Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this powder room acceptable to you?

Posted by hima36 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 13:48

Dear friends, I posted this image on "building" forum as I am conserned about powder room location. Is this location acceptable to you? It is opening in family room. Only other alternative we have is between family room and formal living are (door opens towards foyer). That will take out lot of space and our architecture strongly recommend attached position. I really like having it near stairs (where currently we have storage) but architercture said it is not sufficient area to construct powder room

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this powder room acceptable to you?

Does this powder room acceptable to you? Other option we have is between formal and family living - opening in foyer. I posted that on building wessite previously, but thought to get opinion from this forum too, as i m still confused. our architect is recommending this way, as it gives us spacious living area. thoughts?

o

I'm not crazy about it opening up into the main living area. It seems awkward and inconvenient there, especially if you regularly have guests. The foyer or hall would be better, or can you add it to the laundry room?

o

I wouldn't like it at all.

o

I looked over this for a while and there are things that I wonder about. I am just going to mention from my point of view, you may love these things and so you should stick to it.

The smaller closet to the left. At 4'6" deep you have storage across the back but those wings forward don't offer much, corners are either great corner cabinets or places to loose stuff.

You have a huge amount of square footage for bathroom, yet sink areas are small.

I don't mind the placement of the powder room so much certainly down a hall is better. At least the door swing is right, this room is very narrow too but it's for a half bath

Your in the planning stages now, now is the time to study study study. Look at traffic flows, picture yourself in space for how you live. Don't be afraid to scrap and start over if it's not working.

o

That bath location would be completely unacceptable in a new build. A deal breaker. I couldn't build a house with a bath directly off of an eating area/family. There is plenty of room in the much too large master bath to be able to cut and get a powder room off of the laundry room. But that brings up another thing that would bug the heck out of me. I wouldn't want a master bedroom off of a kitchen either. Down a short hall with a powder room and a laundry room, maybe. But as that's drawn, there is going to be a lot of sound transmission between the kitchen/family room area and the master area. No sleeping late in this house! Or staying up late to watch movies.

And what's up with that tiny kitchen? It's really small compared to the rest of the house. The master area takes up half of the downstairs space, and if the upstairs mirrors the down, that means you've got 1/4 of the house devoted to rooms that hardly ever get used unless you have your eyes closed. Why not start taking away space from those type of areas and put it somewhere that it will be really useful? Like the kitchen, and a better powder room location.

o

I agree with the others. It's an awkward location for a powder room.

I prefer to design so that the powder room door is "around the corner" from any of the main rooms.

As has been mentioned, there is a fair amount of dysfunction in the overall design. At least according to how I live, and how I'd prefer to navigate from space to space.

The fact that your master bedroom shares walls with some of the noisiest rooms in a house; the kitchen, the laundry room (with the machines actually on the bedroom wall), the family room, an entry...

It is confusing. I do understand that this might be based on how you like to live and use your space. So if it's done for those reasons, that's all fine. But the fact that you have issues with the powder room location leads me to believe that this may simply be a poorly designed layout that the architect, for whatever reason, is forcing upon you.

o

THANK YOU all so much. I owe a lot to this forum. I have decided not to move forward with this project. again, thank you all. All the suggestions are very valuable and i will keep in mind for future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here