Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laticrete grout and also sealer-for-marble questions

Posted by docrck (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 15:58

Hi

We are redoing two bathrooms and I'm looking for some advice regarding grout and sealers.

The first bathroom floor will be honed carrera marble basket-weave with bardiglio dots. The second bathroom floor will be 2 inch carrera marble hexagons. The walls in both bathrooms will be 3X6 white subway tiles.

In terms of products, we're going with Laticrete. So based on everything I've read so far, is our understanding below correct?
-Use UNSANDED grout on the floors (because they are marble AND I expect the grout lines to be less than 1/8 inch).
-If this is correct, then Laticrete permacolor grout is the one to use and not spectralock.

Regarding sealing the marble tile on the floors (both the hex's and the basket-weave), should we:
-Seal BOTH before it is grouted AND after grouting as well?
-Use a solvent-based sealer (as opposed to a water-based one)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

docrck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laticrete grout and also sealer-for-marble questions

-Use UNSANDED grout on the floors (because they are marble AND I expect the grout lines to be less than 1/8 inch).
-If this is correct, then Laticrete permacolor grout is the one to use and not spectralock.

Not exactly. The unsanded grout from Laticrete is their 1600 series grout. BOTH the Permacolor AND Spectralock have a sand in them that's so fine that they can be used for ANY situation. The Permacolor is a cement based grout, and the Spectralock is an epoxy. (IOW, ANY of the three could be used in this situation)

As for Sealers, use a solvent based sealer after it's grouted.

o

Thanks very much Bill V.

Since any of the three grouts could be used, do you have a preference or recommendation for which one to go with? Is there one that would be best to use?

Also, any recommendation on which solvent-based sealer to use after the tiles are grouted?

Many thanks in advance,

docrck

o

My choice would be the permacolor, even though it's a little tougher to use. As for sealer, Miracle's 511 impregnator will work well.

o

Thanks Bill V. Most helpful. Can you help me understand what you mean by "tougher to use"? I don't think my contractor has used this before so I want to be sure I know what it entails and can follow this with him. Many thanks again

o

Is there a legitimate concern that grouting can cause stains on an unsealed honed marble? We were going to seal before grouting our floors as a precaution. Is there any downside to sealing before grouting?

o

Hi

Wanted to bump this up again. Any thoughts on what makes Permacolor "tougher to use"?

Thanks!

docrck

o

wolfgang-- If you use a grout with a real fine pigment, yes it can stain (usually bold colors, like a deep red, or dark blue, green, brown, or black). And no, there's no down side to sealing prior to grouting.

docrck-- it's a quick setting grout, so you have to work faster than normal with it.

o

Thanks Bill. Will inform the contractor of this and keep everyone posted.

Reno starts on Monday!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here