Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Worth getting glass inserts for pocket doors in master bath?

kaysd
10 years ago

I am trying to decide whether it is worth the extra $620 cost and 5 week delay to order doors with textured glass inserts for our master bath. The bathroom is 13' x 6' and has two pocket doors: 1 that separates the bedroom from the vanity area and 1 that separates the vanity area from the shower and toilet area. The options are: (1) painted MDF door with 3 recessed panels and square sticking that matches bedroom door, which is close to bathroom door, or (2) same door style, but the recessed panels are glass in a simple pattern that works well with the tile. (I can't post a picture now because my office has apparently blocked access to Photobucket recently.)

I have saved pictures of several bathrooms with textured or frosted glass panels in the doors because I really like the look. However, because they are pocket doors that will likely be hidden in the pockets most of the time (except when someone is using the toilet), it may not be worth it.

We plan on putting 2 Solatubes in the bathroom. The light coming through the textured glass would be very pretty, so maybe we would keep the outer door closed part of the time so people (mainly us) see the pretty door rather than the bathroom. Then again, I might want a solid door to block the light so I can sleep. Of course, I have to get up at 6 am anyway.

DH likes the idea of cheaper and faster (we are ready for the doors now), but says to get whatever I want. (Because we won't be changing it later.)

I am worn out from making decisions (and family health crises). WWYD?

With glass:

Modern Hall by Seattle Architects & Designers Motionspace Architecture + Design

Modern Bathroom by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Angela Todd Designs

Without glass:

Contemporary Bathroom by Lethbridge Interior Designers & Decorators Jennifer McCarthy

Traditional Laundry Room by Kirkland Interior Designers & Decorators Kristi Spouse Interiors

Comments (7)

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm with your DH-save the $620 or spend it on something that won't be hidden away 90% of the time.

It is a nice idea, but truly, you won't often close those doors too see the glass, except when the toilet is in use and someone else is sharing the bathroom with you. (If I understand the door situation correctly?)

I recently finished a bath and closet remodel. The shoe part of the closet has really neat pocket doors that the carpenter made from an original door (125 yrs old) that he cut in half. The doors are so cool! They have never been closed, though. Never. )-:

• kaysd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I anticipate the doors will be in the open/hidden position most of the time. The bath we ripped out had a regular swing door that was always open, except when the toilet was being used or occasionally in winter to keep the steam in the bathroom to avoid stepping out of a warm shower into a cold room. I chose to use pocket doors in the new bath to keep the open doors out of the way.

I would love to see your doors, Shanghaimom. They sound really cool.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Could you justify having the bedroom to bathroom door glass and the other solid? or the other way around? I agree that they are only beautiful when they are closed.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I have pocket doors in my bath, and personally, I'd just do the regular painted door. The glass doors will also need to be tempered, and will be heavier. And, you'll be able to see a silhouette of the person using the toilet nearest the toilet door (that would be a huge no-no for my DH.

Just saying.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

we will have two pockets in our master too, believe we're going with regular (probably as shown, with panels). I thought about glass for the closet but the toilet door will be regular. I'll probably go regular for the closet too and maybe put a mirror on it if I just get one inset panel instead of 3.

We have pocket doors in both bathrooms now and they are solid, they are open most of the time.

• TAS
    10 years ago

We are in the middle of a remodel of our master bath. We already have two solid 6 panel pocket doors that are staying. They separate the bedroom from the vanity area and the vanity area from the walkin closet. We are replacing the swing door that separates the vanity area from the shower/toilet room with a pocket. I too considered frosted glass similar to what you posted. It would let more light in the toilet/shower room since there is no window there. Plus I love the look too. However I ended up doing mirror on the vanity side with 6 panel on the toilet side. Thought having a full length mirror in the vanity area and complete privacy in the toilet room was better than the pretty glass.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I absolutely love the look of glass/frosted glass in the pocket door. Did think for a minute of doing it in my Master Bath. But I love my blackout drapes, and sleeping in total darkness, so wouldn't appreciate the early morning light...(and now that I think about it, that's probably the reason I haven't been sleeping through the night since the bathroom wall has been torn down...duh!) We just ordered ours with mirror on BOTH sides, one for dressing and altering (Seem to have to hem a LOT of pants) and one for checking things in private...shhh. My sister also commented that it might be better to balance the weight having mirror on both sides. DH made the frame himself as he was not impressed with the quality of ready made ones.

Curious as to why it would cost you $620 more though. Really $310 for glass for each door? Anyhow, my recommendation is to save the money and stick with the solid doors.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner