Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
may_flowers

Can I modify the cabinets on my inspiration photo?

Gracie
9 years ago

We decided to switch our 60" two-sink vanity to one sink to gain drawer and counter space. I'd been drawing up vanity ideas that minimize the wasted sink base when I realized a pedestal sink might be the answer. I found an inspiration photo on Houzz, and DH loves it. It's his bathroom--I use the guest bath which is just outside the MB. It has a conventional vanity and a linen closet.

While I love the open cabinets, we need drawers, and we need deeper cabinets to accommodate drawers. With a 24" pedestal sink, I can fit two 15" wide cabinets on each side of the sink, giving us (and future buyers) his and hers cabinets and countertop. The cabinets would be 15" wide X 34" tall. Depth would be determined by available drawer glides, but I'd like the front of the sink to sit proud of the cabinets. Or should it by even with the cabinets? The sink is 18 1/4" deep x 34" tall. We'd tile behind the sink as shown, and extend the wall tile behind the cabinets as a backsplash.

Will this look as good as my inspiration photo or is all the charm in those open cabinets and exposed tile? You won't see as much of the tile because of the deeper cabinets, and they will also be closer to the sink (planning on 2-3" of space between sink edge and cabinet). We'd top the cabinets with stone and use beaded inset cabinets, so the focus would be more on the cabinets and sink. No idea on the tile but will use the same tile on the shower surround since it's a small room.

Contemporary Bathroom by South Burlington Design-Build Firms Peregrine Design Build

Comments (13)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

I would want the sink to be proud of the storage if possible. It will feel roomier.
    Are you sure you need drawers?
    We have baskets on shelves. (Well, they're not organized yet)

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it will look and feel like a vanity if the cabinets are the same depth as the sink, but I'm not sure about how it looks. It might ruin the whole effect. If a cabinet maker makes the cabinets, I should be able to see a computer rendering in 3D. I'm also thinking of using Conestoga RTA.

On the practical side, we need drawers, but we really don't need 18" deep drawers. DH wants the soft close glides, and they come in certain lengths. I'll need to get that info. We would do two drawers and a door in each cabinet. We need a cabinet for TP and cleaning supplies. That's the only tall stuff. We'll need to put an extra set of towels in one cabinet.

Appreciate your opinion!

• mdln
    9 years ago

Love how that looks! Wish you posted pic before I finished my BR - I would have borrowed/stolen the idea. It would have been perfect for my tiny BR. Oh well, guess it's good to know what I'm going to do when the vanity I bought dies. :-)

Would keep cabinets less deep than sink, and have open shelves w/ baskets (just like they have it). I'd put TP & cleaning stuff in a basket/bin.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Or these more soft sided type basket.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mdln, you could sell your vanity on CL. ; ) I'm finding most vanities useless, with the little drawers and limited counter space. I was going to do an all drawer vanity where the drawer is notched for plumbing. But that's too much drawer for this size vanity. I'm also hoping it will be easier to find stone remnants with these small cabs. Maybe quartzite.

I found out the Blum glides come in 12" and 15" lengths. Now you two have me thinking of just using top drawers and keeping the bottom open. Those baskets are cute and could hold TP. Cleaning supplies could go in the guest bath. He only uses them a couple of times a year anyway.

• mdln
    9 years ago

With that size you should be able to find some nice remnants.

Hmmm, I could legitimately say it's never been used....

However, the worst part, if I switched to a pedestal I'd have to admit my builder was right. He wanted me to put in a pedestal, I insisted I needed a place to store TP in this guest BR.

I will be on lookout for just the right side cabinets, and when I find them it should be easy to do. Will just need to fix where the baseboard trim was cut out. Need to make sure I hold on to enough of the leftover shower tile.

:-)

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does that mean you're going to go for it? I found these Pottery Barn cabinets which are 36" H x 15" W. They might work for you.

I priced out Barkers RTA in unstained walnut and cherry with two drawers and a cabinet for $650, and painted would be about the same. I thought a custom shop might be able to make them for that price. Seems high.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB sundry tower

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is also a sundry cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or you could do one cabinet. I started out with a 26" W cabinet with a split top drawer and a long middle and bottom drawer. The cabinet would have to go against the side wall and then the sink and toilet. He didn't like the sink and toilet together.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Those are so cute, especially the first one. I like the 2 cabinets flanking the sink look.

I can't do anything right now. Need to get back into the house first. Had a fire 18 months ago (my 3 cats died), house needed to be gutted to studs. Need to stay focused on completion and getting occupancy permit. Then have to replace all contents; am sure I will be posting many decorating/design questions.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I remember reading about your tragedy. I have two cats myself and know your heart is broken. I wish you were undertaking this remodel under happier circumstances.

I thought you were in the house because I know your kitchen is just about done.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, they are helpful. The cabinets will be about the width of the drawer stack in the second photo. Interesting how they tiled the counter in the first photo--we talked about that since it's only a 15" W counter. It looks nice and makes sense to let the tile guy do it all.

Because of the size of the bathroom and the modest contemporary home we live in, our sink won't be as much of a statement as shown in most of the Houzz photos. We have been looking at the Kohler Cimarron. It's 19" deep and we hope to bring the cabinets up to the curve. I don't know the depth to the curve, but if it's ~ 16" we can order Conestoga RTA cabs, which come 16" deep with the 15" Blum soft-close glides.