Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chazzard_gw

Negatives of wall-mounted sink?

CHazzard
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker of all the garden web forums and while I personally wish this, my first post, was with questions about a kitchen remodel: needs must and it's about a bathroom remodel.

Can anyone available comment on what the negatives might be of a wall-mounted sink like this one: http://tinyurl.com/c2sr2ge

It's a replacement for a 48" vanity. Both my husband and I prefer that we avoid vanities in the bathroom. We are running a long floating shelf under a new mirror to put toothbrushes and toothpaste on and all other necessities (cleaning products and such) will be stored in a closet directly outside the bathroom.

We thought this type of sink would be easier to clean and easier for our small children since stools can be pulled up right along side it and they will easily be able to reach the faucet. We can put the garbage can underneath.

Are there negatives we aren't thinking of? Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!

Comments (5)

• lazypup
    11 years ago

As a plumber I cannot foresee any negatives to your plan, in fact, when your children attend school they will more than likely be confronted with wall mount sinks so there is no problem with wall mounts & children....

But having said that, I would caution you that you should either purchase your sink or at least contact the Mfg or your dealer and get a copy of the mounting instructions before you begin your bathroom remodel.

Wall mount sinks have a flat horizontal steel hanger bracket that is bolted to the finished wall, then the ceramic sink fixture is hung on the bracket. During the remodel, while you have the walls opened up you will need to install some 2x6 or 2x8 horizontal blocking between the studs to allow a solid backing to bolt the hanger bracket to the wall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You can accomplish the same thing with a pedestal sink....ours has a larger flange area around the sink so there's a place to put soap dispenser and such.

• lazypup
    11 years ago

And if you install a pedastal you still need the blocking in the wall, the same as a wall mount.

• CHazzard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! We are having a professional contractor to the remodel so I will get the instructions and make sure he has them before he puts in the new walls.

Do you recommend any particular brand of sink? I don't think it's worth spending too much on the sink itself and had planned to pour savings into getting very good fixtures (contractor recommended Moen for durability and reliability). But perhaps with a wall-mounted sink I should also be looking for a good, reliable brand?

WE had thought about doing pedestal, but I like the look of wall-mounted or half-pedestal and see it as something easier to clean.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

CHazzard-I have wall mount sinks with Moen fixtures for years now-a four inch spread with one central fixture (some sinks have 8 inch holes so check when you buy your sink hardware).

Simple, continuous lines to the fixtures are a lot easier to keep clean with kids than ones with knobs, curves etc. Check your water hardness too, as calcium/iron etc can build up on the spout. I'll be installing a water softener soon.

Lazypups or others: a handyman accidentally jiggled one BR wall sink away from the wall causing a half inch or more gap when the old stabilizing metal bar behind the sink moved. I want to fix it. Do I just put counter weight against the sink and have DH gingerly tighten bolts from below? Thanks.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor