Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codnuggets

keeping soap scum at bay

codnuggets
15 years ago

I remember a post a while back about which soap brands minimize soap scum residue, and now I can't find it. Anyone have any advice on this? We're about to start using the new shower and I'd like to keep it looking like a new shower.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    15 years ago

Very simply, do NOT use bar soap. Use liquid soap only. Bar soap contains animal fat fillers and it is this that produces soap "scum." Anytime I do a tile shower for a customer, that is the advice I give them. In addition, either squeegee or towell the walls dry when you're done. If you do this, the shower will last forever.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

If you must use bar soap I've read that Zest is best at not leaving soap scum.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I might have to take back my last post. I just googled some info on Zest, and it seems that it no longer is the same formula.

Here is an old thread on soap scum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia article on Zest

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

I've always been a Zest fan. We have about 90 of the 4.5 oz "old formulation" bars on hand in the bathroom pantry.

It's a pity if the article is true and they did indeed change the formulation.

Still Zest-fully clean,

Mongo

• codnuggets
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's true alright. This change appears to be the personal hygiene industry equivalent of New Coke. I have not seen a single positive comment about this change. And now my shower is destined to be scummy. Rats.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

Argh! Why did I read this?

I have so much bar soap in the linen closet...maybe I should just drop it off at a shelter or something when my renovation is done. Every time I see a bar of soap, I'm going to think about animal fat. Bleck!

• mmme
    15 years ago

My goodness, I had no idea. Will any liquid soap do? DH has skin allergies so I am limited to very mild soaps (like unscented Dove bar soap). I hope I won't have to choose between the health of my husband's skin and the cleanliness of my new shower. :-)

And while we're on the topic of keeping our glorious new tile clean :-) I wonder what else is good to do? I do have a squeegee and have been using that after each shower. My excellent tile guy also wanted to recommend a spray that can be used regularly to keep mildew etc at bay, but he couldn't remember the name. Does anyone here know of such a thing?

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Dial Clean Rinse is very nice but not a first choise for sensitive skin.

• toadangel
    15 years ago

may be a myth but i think clear glycerine soap doesn't leave soap scum... at least i've never had a problem with it. i buy mine from the Body Shop.

lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: mango soap

• cleo07
    15 years ago

What about the Dr Bronners's Castille bar soaps. They are made with vegetable based fats?

I just discovered these liquid and bar soaps and use them for both personal and household use and would think they would minimize scum???

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr Bronners

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    15 years ago

While I'm not certain, I believe that Dove uses no animal fat as a binder. Aside that, almost any good liquid soap is fine. Me? VITABATH FOREVER!!

• pkirkha1
    15 years ago

With the new bathrooms I only allow liquid soap and just what - no soap scum what so ever! What a breeze to clean. We love - Neutrogena rainbath in the large pump bottle.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

From what I've read it's the talc in bar soap that creates the scum.

• Debbie Pye
    3 years ago

From everything what

Used to be that Zest was the go-to brand for no-scum bar soap. The name was bought by another brand, and now it is one of the scummiest. Ick. I have found that Lever 2000 is a good quality, inexpensive bar soap that leaves virtually no scum.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz