Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower stall subatrate

Posted by ChuckSixty (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 15:28

I'm going to have a shower installed using Cultured Marble for the walls. The manufacturer tells me that the substrate mater does not matter, ie: standard sheetrock will do since the cultured marble product is waterproof. What type of substrate would be best for this installation? Should I be using a Hardyboard type of cement board, greenboard, standard drywall, or is there a more appropriate backer to use for a solid wall shower solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower stall subatrate

I'd recommend cement board; Durock or Wonderboard. You could use Hardi as well.

Cement board is only a few dollars more in materials for the entire surround, but it gives you added protection from any accidental water intrusion.

And it sort of "future proofs" you in case you change your mind and remodel down the road.

If you choose to use a gypsum product, then go with a moisture resistant board instead of "standard" drywall. Again...just in case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here