Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6" wall tile: Stacked or Running bond ??

Posted by napagirl (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 15:50

Having never done a lot of wall tiling, DH is thinking a running bond pattern might be easier and more forgiving than a stacked pattern. We're using 6" almond tile from Daltile for the tub surround and wainscote.

We don't have strong feelings either way, we just want to do whats easiest at this point (its a 50's rental), so we can get back to our own remodel.

Is one more difficult than the other?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6" wall tile: Stacked or Running bond ??

I like the running bond and DO find it a bit more "rorgiving."

Center the back wall and then use any corner cuts to "wrap" the side walls....at least that's how I do it.

o

StoneTech: Thanks for confirming what DH suspected....that the running bond is easier to line up than stacked tile. DH already had the first course centered on the back wall of the tub surround when I arrived yesterday.

Your suggestion to "use any corner cuts to 'wrap' the side walls" is, no doubt the preferred way to lay it out. But I calculated that 17 full tile, with grout, will finish off the side wall and wainscote to the end of the wall, without needing any cut tile at the end.... that's if my calculations are correct! :-)

o

That's one row. The next row will have half tiles, then.

o

Catbuilder: That's right....the first course on the side wall will start and end with a full tile....the second course will start and end with half a tile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here