Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow tile from 50's, wall paint color...?

Posted by pepperidge_farm (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 16:28

Well, I hate choosing paint color for walls, just not great at it.

My inlaws have a 50's bathroom that DH just finished stripping down the wall paper and now wants a paint color... tile is yellow. I am stumped.
Porcelain light blue?? pale robin's egg blue?

Mom loves purple, but would that look too much like an Easter egg? (although that may actually appeal to her...)

help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow tile from 50's, wall paint color...?

Is it a pale yellow or bright yellow? I love yellow and green together.

o

I know that 50's yellow tile, having had it myself in an earlier house. I once saw a great bathroom with that tile. The owners had achieved a country French effect, using lots of blue-and-white fabric. Can't remember the details, though, it was years ago.

o

I'd do the walls in a soft gray that has just a slight tint of blue.

o

It might look like an easter egg, but it's HER bath. Find a fabric she likes with purple and yellow that complements the tiles and take your wall and accessory colors from it.

o

The bath I just tore out had that "lovely" 50's yellow tile...I feel the decorating pain! :)

It might be more than you want to take on, but when we moved in I painted the wall cream white, then spongepainted a medium to light blue on. Then I did a wallpaper border around the ceiling with a cream background and a yellow swirling pattern that had some green accent. I paired it with yellow and blue towels, and it did make a huge improvement on the room at the time!

o

I think you're right not to paint it purple Pepperidge, that's a "what was I thinking moment" (and subsquent do over) waiting to happen, unless of course you're able to find something that is very subtle.

o
After thought

Umm...I just thought of this as I was hitting the submit button, but how about a nice creamy off white for the walls. It looks so pretty with yellow and then you can bring in all the other colors like Purples with towels, curtains and accessories?

o

Appreciate the thoughts and input...

maybe a cream color, sort of a much paler version of the tiles (they are simply yellow, not pale not bright just yellow) and add some blue/provence style, thus bridging the yellow tile... hmmm, it's a small room, I could probably stencil something.... flowers

keep any ideas coming!!!

o

I think a pale gray would be lovely....

o

I think the cream walls would help to tone the yellow down. I love the combination, so much so, I have it in a couple of rooms in my own house.

o

How about white? Not creamy white... BM has a white that is white. Nothing else, just white. It's called decorators white.

White with blue toile would be nice.

o

Grey is nice with yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here