Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Carrara basketweave kids' bathroom nearly done; pics

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I still need to paint, hang sink and install steel legs, get glass wall for shower, and hang a mirror. But I'm so pleased with how it looks so far and wanted to share details.

{{gwi:1481387}}

{{gwi:1481388}}

{{gwi:1481389}}

{{gwi:1474033}}

Floor tile: carrara marble basketweave from internet retailer at $14 per sq ft

Wall Tile: Daltile 3x6 subway in Arctic White Matte

Deco: Nero black 5/8 strips around a 1' strip of carrara.

Niche: Carrara chair rail, carrara shelves, and 1x1 mosaic of carrara in the back.

Light grey grout: Silver Shadow Laticrete

Toilet and wall hung sink: original to home (late 1940s, early 1950s)

This replaces a traditional old house bath with pinwheel tile on the floor, 4x4 white wall tall, and a tub that was never used.

Thanks to many here for inspiration and guidance.

Comments (20)

• marisany
    15 years ago

How beautiful! It looks so clean and fresh. I especially love the details - the mosaic in the niche, the Carrera between the black strips. Very well done!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Your kids will be spoiled with all that gorgeous tilework!

Do you have, or can you take, closeup pix of the floor and let me know the name of the internet retailer? I'm heading in this direction.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, bluekit. Here is a closeup of the floor:

{{gwi:1481390}}

I will email his information to you. I'm not sure if it is okay to post vendor names & information or not.

also, did you see my post on kitchens? My blue kitchen has 36 hours left to live! I think I might get some blue pendants or something blue to honor what came before.

Anita

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I cannot put my hands on the company name at the moment. The vendor's name is Dave and I contacted him at travertine.carrara@yahoo.com.

I got his name from a neighbor who had just used this same tile in her bathroom; her mom is an interior designer and she sourced this supplier. I am very happy with the quality and the service he provided.

Anita

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

I absolutely love this bathroom! You did a fantastic job of getting the most bang for your buck with all of your carrera choices. Well-done!

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

Such a classic look - you did a wonderful job. Enjoy!

• suzie-kit
    15 years ago

Beautiful work!!! Love the tile and little extras you added in the shower.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

You should be happy! Lovely job, really like the way you dealt with your accent tile and niche.

Don't forget to update us when you're ready!

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Spectacular! I love the look.

• busybme
    15 years ago

Anita, it looks great! Fantastic job and I love the basketweave!

Sandy

• mythreeblondes
    15 years ago

Beautiful job! I am just doing a similar shower niche and your example helps immensley with the tile guy.

How big is your niche?
    Thanks!

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Very nice!

Classic, timeless, most excellent, both in color and material.

The only recommendation? That product you have in your niche, I've used that in my hair before and the result was not pretty. I recommend you toss it in the bin and try another hair care product.

Be well-coiffed,

Mongo

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mongo, you are too funny! I wondered if anyone would catch that...

My three blondes - Interior finished dimensions are about 13" wide by 18" tall. The width was determined by the space between the studs so it was framed at 16" but by the time all the finish materials are added I end up w/ 13".

Anita

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1406123}}

I love it! I thought for a while about replacing it with a vanity but I'm so glad I kept it. It is in really good condition and looks gorgeous.

Anita

• rachel4595
    15 years ago

Did you order the carrara accent pieces and black marbe accent pieces from the same internet guy? M husband and I are doing pretty much the same thing with carrara basketweave and white subways, but really like your accent and are going to add that now. ALso, is your floor honed or polished? Is that a carrara piece on top of the subway tiles on the walls too? Thanks for the inspiration!

• lauren674
    15 years ago

It's beautiful!

• callieandkarin
    15 years ago

Lovely tile work! As others have said, i love how you planned the niche and inserted the black marble mosaic border.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rachel,

I got the accent pieces from a local stone warehouse, and the carrara pencil liner on top from a different internet source. (TilePost I'm thinking? On sale for $6.99 per foot). Found it, here is the link. It is still on sale.

http://tilepost.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26&zenid=t405qf0cgqefervb87etj1gn10
    I was a little concerned about bringing the carrara together from 3 different sources but there is enough variety in the carrara that it all works.

The accent pieces were on 1' square sheets and I just cut it into strips for the accent band. The challenge was that these pieces are a bit thicker than the subway field tile, so the tile setter had to butter the adjacent edges a little thicker to make them all flush.

My floor is honed. The carrara on the wall is also honed, but the black marble dot is polished.

Good luck! Anita

• nc8861
    15 years ago

Can you let me know if you find the retailer name too? I found this pattern locally at the tile shop, but it had too much brown tone in it, and we were looking for whites and greys like yours.

• bobcatm
    14 years ago

Hopefully you are still reading this forum --

Your shower looks great -- I'm doing a similar design and have a few question about the niche...

1) does the "picture" frame molding around the niche sit flush/butt to the wall tile or does it overlay the wall tile? If it overlays how did you thinset it on?
    very thick layer of thin set to the niche box?
    niche box protruded out a bit from the backer board?

2) I've only been able to find the shelves like yours for approx $80 each - was yours a stock item or did you have
    them cut?

Thanks

Bob M