Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aramaram

Comment on my layout please (3D drawing)

aramaram
9 years ago

Please give me your feedback on the below layout for my current remodel. It will be a curbless, doorless shower.

I also plan to install a skylight and would appreciate any suggestions on best placement for it. The rafters run left to right.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (16)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Where do you plan to put the drain in this shower, and what size is it? You are required to have between 1/4" and 1/2" slope towards the drain, with the entry point being at least 2" higher than the drain. In other words to do curbless correctly, you need at least a 48' shower with a trench drain at the far wall, and the joists lowered to accept that 2" required difference.

In other words, your shower does not appear to have enough size to be curbless.

• User
    9 years ago

The toilet also appears to be too close to the wall. You need 15'' minimum from the center line of the toilet to any obstuction to either side. 36'' is much more comfortable.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I just had a bathroom remodeled. My contractor said the code in our state is 38" (wall space) for a toilet. I only had 36", but he went ahead and put the toilet there. It's comfy, but I wouldn't want it much smaller.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Good comments from LWO, Hollysprings, and Littlebug 5. In addition, I have concerns about the vanity next to the glass wall for the shower. I would want a pony wall with the vanity installed wall to wall. I wouldn't want to clean that area of dust.

What is your need for a curb-less shower? Why do you want one?

The way the door is now, it won't even open 90 degrees, and will bump into the toilet. I had a bathroom where the door opened a bit more than 90 degrees, but bumped into the toilet. when I remodeled the toilet got moved down the wall.

The door will interfere with the vanity too. If someone is standing there, they will have to move to allow another in the room. It appears that 2 are using this room due to the double sink.

What are the measurements of the room?

I think the room looks too small for a shower and a separate tub. What is your reasoning for not having the shower and the tub as one unit?

I've linked a site that has a lot of information on bathroom dimensions. I found it very helpful when I redesigned my 2 bathrooms, along with the wealth of information on GW, and my crafts people who did my work.

Here is a link that might be useful: illustrated Rules of Good Bathroom Design

• susanjn
    9 years ago

Lumine,

What software did you use to draw this? I'm looking for something with this capability.

TIA

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the replies and the link - these are very valuable inputs.

The software is Sweet Home 3D.

The bathroom is 8.5' x 7.5' with 8' ceilings.

The image is slightly distorted so I should point out that the toilet will have approximately 34" of space. Since one side will be the bathtub, I doubt that it will feel cramped.

The door will open slightly more than 90 degrees as well. I find that sufficient in other places in my house so I don't think that it will be an issue - is more than 90 degrees really preferable?

The curbless shower is a preference. I also never liked the shower/tub combination. I am considering a linear drain not at the wall in the shower but running from the outer edge of the glass to the wall to kind of enclose the shower square. The floor will be dropped 2 inches to do this. There will be a smaller slope from the bathtub to the drain as well.

Regarding a pony wall, since the wall itself takes up space, I prefer to just set the glass back from the vanity, leaving enough space between the vanity to clean the glass. this will result in more space savings and better aesthetics in my opinion.

The door location is certainly a compromise but it was something I just couldn't get around. Also, practically speaking, when someone is in the bathroom you usually don't come in without knocking anyways so I am hoping that the door interfering with the vanity is not a problem. I also don't quite understand why the door should be able to open when someone is on the toilet. In my opinion, it's kind of nice that the toilet actually gets hidden by the door.

Thanks again and I appreciate all inputs.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I don't think there is enough space for two people to be standing and doing stuff at that vanity. Too crowded. Do a brown paper mock up, and get a friend to stand next to you and simulate brushing teeth, etc. to see just how little room you have allowed. We have just returned from a trip and ran across a similar shower set up in Rome. The glass was nowhere near enough to deflect the water bouncing off a body and the floor got very wet and dangerous. Our set up had a rain shower head on the ceiling as well as the handheld and the spray got out of the area even while just standing under the rain shower. It was COLD w/o a fully contained shower space. Have you tried taking a shower in an existing room with the shower door open? It really gets cold.

If you put the linear drain where I think you said, you will be standing on it. The whole floor in a "wet room" like you wish as to slope down to the drain has to slope to the drain and you don't have enough space to do that w/o feeling like you are standing in a crack in the floor.

That window is going to get sprayed with water.

You have a lot of good ideas, but I fear that you do not have the space to do what you wish.

-Babka

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Agree that the vanity won't work. You can't stand in front of the left sink comfortably. You're right up against the door jamb or you have to take a step to the right, which puts you very close to the person at the other sink. Just doesn't make sense to have two sinks and lose drawer and counter storage. We're converting our double to a single.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those were very valuable inputs. Thank you.

The vanity is 5 foot. Would you consider that too tight for two people? I'm okay with a single basin but two is preferable.

I've tried open showers before and while they are drafty, I do like them. The spray is a good point that perhaps I didn't fully consider. Will a typical window not hold up to getting wet?

This post was edited by Lumine on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 23:20

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have a 60" vanity, and we have a wall behind us so we aren't trapped in by a toilet and tub like you will be. One of you will need to stand off to the side instead of directly in front of the sink, which defeats the purpose.The bathroom is so crowded, would two even want to be in there at the same time?

Unless the vanity is custom, the sink bases are 24". That makes the drawers 12", but the interior width is more like 9". The small counter between the sinks will need to hold everything. You probably do more shaving than her while she does more hair and make-up than you. (I assume you're a man.) It's nicer to have your own space rather than commingling them in one center drawer stack and counter.

I would make the sink base a drawer cabinet where you pull out the drawers to access plumbing. The top drawers have a cut-out for plumbing. I don't see any towel storage in your current layout, so sink base drawers would provide a 24" wide, deep drawer for them. We have a linen closet in the hall bath, but we'd still like to keep extra towels in the master bath, in a drawer, where they're not exposed to odors and moisture. Your side cabinets could be two shallow top drawers with one door cabinet below for cleaning supplies and TP. Think of that, two 18" wide drawer stacks and counters!

I don't think you'll find an off-the-shelf 60" vanity that meet the needs of two people in a small bathroom. The drawers are tiny, so don't buy sight unseen.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Skylights in a bathroom only provide light during the hours when the bathroom is least likely to be used. Up at dawn and brushing your teeth at night, you're not likely to see any benefit from the black hole in the ceiling.

A window in a shower has special needs. Such as being vinyl, and being 100% waterproofed.

Agree with all other points about this bath. As designed, it's not really workable, or at all pleasant to use. It would work much better with a large low curb shower, no tub, no skylight, and a single sink. It would cost a lot less than the 45K bath shown as well.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I agree the bathroom looks very crowded. But I do want to say that IMO a 60 inch vanity with 2 sinks can work. At least it does for my DH and I. We have no problem using both sinks at the same time. I do not have a wall on either side of my vanity so I do get an extra inch of countertop on each end but even without that I feel like there would stil be enough room. My sinks are 12x15x7. They are more than adequate in size. I have 15 inches between the 2 sinks and 8.5 inches on each side. Our tub is directly across from the vanity. I do have the luxury of a linen closet in the bathroom. Just wanted to post to let people know that a 60 inch double sink vanity can work.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much for the help. I am glad that I came here and I think it may help me avoid making some regrettable decisions.

I am going to go with a single basin vanity (although I appreciate badgergal's input) - in my case I agree that the single-basin will work better and am glad to have realized this.

I am also now questioning the wisdom of putting in a skylight.

The shower setup is still a dilemma for me and I am considering whether it's worth risking the problems you mention to try this layout.

I am attaching a diagram with dimensions of the bathroom as well as a less distorted 3D image.

I am grateful for all of your input and shared thoughts.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Badgergirl, your double vanity is an unusual configuration. It looks like the sinks share a sink base, so how does the plumbing work? In a standard double vanity, there is no side counter. You can't stand in front of the sink near the wall.

My plumbing showroom salesperson recommends a minimum of 17" width for the sink because of countertop overhang in undermounting the sink. I followed her advice and would not go smaller.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much for the help. I am glad that I came here and I think it may help me avoid making some regrettable decisions.

I am going to go with a single basin vanity (although I appreciate badgergal's input) - in my case I agree that the single-basin will work better and am glad to have realized this.

I am also now questioning the wisdom of putting in a skylight.

The shower setup is still a dilemma for me and I am considering whether it's worth risking the problems you mention to try this layout.

I am attaching a diagram with dimensions of the bathroom as well as a less distorted 3D image.

I am grateful for all of your input and shared thoughts.

{{!gwi}}

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Lumine, we are remodeling our home's only full bathroom. Currently, it has a 6'long vanity with two sinks, one on each end. We rarely get ready at the same time now. In our remodel, we are trying to get more floorspace because I sometimes use a walker and may someday need a wheelchair. As a solution, we will go with a much smaller vanity that is 42" wide. To maintain the extra utility of having two sinks, we are going to have one very large sink with two faucets serving that one sink. So if I need to access water while my husband is using a faucet for shaving, I will not have to bother him. I can get water from the second faucet at the temperature and rate of flow that suits me. Perhaps this idea will help you in your bathroom remodel, as well. If you make the vanity smaller, your partner can actually stand at the corner to use the faucet, beside as well as in front of the vanity. That means less bumping into each other!

My concern with your door is that in the original post the toilet goes out beyond the hinges of the door. Your door will not open more than 40 or 50 degrees, it seems. Have you considered having it open outward into the hall? Is there room on the wall to make it a sliding door - either a barn-door style that will hang on the wall, or a pocket door that goes in the wall?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!