Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sstrazisar

mirror and pendant choices

Stephanie S
9 years ago

I have tile, paint, flooring, sink & baseboards either in place or on order for powder room renovation. The room is a 4' x 7.5' rectangle, with the sink on one 4' wall and the toilet on the other 4' wall. The wall behind the sink will be tiled, the other three painted. My final choices are about my pendants and my mirror.

1. I was originally going with wood framed mirror, but now thinking a frameless mirror would be a better fit. With the pendants & tile, I was thinking simpler might be more suitable. Would love opinions!

2. I've been looking for diffuse lighting to flank the mirror. I really like these Hudson pendants, but they are $$. However they seem just the right size (skinny), style mix (not too modern, not too traditional), and I much prefer a chain over a rod or wire. That's a hard combo to find! I know it's a personal question, but is lighting where you'd "break the budget" in a powder room?

Once all the fixtures are in, I do intend to add a little color via artwork and a ceramic stool to house the basket of bathroom necessities. I think...but more on that later!

Comments (16)

• Mr_Garden
    9 years ago

It is a personal and budget-contrained issue, but how often to you think people will comment on the choice in toilet or sink, vs the lighting?

You'll also want to consider what style of faucets you choose. They can be pricey but do a lot to define your look as well.

• Stephanie S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, Mr Garden, I feel like you are asking me a rhetorical question that I don't know the answer to! I guess I'd never notice a toilet, and would notice a vanity if it was other than a pedestal (which I have, and am reusing). Do I notice lighting? If it was special, yes. Is that my answer? Thanks for the reply, it's making me think!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I love those pendants. Does that help? ;) But only you can determine what your budget is. And your definition of $$ might be different than mine. Guess I'm trying to say that like the above poster, I'd notice the pendants and faucets before I noticed the sink and toilet.

• Stephanie S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ck_squared, that definitely helps! :) Every room has its "statement piece", and I guess I was wondering if pendants could be that statement piece. It sounds like yes, they can be. This is a minor reno...I'm using paint, fairly inexpensive wall tile, mirror and pendants to give the room a facelift. So maybe there's some wiggle room to spend more on the lighting! Sounds like I'm talking myself into it...

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I dug around earlier and found those pendants and you're right about the $$. More like $$$$. :-) But if you LOVE them, then go for it. While I am likely to spend money on something that I absolutely love, that price is above my limit even if I loved them.

If you have to talk yourself into them, maybe you should try to find something similar and less expensive.

Now I've made you think some more. :-D

• Stephanie S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, they are $500 EACH. That seems crazy, but I haven't seen anything else I liked nearly that much! I have a few more days to decide, so I'll keep looking. (I need a really big sale to happen) Thanks again for your input.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I have 3 Hudson Valley sconces going into my MB remodel. I bought from a local lighting store and they beat the best internet price I found by quite a bit. They keep track of competitor prices and do even better. Didn't have to ask for a better price, that is their business model ... better to sell more with less profit each, than to sell nothing at all!

The quality of the HV sconces is very good.

• Stephanie S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Chispa, thanks for the heads-up! I did what you suggested, and my local store was $150 cheaper (for 2) than online! So I bit the bullet, and bought 'em. Still too much money to spend, but I'll just have to go cheaper with other parts of the reno. Thanks so much everyone for the advice.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Glad it all worked out for you! Looking forward to your reveal.

• chispa
    9 years ago

sstrazisar, glad it worked out. It is good to support a local business and at least give them a shot at matching (or beating) the internet prices. My master bath remodel has been in slow motion the last few weeks, but I'm hoping my HV sconces will go up sometime next week. Enjoy your pendants!

• bpollen
    9 years ago

I love the mirror. You can't go wrong with an arch top bevelled mirror, especially paired with a china pedestal sink.

I love the sink. I'd put money into high quality, pretty faucet, but I'm sure you are going to.

Unlike the others, I'm not loving the pendants. It's just me, I guess. But they seem a bit of that rustic style that is so popular these days (altho the rustic is usually bronze), with metal guards around it. A bit bulky looking for the delicate looking china sink and arched mirror. But maybe they look more delicate in person.

I'd never thought about it before, but what I notice when I walk into a new bathroom is the sink/vanity and faucet first, the mirror (if it's eye catching; otherwise, I don't notice it, I think). Then I notice the lights, I think. A toilet is a toilet, unless there's something noticeable about it, which usually there is not.

• Stephanie S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not quite done, but here's where we're at! Need some artwork and a few minor tweaks, but I think it came together pretty nicely! Thanks again for all the advice. Sorry for the lousy iPhone pic...when it's 100% done I'll try and upload nicer ones.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love it when people come back and post how things have turned out! Looks like you got the lovely pendants...they look great with the mirror and sink. Beautiful!

• enduring
    9 years ago

Love the lights. I say, you have to break the budget somewhere, might as well be those lights, lol. They are very pretty. I like the herringbone wall too :)

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

It looks so nice and I love the wall pattern. Thanks for posting!