Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Use of Carrera Marble on Tub Deck?!?!

Posted by Cari_Schaefer (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:57

Having design problems with use of marble on our new tub deck. The front of the tub will have a piece of marble that is 4 inches wide & 60 inches long. Contractor is concerned that it will crack/break due to fact we will most likely sit on the edge while getting in & out of the tub. I thought we should have the fabricator install rebar underneath the piece of marble & epoxy in. Will this make that piece stronger? I have seen several pictures of members who have used marble on deck of tub. Please let me know if you have any problems or issues?! Would love any feedback:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Use of Carrera Marble on Tub Deck?!?!

Best advice I could give would be to build a properly framed front wall on the tub surround to prevent deflection in the first place.

In the photo below, the top plate of the front wall is two 2x4s on edge supported by four vertical 2x4s. While the objective for the apron shown is different than yours, it's plenty sturdy. But you can modify as needed.

It's much better to eliminate structural movement for natural stone than to try to modify the stone to accommodate the movement of the structure that supports it.

o
RE: HELP! Use of Carrera Marble on Tub Deck?!?!

Thank you Mongoct for your advice & input! Your picture helped me with the visulaization I need to talk to my contractor with confidence. We can actually make this work. Again, thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here