Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excellent "See-thru" Lighting option for Vanity To

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 17:08

I am a fabricator.

Just sharing info. It is possible to illuminate onyx vanity tops from underneath and have a "glowing" countertop.

This feature has been around a long time but it was always problematic when incandescent or flourescent lighting was used due to space, heat, and servicability issues.

In the last few years LED based lighting products have become available that allow lighting the underside of onxy vanity tops with no heat issues and projected lifetimes of 50,000 hours for the actual lights.

This is a beautiful effect and the LED based lighting products also allow using a dimmer.

We have also done this for bar tops and full height splash. It's not particualrly complicated or difficult but it does require coordination between the cabinet and granite guys and also judicious selection of the onyx or other material to insure you'll get enough light transmission.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excellent "See-thru" Lighting option for Vanity To

Oldryder,

your post is timely. Not about onyx, but about the LED lighting. My DH has just asked me to look into using those paper thin LED strips when we reno the next BR. He's thinking around the tub surround somehow. I haven't begun the research. Have you seen or heard of anyone using the strip lighting this way?

I think we are just beginning to tap the potential of using LED's. Bet in 50 years they will be laughing at those flourescent curly cue bulbs!

o
RE: Excellent "See-thru" Lighting option for Vanity To

raehelen;

it can be used pretty much anywhere. for best results you need some space (at least an inch) between the underside of the stone and the light mat. The LED's are point sources so you need to allow the light from the LED array to diffuse to prevent bright spots showing thru the stone which detracts from the effect. A light diffuser sheet similar to what you see on interior flourescent tube fixtures can be placed over the LEDs to help even out the lighting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here