Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinshasa18

Finished master bathroom (photos)

kinshasa
14 years ago

We lived seven years in Africa and India so our house has many ethnic pieces of artwork, furniture, and rugs in warm colors. I wanted to carry this theme into the bathroom but in an understated way.

I fell in love with the Vetrazzo countertop and that is the showpiece of the bathroom. The color (Bistro Green) is off because of the fluorescent lighting.

The horizontal accent is Mexican talavera tile--- two terra cotta, one sunflower, repeat. It runs through the shower, along the wall with the window, and finishes above the tub.

The glass between the shower and the tub was formerly a 5" wall which we knocked down to open up the room. A 36"x66" mirror above the vanity doubles the size of the 8'x9' bathroom.

Sinks: Kohler Kelston

Faucets: Kohler Forte single hole in brushed nickel

Countertop: Vetrazzo Bistro Green

Tub: Kohler drop in, very simple tub

Tub surround is LG HI-MACS Sonora Granite. It extends into the shower to create a bench and also the shower floor.

Shower& bath: Moen Brantford shower trim & tub spout in brushed nickel.

Towel bar: Danze Sonora series in brushed nickel

Toilet tissue holder: Danze Sonora series in brushed nickel (not shown)

Vanity: Custom built, 66" long, white oak, with brushed nickel hardware (not shown)

Light fixture: Hinkley Devon four light wall sconce in brushed nickel (not shown)

Toilet: Toto Drake ADA (not shown)

Floor tile and wall tile: One is CSP Slate Earth, don't remember the other color, both porcelain.

Comments (21)

• raehelen
    14 years ago

Wow! That is gorgeous! Hard to believe you fit all that into just an 8' X 9'space!

I see what you mean about your countertop- what a showpiece!

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention the paint. The color is Valspar Golden Chime. We held up a painted swatch of dry wall and it was great. But the final color is a little darker than I'd liked. The gold picks up the sunflower and the warm tones in the Vetrazzo countertop.

The entire project took three weeks. Demolition began August 17, and the shower doors and mirror were installed September 4. My contractor did a super job organizing the various workers --- painter, electrician, plumber, tile guys, etc.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Lovely! And in three weeks.... wow!

I really like the look of carrying your tub front across to the shower bench and floor! Very smart!!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Love those accent tiles in the shower.

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gbsim, the shower bench as an extension of the tub surround was my contractor's idea. We thumbed through the Sunset bathroom book and found a similar design (p.129). We had to move the plumbing to the opposite shower wall in order to do it, because there was a 5" wall between the shower and the tub. You would gag if I posted "before" photos: peeling wallpaper, duct tape on the bathtub, mold on the ceiling. Maybe I'll get around to it.

I wasn't interested in a fancy bathtub with a whirlpool, just a simple functional tub. Really, for a master bathroom, it's small. We bought our house for the land (2 acres), not the size of the rooms. Most people wouldn't look twice at our master bedroom.

I forgot to mention the backsplash, an olive green glass tile. I ordered a faux wood blind for the window in a honey color.

My contractor was amazing. If anyone needs a recommendation in NorCal, let me know.

• busybme
    14 years ago

Good job! And congrats on finishing the project in such a timely fashion!

I really like your shower glass. I'm not in northern Cal. but would be interestd to know who did it for you.

Sandy

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Very pretty!!

What is the tub model name? I am looking for a very simple drop-in tub that's for bath-taking (not dual-use with shower_ and so doesn't have those annoying and hard-to-clean anti-skid things in the bottom. Looks like yours does not?

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The drop-in tub is Kohler K-1107-0, 60" x 32". The bottom is smooth. It's tough to find a tub faucet (not Roman tub faucet) that doesn't have a diverter for a shower. An upscale plumbing store suggested that tub model. I also ordered the valve trim and showerhead from them. I ordered several things online: toilet, sinks, sink faucets, towel bar, toilet tissue holder.

The shower glass was done locally by a company called Superior Shower. It was different because they had to angle it around the tub surround/bench.

• jessie21
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love the countertop, backsplash and the shower. I think you have used various surfaces so imaginatively and beautifully throughout!

Can you tell me the measurements of your shower?

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The shower itself is 36" x 36" WITHOUT the bench.

Random thoughts: if you are going to get an expensive countertop, drill as few holes as possible in it. That's why we used a single hole faucet.
    Likewise, for the shower and tub we used one simple control for the water (pressure/temperature) in addition to the showerhead and tub faucet. We didn't want the fixtures to detract from the sunflower talavera tile.

We tried to carry the colors of the sunflower (terra cotta, gold and green) and the Vetrazzo countertop through the bathroom. I am using dark brown towels which look great against the gold wall.

My contractor told me not to put a towel bar on the shower door as that would detract from the shower decoration.

We probably should have done this long ago. Our house is 19 years old. My next project is what we call "the boys' bathroom" because my sons used it growing up. It's bigger than the master bathroom.

What got me into this project was: my daughter said she would not let my grandson take a bath in a tub with duct tape!

• minac
    14 years ago

I love the countertop with the cabinets. Could you tell me the name of your floor tile? I'm trying to figure out a floor tile for my bathroom and I like your floor tile. I tried to look up CSP but I wasn't sure what that stood for. Thanks.

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll call the tile place tomorrow and find out.

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just checked my files and have the information. It's Stone Peak ceramics (SPC), not CSP. The floor tile is Ville Taranto and the wall tile is Slate Earth. The forum wouldn't allow me to post a follow-up to my follow-up without changing the subject, so I hope this is posted in the same thread.

• minac
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the tile details. I'm going to see if I can get a sample.

• heidi877
    14 years ago

Can you please tell me more about the vetrazzo countertop? This is an option I have been considering. Did you have to buy a whole slab or just the piece you needed? Do you mind sharing the cost? Thanks!

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Vetrazzo countertop is even more gorgeous than I thought. We needed less than half a slab for our 66" vanity. A full slab is 60" x 108", I think. A local tile comany which carries Vetrazzo took care of the fabrication and installation. My contractor has a great Corian fabricator but he didn't want to take the responsibility if it broke in transit, etc. They did a really super job. The half slab with fabrication and installation was $2825. I laugh when I think that this expensive countertop holds two $70 sinks!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tub name!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link, kinshasa! I *love* the drawer pulls with the sink lines. What a fascinating idea to do the entire tub surround out of solid surface. How was that fabricated? Was there a lot of on-site seaming? Many people would have done the vertical walls, too, for ease of cleaning. I contemplated some kind of grout-free vertical walls for a long time before realizing I couldn't bring it in within our budget.

Really do love the curve/linear.

• bigeyedfish
    14 years ago

Random question that probably had nothing to do with the bathroom renovation:

What type of wood and color of stain is your bathroom door & trim? I like the color and simple wood grain, and we are wanting to do something similar in our house. Thanks!

• kinshasa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flyleft, the solid surface tub surround was fabricated off site by my GC's fabricator guy. He also did the granite counter tops in my kitchen last spring. I don't know about on-site seaming because I wasn't present for most of the construction.

Bigeyedfish, my bathroom door was scratched and yucky after 19 years of use. The GC asked the painter to sand and restain the door. I don't know the wood or stain color.

• lina_2006
    14 years ago

Love your bathroom and hope you still check in to answer questions!
    My bathroom is 8' x 8' and I really am set on a separate tub and shower. I figure from your shower and tub dimensions, they are on the 9' wall - is that right? Also, could you post a pic to show how LG HI-MACS looks in the shower? Is it sloped to allow the water to drain?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals