Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

Laticrete grout color - which one is 'white'??

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi all,

Tile is just about in and it's time for grout. I borrowed the Laticrete grout color selector tool (thing with all the plastic sticks with all the possible grout colors) from Lowes. But I am confused on which white is just plain white.

So, the one that is called "Bright White" (#44) looks very dirty to me. But maybe it's just the sample is way off??

The color that looks like a brighter white is called, "Sauterne" (#18).

Can anyone help me here? It's amazing how complicated little things like this can get!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (4)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I posted this very query earlier this year--same colors in question! :-)

We thought the Sauterne sample looked whiter as well (the cust svce person I'd called @ Laticrete agreed with me), but someone on either this forum, or in kitchens (might have been Bill V.) posted that Sauterne is actually not white, more of an off-white.

We ended up using TEC XT grout (supposed to be more stain and crack resistant and mold and mildew resistant--has anti-bacteriacide in it), in Bright White #910. The unsanded grout is very white. The sanded grout looks a little less stark white because of the added sand. It's really only noticeable when used in areas right next to the unsanded grout (we used both unsanded and sanded on the MB tub walls because of the difference in the field tile grout joints vs. border tile mosaic joints/voids).

The whitest white sample stick we saw, was for Mapei's Avalanche, but we liked TEC colors better for the rest of the tile that we used in the MB and Hall Bath, and wanted to be consistant with brand/type of grout (also, TEC was easier and quicker to get).

HTH! Good luck!

• johnfrwhipple
    13 years ago

That is a hole in the Laticrete Colour wheel.

Grouting your job is in my opinion the most stressful step.

Some much has gone into the design and the prep. Not to mention all the tile work. This step needs to be perfect and it is so vary hard to do right if you hurry the process.

I believe by my last count their is over 25 things that can and almost allways do go wrong some where here in North America every day.

If you are going to do the grouting yourself, you need to learn a lot first.

Read first the stories of "Blotched Jobs" - this will gain you insight onto the pit falls to avoid.

Measure, dry mix, practice and don't use much water at all when removing and finishing the grouting.

There is a ton to read. Maybe Bill or Mongo remember where the list of grout failures is online...

Practice. Make a test board and test your colour.

When it comes to colour I imagine that Bright White is the number one colour pick. I would reason as well that the biggest pain in any company like Laticrete is Grout related issues.

I find it no surprise that so few companies make a Bright White! These premium grouts have Bio Blocks and Additives to make the job easier and make the grout more stain resistant. The down side I believe is that these steps (these lotions and potions) add a hint of colour and those change the base colour some what.

I am deciding myself between a great Epoxy Grout that is not a true "White" or a "Bright White" that I'm sure in 3 years will look like Laticrete's White now.

The downside to a "Bright White" staining is that it will look un-uniform in a few years time. Thanks to the affects of minerals in your water.

The best colour in my opinion for a shower or any wet zone is a Light Gray. This is the most forgiving colour I'm aware off. I might be wrong - most likely ;)

I'm leaning to hedging my bets and going with the premium product.

If bright white is a must - consider a topical sealer after the fact. This is a labour intensive job but one that can be repeated as needed. If this is the plan then insure the grout you use can accept it.

Don't rush into this step either - there is much to learn about sealing grout with a coloured sealer and much you can do to make the finished job look less than perfect.

Keep reading.

Check your source...

Good Luck

JW

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I used Laticrete Spectralock Bright White with Daltile Navelli Carrera Star tile. The white grout actually appears slightly more white than the tile. In my opinion, it is less about how "white" the stick looks on its own, but more about how it looks with your tile. Possibly if none of the whites look right to you, you might even try a light gray color. I am not an tile expert, but I imagine there are other high quality brands of grout that might have some different color options.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cat_mom, John and prickypearcactus - thank you for your input.

pricklypearcactus - I have the Daltile Navelli Carrera Star in our bathrooms too... If the "Bright White" appears slightly more white than the tile, I'd say that's pretty white!

John: I am not doing the grouting myself, but definitely want to make sure that it's done right. If we end up going with Laticrete Spectralock in Bright White - is there a particular grout sealer that you would recommend?

Thanks again everyone!!