look on craigslist for a small china hutch cabinet with mullion doors or something you like and then design the bathroom around that. The cabinet could be painted to match or be left alone. Or if you find one cheap enough just buy it for the doors. Sometimes you will find just the tops of china cabinets because the bottom is sold as TV/media cabinet. You can get those for a song. You would not have to sacrifice quality and the tops could be adjusted with moulding.

Arhaus asking $800 but you could probably end up getting it for $500

Asking $140 at a thrift

This would be a good buy just for the doors, they are asking $600 but the oriental cabinets like this are not selling well. Could probably get it for $400 or less.

This is a Ralph Lauren, asking $600. This would be very pretty painted white.

Sombruil, I just love your house! Everything looks so well done.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 15:19