Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-Vitreous Tile for Shower Chair Rail and Niches?

Posted by tracie.erin (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 17:04

I messed up and bought a non-vitreous, unglazed chair rail for use in the shower. The description says it is travertine. My husband is installing it DIY and has installed about 3/4 of it. It runs around the shower perimeter at 61" from the floor. My husband is very handy, but this is his first tile job and it is taking him a long time.

Shall I brave peril, ask him to take it down, and try to find something else? Or will I be OK with annual sealing? Do I seal before grouting?

If the chair rail's OK, can I use a 2x2 of another non-vitreous tile for the niches (back, sides, top & bottom? It looks like the same stone but the description does not say it's travertine. The niches are on the wall opposite the showerhead, 39" and 65" from the floor.

The chair rail at Lowes.com

The potential niche tile at Lowes.com

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here