Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wet room anyone?

Posted by corgimum (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 15:04

My friend's dad is in a wheelchair. They are looking at replacing his master bath with a wet room (shower, sink and toilet). This way he could use a wheelchair for showering and toileting. I see a lot of information from the UK about kits but wondered if anyone here has built a tiled one from scratch and can offer advise on do's and don'ts regarding drains, waterproofing and floor plan. This room on the first floor with an unfinished basement underneath.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wet room anyone?

I've done a few over the years, they've been done with Schuter's materials (Kerdi and Ditra).

If I was to do another, it'd be with Hydroban and the Laticrete drain.

Floors are pitched with mud and Laticrete flanged drain is set. Everything then gets hit with a couple of coats of Hydroban. Then tile over the HB.

If you wanted it to be a steam room, then you'd have to go back to Kerdi and Ditra.

But for a waterproofed wet room, HB would be my choice.

As far as layout, think about wall hung fixtures; sink and toilet. That'll keep your floor space clear and cleaner.

Have a long handheld hose for spraying down the space as needed.

o

We are looking to do the same in a very small downstairs bath.

Consider wall mount toilet and setting it to a higher height. Make sure you place the handheld on the proper side so that who ever turns it on does not have to reach across the stream to do so (and thus get wet).

Mongoct, why go to HB not Kerdi in a wet room. just curious. In our mind, we were already planning to use a roll of Kerdi on the floor and walls.

o

Another Mongo question on wet rooms: What you describe is what we are planning, just ordered the drain today. My question is do you do the hydroban up the walls for some distance outside the shower itself or just the floor?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here