Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgd1_gw

Leathered limestone

cgd1
13 years ago

We are renovating the master bath, and are planning to use a honey onyx mosaic tile (mini versailles pattern) for the floor, a handmade-ish matte white subway tiles for the shower walls (Sonoma tilemakers "star" line, with an accent strip of honey-onyx mini brick and white cabinetry (perhaps with a bit of a golden glaze, depending on countertop choice).

The issue is countertops: we are considering Jerusalem Gold limestone, in a leathered finish (or alternatively, honed), or perhaps an "Afyon Sugar" marble (white with golden brown veining). We've been told that both limestone and marble are more porous, and therefore more likely to stain (as compared to granite or man-made quartz), but we have not found any granite that we like (even the relatively "calm" granites are too busy with our floor).

So now the questions:

If you have limestone countertops, do you regret the choice? Is it a major hassle or just a bit more high-maintenance?

Is the marble materially, or only marginally, better than the limestone? And does it matter if it is polished or honed? We prefer the limestone, but if marble is much better, then we could be happy with the marble.

What does anyone know about leathered vs. honed surfaces (especially limestone, durability-wise? The leathered finish definitely looks like it might be more forgiving...

And what sorts of things do we really need to worry about, staining-wise? we don't generally use a lot of chemicals, cosmetics, etc. ... but I do use a bit of hairspray most days (which I have heard can be a problem with some countertops).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (14)

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

I don't know about those but wondered if onyx or natural quartz presented any useful option? Sounds like a pretty bathroom.

• cgd1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. We ruled out onyx countertops due to combination of outrageous expense (over $200/sq foot), and durability (our fabricator said onyx will chip easily, and can "crumble" during fabrication). I have not seen any natural quartz slabs, but assume similar concerns may apply there.

Anyone out there have leathered limestone?

• cgd1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. We ruled out onyx countertops due to combination of outrageous expense (over $200/sq foot), and durability (our fabricator said onyx will chip easily, and can "crumble" during fabrication). I have not seen any natural quartz slabs, but assume similar concerns may apply there.

Anyone out there have leathered limestone?

• bbstx
    13 years ago

My neighbor has a shaving stand with a limestone top in her bathroom. The cleaning service set a bottle of some cleaning agent down on the top (maybe Windex?). There is now a permanent, etched, blue-stained ring on the top. Even though the look is lovely, I would pass on limestone countertops.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I just had limestone counters installed which have a finish that might be what you are calling "leathered". That is not what the tile place called it, but I can't remember the finish name. It;s not honed, but is a bit shinier with an almost tiny pitted finish. It is seagrass limestone. Unfortunately, i cannot speak to problems because it is brand new. I am struggling with whether to seal it or not because the color is perfect and I don't want to enhance it at all. I will be the only one using the bathroom, so think i can keep from staining it if I;m very careful..but I don't know.

• dandkmom
    13 years ago

I'm in the final stages of my master bath renovation. Put in Honey Onyx Mandarin floor and shower walls with Honey Onyx mosaic shower flower and accents on walls. We went with Jerusalem Gold limestone counters, tub deck and shower seat. We've been using the shower for a couple of weeks and so far no problems. We have not used the sinks/counters yet so I can't speak to the durability, but the combination of the limestone and onyx is beautiful.

I am looking for a wipe similar to Clorox wipes but without the chemicals to use for quick cleanups of makeup/toothpaste.

The honed finish of the counters has been sealed, but I will be doing regular maintenance (more than I do on my granite kitchen counters) to try minimize etching and staining.

• gorillakilla
    13 years ago

Jerusalem Gold when leathered will make a fine choice for a countertop. only real worry with it will be is etching, use a coaster if your going to bring your coffee in with you in the morning

not a very absorbent stone but i would seal it

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Olychick and dandkmom--now that you both have had your limestone counters for a while, can you please comment on how they are holding up? Etching? Staining? Would you do it again?

I'm having a hard time finding a stone for my master bath vanitynthat looks good with the tiles I picked.

Thanks!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Breezy, I still love my limestone. I have not (yet) sealed it or the grout. I use only a wet cloth to wipe it and it looks every bit as good as when new. I am careful, though and don't set anything on it that would stain. No coffee cups, no hair products, etc. Have gotten toothpaste and I've spilled baking soda solution that I use on my retainers on it and no problems from either.

• alku05
    13 years ago

If you'd like the look of limestone without the risk of etching, Ceasarstone has a color called Jerusalem Sandstone that is rather pretty, especially with the honed finish. In kitchens, Sharb has it on her island (you can see pics on the FKB).

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Olychick. Most of what I read about limestone in a bathroom is pushing me towards a different kind of stone. There's a place down in Portland that has some unusual marbles I haven't seen in Seattle so I'm contemplating a drive down. It's a long way to go with two kids, one of whom hates her car seat! ;)

Alku--I'm not a big fan of the man made stones I've seen, but I'm sure I haven't seen that one IRL. I'll make sure I check them out on my stone hunt!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

But honestly, sometimes I can get to Portland faster than trying to get through to Seattle. At least it's a prettier drive, but your child probably has no appreciation. Good luck.

• DoggieMom
    13 years ago

If you don't like the engineered stones, you may not like this either, but have you seen the Silestone River series which comes in a leathered finish? I'm using Tigris Sand leather finish for my counters which is sort of a pale buttery color and using limestone for my floors and shower. The Silestone resembles limestone but has a more subtle pattern and less movement, the leather finish is smooth and matte. I've tested it with coffee, lipstick, eyeliner, red wine, ketchup, olive oil, blue listerine and everything wiped off with no issues whatsoever.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Good point, Olychick.

Doggiemom--I'll be sure and check that series out when I go look at stones again. I have to admit that I've dismissed all engineered stones based on the very limited number I've seen IRL. I'll give them a chance!