Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you happy with your master bathroom tile decisions?

Posted by soonermom (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 14:18

We are gutting our 1980's master bathroom and will be using gray woodwork for the vanity area. The bathroom is 12' X 16'. If you were able to change your tile and/or grout are there any shoulda, coulda, or woulda suggestions or do you love your choices? I would love to see pictures too if you are willing to share them.

Currently we have faux white marble with beige veining and white grout. I must say the white grout comes in as the second biggest mistake of my life. (Okay, #1 was marrying my 1st husband :)! Hubby #2 is fantastic and we've been married 29 years!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you happy with your master bathroom tile decisions?

Hi soonermom! We start our 1988 master bath remodel next week. We built the house and chose (at the time) a lovely dark blue tile on the counter top and the surround on the the monster sized whirlpool. Our bath is big but yours is huge! I can't wait to get rid of the blue tile (grout bad - never again) We too have white grout. As to woulda, shoulda, coulda, - I'm sticking with a more neutral pallet this time and the pics on this site have inspired me!! Not much help with your decisions as we are just starting -but lots of encouragement and sympathy. Will follow your reno!

o

I'm not sure how many of these posts refer to tile/grout decisions, but you might find lots of good info and ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best bathroom decisions thread

o

We did botticino marble with mushroom grout. It is all really really neutral and calming. I posted some pics in June. The tile looks sort of pinkish in the pics but it is actually beige--not a hint of pink in it. We are very happy with it.

o

We did 2 full bathroom guts this year. Best decision was using high quality porcelain tiles for floor and shower areas. They look great, are almost impossible to damage and require no upkeep. In one of the baths we used white grout on the shower walls. I may end up being sorry about that, but the bathroom is not a heavily used one, so hopefully it will wear OK.

Another decision that made me happy was going with some color instead of doing totally neutral baths. One of our baths has sea green 12x12's on the floor, and to me it looks a little retro and a little new at the same time. In the other I did an accent wall of crackle green ceramics. I'm not one who subscribes to the "add a pop of color with your paint and towels" philosophy, and I went with what I was drawn to.

o

I used 24x24 white tiles in the room with 0 grout line and love it. "less grout" no nooks and crannies to clean! Neutral timeless design love it. I will post photo's one day!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here