Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clear gasket necessary on frameless glass shower door?

Posted by nanabella (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 13:51

The frameless glass doors are in on my newly tiled shower. Why oh why is there a gasket 3 feet tall on the door itself? I understand it being at the bottom but I think it looks awful. I can't find any pictures in magazines of a clear gasket on a door. The contractor said it was to keep water from going out. Well, if he maybe measured correctly would we need that? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clear gasket necessary on frameless glass shower door?

Pretty much all of the time I have seen a hard L or similar on the panel if there is one. If not it would be on the door. Either way there is always a seal unless you want the water to splash out. So I would tend to believe that "Well, if he maybe measured correctly would we need that?", yes it in needed. And perhaps research should be done before making such a broad statement about him measuring incorrectly.

o

We have a fremeless shower door, and it has clear gaskets. It was laser measured, and fits perfectly, but without a gasket, water would be all over the floor outside the door. It's necessary, in my opinion, and I don't even notice it. It's easy to peel off, however, so take yours off, and see if you can live with the leakage.....

o

My husband measured perfectly and we DON'T have a clear gasket on the side. We do have one the bottom only. I'd say our 'gap' is between 1/8" and 3/16" -- so pretty tight.

In a typical 15 minute shower in my very small stall (so lots of potential for splashing), we leak about a teaspoon of water onto the bathmat -- so not a big problem.

Of course, bigger gap -> bigger problem.

o

Also depends where the shower head is aimed but the company I work for and all the local companies i know of use them. The largest shower door hardware supplier in the country sells them by the truckload as well as every door supplier I know of.

o

Thank you for telling me like it is! I read about the "measurement" thing on another page. Obviously what we see in the magazines is not what we really need on our doors at home.

o

Take it off and see what happens. If there is not water outside, leave it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here