Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngalinnyc

Floor to ceiling tile & octagon window???

southerngalinnyc
12 years ago

It's been a year... and I haven't rid myself of this pink & green monster that has been haunting me... Its been so long I seem to have lost my original post... So apologies to those of you who have seen this mess before... but I am asking a different question now.

This bathroom is... shall we say 'efficient'... (6.7' x 6.8)

So... I need your assistance in figuring out what floor to ceiling tile to use to tile around this octagon shaped window. (the window is 24" wide and each side is ~ 8": including the frame its 29" wide)

From lovely pink and green 2nd floor bath in all its glory

One of the many issues is that the tub/shower tile area cuts into the frame of the window. (and that's a 30" wide tub)

So I feel like the only way to solve for that is to tile the entire wall floor to ceiling. Because of both the shape and pattern of the window, I am very unsure about what kind and size of tile to use to avoid things getting too busy and conflicting sight lines.

I don't plan on tiling the wall on the left with the sink and toilet.

The house is a 1930s colonial. I want to go with white, or marble (but I think that could be worse from a business perspective)

I will put a wooden frame around the window.

Any thoughts on size or style and/or what you think is a definite "no-no" greatly appreciated.

(or if you have any ideas on how to avoid having to tile the whole wall, please bring them on.)

Here's the layout for the bath... desperate for a good looking 19" deep vanity too...

Thanks in advance ya'll!

Comments (10)

• suero
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you looked into replacing/moving the window? I don't know what's on the outside of your home, but if it is at all possible to blend new siding with the existing siding, moving the window to the left, outside of the tub area, would seem to me to solve many of your design problems.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Suero,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, (or fortunately), we live in a neighborhood with historical restrictions. So we have to get approval from an architectural committee to get a new doorknocker...
    The window has to stay put as its centered over the front door...

• jillalamedat
    12 years ago

I think your idea of tiling the whole wall is a great solution. The window is lovely - just in an awkward position. White tile would highlight the window, and a light grey grout would pick up the lead. Keeping the tile simple sounds like a good idea to keep things from being too busy in the small space. I think a small format tile would look best. Maybe a 1 x 1 or 2 x 2? If you wanted to break up the tile a little you could add a liner below the level of the window. This bathroom could look amazing with the window and a cool floor (you could do marble there, or maybe pick up the octagonal shape).

I had a pink-green-peach-and-lavender bathroom that was about the same size as yours, so I feel your pain. Unfortunately I didn't have a great window to highlight.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jillameda,
    Would love to see your bath if you have photos. I'll go look at the smaller format tiles. I had actually been thinking about 12 x 24" tiles perhaps with fewer grout lines..
    I ran across the following photo and wonder if using this carrera subway tile and a polished carrera hex on the floor would be too much. This is a hall bath, so while its used only for guests, I guess a future buyer would have children using this, so maybe too formal for that?

I also tried reconfiguring the layout again... and landed here. This will require eliminating the closet, moving the door and the plumbing and will likely get expensive, but I wonder if it will help open the bath up and also make it more appealing to future buyers.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I would ask again about the "Historical Restrictions" as I doubt very much that there is anything "Historical" about that octagon window.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

I see you have changed the layout of your bathroom. Have you seen this blog? They also have an octagon window in their bath/shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen and Dave's Reno

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Millworkman,
    But we have the original house plans and the window is original to the house... (I think that the glass design in the window may not be) and since I have been trying for almost a year to get approval simply to replace the original bay windows where the width and depth of the muntin chamfer cannot even be 1/8th of an inch off, I am fairly certain that having a window that is not symmetrical on the front of the house will be out of the question....

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Tile all around it with a simple tile that goes with the style of the house would be my advice. 1930s would probably be square tile. I would actually tile around the window with bullnose trim and leave off the wood trim altogether, but that is up to you :)

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Dekoboe,
    Thanks so much for the link. I had not seen that and it is very helpful. As for that layout...I am wavering once again. I just can't decide if I think its worth the $$$$ to move all that plumbing around. (although I absolutely hate walking up the stairs and looking straight in at the throne) sigh...

And thank you Palimpsest,
    Will definitely take a look at that bullnose all the way around!

You all are the best.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, last, I hope, decision for THIS bathroom, that will require a post...
    I am really spent on decisions.
    So here is the esthetic I am aiming for (except I have a tub to the right of the window)

Here's the layout with room for additional shelf to left of vanity.

So, I need a vanity that is 19" deep or less.

I could go with this duravit which comes in 24" or 31" width width supposedly with a 3 hole faucet option...

or the empire (which is also fairly modern) but provides a shelf and comes in I think only a 24" width with 3 hole option. (although I may be able to also locate 31" 3 hole just haven't yet...)

If I go with a 24" width I could then put in a short (3 shelves) or tall (6 shelves) silver etegere like this to the left or right.

(my thought is that it would be good to have someplace for guests to place things since there's no room on the sink edge.

or any of these which come in 35ish in. width and have either a shelf, drawers, or cabinet space. Same situation with the lack of space around the sink.

Hutton

Seville (I think of the wooden this is my favorite due to drawers, but may be too clunky for the space)

Costco

Which would you pick?