Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Vanity--real legs or fake front legs with toekick behind

julieste
9 years ago

Is there any practical reason to do one design style over another? I'm guessing, but may be wrong, that the typically seen fake front legs with the toe kick liner behind is when stock cabinets are adapted for use as a semi-custom vanity.

I finally decided that custom is my best option to maximize my space, so I can do whatever I want. We're trying for a period look and feel in our 100-year-old house. This is a 46" vanity in a fairly simple style and will be painted white, and one side will be butted up against a wall.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I like to store my weight scale under the vanity so like an open bottom. ItâÂÂs also a good place to hide nice smelling room deodorizers.

• Suziqzer1
    9 years ago

I think both are valid points. My opinion is that real legs are a more custom option/look than are fake, but will require more cleaning.. Especially if anyone using that vanity has a lot of hair and does their hair over that sink/vanity.

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If need be, a regular piece of furniture on legs I can move to clean under. I'd been thinking it would be no big deal to clean under a permanent vanity on legs but just started to think that a vanity on legs is permanently installed and I wouldn't ever be able to move it for cleaning. I guess I'll have to think this through. thanks for the help.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I responded on your kitchen forum post but thought I would copy my response here for those that are only looking on this forum

Just finished cleaning under my furniture look vanity about 10 minutes ago. I don't find it difficult at all. For routine cleaning I just run a swiffer sweeper with their dry dusting cloth on it under the cabinet. It easily fits under the cabinet opening. Just use one of their wet cloths when you want it mopped. My vacuum cleaner wand also fits under the opening with no problem so sometimes when I am vacuuming my MB I just vacuum the bathroom too. I am one of those who also uses the vacuum to get hair or dust out of my whirlpool tub when needed- works great for that.
    When I originally had my vanity installed the installer thought cleaning under it might be an issue and suggested putting in a recessed to kick. We tried it but did not like the way it looked so he uninstalled it

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I have the (fake?) legs on my bathroom vanity and the toekick is a bit more recessed than normal. If I didn't have a toekick, I couldn't have a pedal type Tapmaster (don't care for the knee in the door model). My room deodorizer comes from my Scentsy warmer that sits on top of the vanity. And a Mint/iRobot Braava robotic floor sweeper takes care of the hair :) but like badgergal said, a Swiffer sweeper gets under the vanity and grabs hair in mere seconds. I was going to do legs on my husbands vanity but since the room is so small I was afraid they might get banged up more than without legs.

• julieste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts and input. Now I am in the throes of making a decision on what to do.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Just had a custom vanity installed in my MB. I like furniture with legs, so I had the vanity raised up and I have 8" legs. Tile runs all the way under. My central vac floor wand/brush will fit under and reach all the way back to the wall, so it shouldn't be a problem to keep clean. I could also use a swiffer wet if I felt it needed more than a pass with the vac.

I really like the look of a raised vanity and when I remodel the other bathrooms I plan on putting them in there too.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Also have a vanity with 6" legs and tile that goes under. Very easy to vacuum and would be easy to mop, but haven't felt the need.

• PaulH2014
    9 years ago

We went with real legs on our recent master bath renovation. It is a very small bathroom. Moving from the old shorter height vanity to the more standard 34" models today, we felt that without legs, the vanity would look very boxy. The legs add a bit of space to soften the size.

Also we wanted a place to put the scale. Again, it is a TINY bathroom and for 26 years we have had the scale in the adjoining closet, but now it slides under the vanity!!

Good selection of vanities at Signature Hardware online.

• bob_busch20
    3 years ago

In my experience, people change floor coverings more than they change cabinets. If your vanity is on legs with a floor covering under it, the vanity will have to be removed to change the floor covering. Not so if there is a toe kick where the floor covering just meets up with the toe kick. If you remove the vanity to replace the floor covering, the hot and cold water supply lines will have to be disconnected as well. Hopefully, you have water shutoffs under the sink. The sink drain will also have to be disconnected. Cabinets can be updated with paint or new doors or new wood veneer, etc. They tend to be around a lot longer than the floor covering.

• The Unreal Steve
    3 years ago

Bob, there's another alternative if legs are installed first. Later if someone wants to re-tile, they can add a toe kick and hide the legs and the old tile.

• bob_busch20
    3 years ago

Steve, for the vanities that I have seen, the legs are located to the outside edges of the cabinet box. A toe kick added after the fact would not hide them. It would be behind the legs. I have seem some vanities were a toe kick board is included. It is put behind the legs. So, in this situation, you get legs and a toe kick, one behind the other. At least, that is the way they are displayed in stores. The legs could always be removed and a toe kick added. A retiling job involves removing the old tile outside of the vanity. That means breaking the tile with a hammer and chisel, using an angle grinder, etc. That is difficult to do when you have to remove the 3" of old tile that will be exposed when a toe kick is added. Perhaps I did nut understand your comment about adding a toe kick to hide the legs.