Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/4 inch glass for shower door?

Posted by kateyd (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 16:16

I just got a quote for a shower enclosure. It is frameless, a fixed panel and 28 inch door for a 4 foot tiled shower, total about 46 inches across. The quote was for 1/4 inch clear glass and was $1095, installed. This is a local shop, they do the best work in out town. Does any one have a custom door with 1/4" glass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/4 inch glass for shower door?

Frameless in 1/4"?? Dont do it... 3/8 is the minimum for a hinged door that size...

If the stationary panel is only attached at one wall and the curb, my door guy makes those out of 1/2" glass for added stability. Since your fixed panel is only 18" wide, I'd say you're safe with 3/8" glass.

o

Thanks for the response, I was really liking that price but I thought I should ask for opinions. The shower door we took down is 1/4 inch frameless door but has a track across top and bottom holding fixed panel. It kinda wobbles a bit when we open it and is not as tall ( was on a fiberglass shower). The estimate for 3/8 glass was over $2100 for door and fixed panel, about 46 inches across.

o

I got a Showerguard door just a little bit bigger than yours for about $1500 (3/8" glass). None of my bids which included 1/2" and Starphire were higher than $1600. I am in Portland, OR.

o

46" wide...go with french doors to eliminate the fixed panel. A much improved installation.

o

The estimate for 3/8 glass was over $2100

Get another estimate...

Things cost a fortune where I am, and I still dont pay that much... I had 6' frameless bypass sliders 3/8" glass installed in a customers home last month for $800. My own shower has a 1/2" panel 42"x 72, and a 3/8" door 28"x72"... I paid $1500.

o

I'm a union Glazier glass showers should always be at least 3/8 inch glass, common for middleclass residential... 1/2inch is a higher end product. Do not do 1/4 inch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here