Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Grout Beveled Travertine

Posted by carrie2 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 17:08

I need some advice. I bought a 12" travertine for my bathroom floor. It is 3/8" high and has what looks like a 1/16th" bevel. I need to know what size grout line to use and also whether the grout should come up to the bottom of the bevel or to the top of the tile. Even with a 1/16" grout line, it seems if the grout comes to the top of the tile I'll automatically have a 3/16" grout line. Also what kind of grout should I use--sanded or unsanded? Hope someone can help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Grout Beveled Travertine

Use a 1/16" grout joint. Those bevels are about 1/32" each, and you'll end up with what appears to be an 1/8" joint. You don't want the grout to be flat and flush to the top of the tile, but you DO want to fill in the bevel, with the joint sinking in JUST A HAIR in the middle once it's washed and finished. and yes, you still use unsanded grout.

o

This will give you an idea of what it will look like. Bill's right on (as usual). My grout lines are 1/8" and were installed with 1/16" spacing and unsanded grout.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thank you both for the good advice. Beautiful bathroom, Kevin!

o

KevinMP, that is such an unbelievably gorgeous bathroom. And it would go perfectly with my master bedroom. If only I could just plop it right in where my master bath is now! What size is that shower? Really stunning.

o

Thanks. The shower is not huge: 36" x 60" footprint. I just finished the remodel this spring and, as you can tell from my other post, owe a debt of gratitude to these forums. I didn't do the tile myself but was very skeptical about my grout lines because of the bevel on my marble tile. My contractor (and Bill V without knowing it) reassured me. Although I thought they were too wide at first, I've grown to like them and the contrast caused by the gray grout. A lot of people use straight edge tile, and they really should know how the bevel affects the grout lines. But, like I said, I've grown to like it, and it saved me 40% on the tile costs (I was actually able to get my honed calacatta gold for less than $13 a square foot, which is a steal).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here