Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snarkyinla_gw

Finally done"

snarkyinla
11 years ago

3 months, 3 baths and one kitchen all officially "updated" now. Original built in 1985.

As FYI: espresso cabinets/vanities are the originals just refinished and new doors with one section of custom built in the dining room, ikea pulls, all countertops are are blizzard cesearstone, master bath is honey onyx tile, second bath is home depot white subway with jasba mandarin penny rounds, powder room has a copper vessel sink. Most everything else like the lights and mirrors are sale or flea market finds, or else home depot, ikea, or lowes. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Before /after pics

Comments (15)

• kmcg
    11 years ago

Great job - you must be thrilled with the dramatic changes! I really love those red penny rounds with the subway. So fun and lively, as is your graphic powder room.

I'm curious about your sliding shower doors. How wide is your shower opening, and what brand of doors did you choose? I think the bar at the top looks quite good, so I might look into this brand if it's readily available. (It's hard to think of sliders without remembering the kind of skimpy slider look of the 70s and 80s, and these are such an improvement!)

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! The shower opening is right around 5', just a tad under with the tile and all. I actually went with a custom glass door company here in LA called DEsign in Elegance (they are the supplier for Pacific Sales where I got my appliances). I chose a custom door for a couple of reasons, even tho most of what I did during the renovation I tried to do on the cheap.

My tile guy said if I got a home depot door he would install it for me, but the cost and delivery hassle made the custom option about $200 more in price, and these doors also looked better. Then as we went on it turns out the wall is slanted a pretty big slope and the custom people could handle that kind of thing better than my tile guy could with a prefab door. I chose to get the 1/4" glass because they said that was all I really needed for this size door. It does feel very lightweight though and rattled something fierce in the last earthquake.

What is also nice is about a month after I bought it it got completely off track during cleaning and I was afraid to try to fix it for fear of breaking the door. They came out at no charge and fixed it, and showed me how to fix it in the future.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

It looks great. I love the way you made everything work with the floor tile. Your kitchen turned out really well, too.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Very nicely done. I too think you did a fab job matching the tile with your elements. Your kitchen looks great with that long white counter, replacing the short counter height peninsula. Really fun look to your bathrooms.

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, funny how one thing can be such a driving factor, but it was indeed all about the Saltillo tile floors! They must've been expensive from a prior owner and I did my darnedest to work with them... Everything from material and color choices to the fact that I kept the original cabinets and vanities so th footprint wouldn't change.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

what great differences the changes make! I love that kind of tile - glad you made it work for you.

what's the tp holder in the one bath that shows one - looks more like a towel holder and is nickel maybe? do you like that kind? I'm wanting to change mine but not sure how that type would be. They look to be much easier to change out but does it stay on? I want something easier on my hands to change out.

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

You did a great job! I like your wall color choices and the tile in your master bath is gorgeous. It's nice that you were able to reuse the cabinets by refinishing them, and you saved the high-quality floor tile too. Well done.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

You accomplished so much in such a short time! I love your bold colors. Congratulations on a job very well done.

• pooks1976
    11 years ago

Wow great job. I love how the subway tile makes the hall bath look wider than it did with the square tile and love what looks like a large overhang on the vanity, really good use of space.

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Desertsteph, the TP holder is from Lowes and is polished chrome. It is on the larger size, but is designed for TP. I think it's designed to have a big flourish, though it's hidden on mine under the overhang.mit works just dandy.i like holders that are open on one end, makes changing rolls easy.

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

Nice job! How much time did the planning take prior to demolition and install? You must have incredible decision making ability.

Regarding toilet paper holder, I wouldn't have any other kind than what you have chosen for your new bath. I also like the niche design - very vertical with LOTS of room.

Really like your kitchen. Don't want to minimize your changes but I am envious of the efficiency of your layout even in the "before" version. Your changes have added nice aesthetics but you also had good "bones". I love a good small efficient kitchen and yours is exceptional. Adding more storage in the adjacent dining area was brilliant.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

snarky - thx for the info on the tp holder. I'll look for it my next trip to lowe's (later this wk). sounds just like what I want - easy on/easy off. Maybe the big 'flourish' helps to keep it on. my sister has one that is straight and short and the roll comes off too easily. when you don't want it to.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

I love the bathroom redos!! Very well thought out and shows how you can work with some of the original aesthetics and still come up with something fresh and with improved functionality.

• snarkyinla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ephalba, I bought the place 2 years ago and always new the kitchen/baths would have to be done "eventually". Then in March of this year the ancient dishwasher broke and couldn't be replaced because it had been tiled into the spot by a previous owner. That sort of forced my hand to do the renovations now. I already knew that I wanted to extend the counters down the dining room wall to replace the cabinet lost over the breakfast bar. Beyond that it was just a matter of finding contractors and materials...

• suzanne10023
    11 years ago

I love the espresso and baby blue combination in the kitchen ... the red accents ... the honey onyx shower - yum!

And I really like how you put more than one mirror in each bathroom, with the medicine cabinet on the side (is that right?) rather than opening right into your face.