Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Hydroban OK as a shower pan liner instead of plastic?

Posted by chgojudyinaz (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 14:31

Bill Vincent and other pros out there: The tile guy says he doesn't like the way the folds of the shower pan liner bumps the wall out near the bottom, and that he has used a liquid membrane like Hydroban in the shower pan instead of the typical plastic shower pan liner. Is this OK?
Thanks so much for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Hydroban OK as a shower pan liner instead of plastic?

He can eliminate the folds in the shower pan membrane bumping out the wall if he learns to notch his studs.

But yes, Hydroban is fine as a shower pan membrane. You tile right on top of the Hydroban.

o

Are there any tricks to using the Hydroban this way? Here in Arizona a lot of guys still mostly do mud showers (which I can't have because of my tile layout and the additional thickness of a mud shower), especially for residential, particularly custom homes. Thanks!

o

Easiest way is to use Hydroban with a Laticrete flanged drain or with a Kerdi Drain.

Cement board on the walls. A sloped mud deck with the Laticrete or Kerdi drain set in the sloped mud. If you are sloppy with the cement board installation you might need reinforcing fabric to span the gaps and reinforce and corners. Then Hydroban everything.

Hydroban with Laticrete Drain

o

Should be his dime not yours!!!

o

It's the only pan liner I'll use any more, and your guy's reason is also one of mine.

Millworkman-- what should be his dime-- the Hydroban? If so, that works for him, because the membrane itself is cheaper than Chloroloy. With the drain, it's about the same cost. Of course, Chloroloy only comes up about 6" higher than the curb, while the Hydroban will waterproof the entire shower, and if done proplerly will qualify for a 25 year manufacturer's warranty.

but that's ok-- it's HIS dime. *shakin my head*

o

Thanks for your advice. I am relieved that this is a good way to do the shower pan. I watched the video on the Laticrete drain. The plumber is planning to install an Ebbe drain. Will that work the same way?

o

It's a little more difficult, but it can be done.

o

What does the plumber need to know to make it work? Thanks, Bill.

o

Sorry wrong post.

o

He needs to leave a rough stub sticking out of the shower floor and you'll supply him with the drain, whose base will sit right on the subfloor, so that the outside edge of the "halo" is about 1 1/4" off the subfloor. That's about all he needs to know.

o

Bill, are you talking about the Ebbe drain?

o

Sorry-- forgot about that. :-) Have him install it as he would in any other shower. No difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here