Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purchased hex marble tiles for bathroom floor and spacing uneven

Posted by Heidi-DIYer (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 14:32

Hi everyone!

In a couple days I will be tiling our newly renovated bathroom. I special ordered 2" hex marble tiles for the floor and they are not adhered to the mesh backing straight - some tiles even touch each other.

Is this a common problem with mosaic like tiles? What to do - tear the really bad ones off and reattach to the mesh or rip them all off the mesh and use spacers? Not worth it, return the tile?

Advice highly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purchased hex marble tiles for bathroom floor and spacing une

"Back in the day", the mesh wasn't that great. Then it got better. But I still find the occasional out of whack sheet, or box of sheets.

So "is it a common problem?" In some ways it's not as common as it used to be, but some import tiles seem to have horrific quality control.

If only a few are errant, I'll pull them and reset. If there are too many...then I return the entire order.

I had one situation where I had to pull every tile off the mesh backing and set them individually. Fortunately it wasn't a huge area to tile, it was a fireplace surround. 3/4" by 3" natural stone tiles.

o
RE: Purchased hex marble tiles for bathroom floor and spacing une

If it's that bad, return the order and either reorder, or ask for your money back. I've also riun into this twice in the last 3 months-- once with glazed 1" hex, and once with 2" marble hex. THe marble was especially bad. I laid out about 12 sheets dry on the floor for the owner to see, and to me, it looked disgusting. She said it gave it the "hand laid" look-- install it!

What do I know??? :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here