Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Is Robern Worth It?

Nancy in Mich
10 years ago

I am planning ahead for a bathroom gut in a year or so. I have started to buy materials as I find great deals on them. In researching bathroom mirrored medicine cabinets, I came across the option of the defogging mirror with electrical plugs inside by Robern. After seeing cabinets with cheap plastic boxes in the big box stores, Robern boxes at the plumbing store seemed like "the real thing." Having the electric toothbrush inside a cabinet is great, too. A defogging mirror for DH when he shaves would be that little luxury that seems extra special.

We are not rich. If I was buying at full price, I would not buy Robern. I have searched this forum and read up on Robern cabs and people who have them love them. I also saw the post where someone simply had their contractor put an electrical outlet into the backside of their cabinet. That is a great solution! My contractor could easily do that if I don't get a cabinet with a glass mirror on the back wall.

Here is my dilemma: a guy on Craigslist has an arched top beveled edge Robern cab 20 x 30 x 4 with electric inside and defogging, new in box, for sale for $300. Medicine cab box dimensions are 18-1/2"W x 29-1/4"H. I need two mirrors for my vanity. The second Robern - non electric - but with 6" depth to hold all of my stuff would be $635 at the cheapest internet retailer I have found. So our total for Robern would be $935.

Meanwhile, I have finally managed to get DH interested in this project and together we have settled on the Kohler aluminum bodied Bancroft rounded-edge beveled-edge mirror cabinet that is 20 x 31 x 5 with a 19 x 25 box that can be recessed. This is our "not a Robern" high quality cabinet that would be $440 total for both cabinets, but without electrical inside and no defog. I am doubting that the electrical can be put in the back wall, since it has a mirrored back. I am hoping it is a metallic mirrored back and not a glass mirrored back, for that reason.

My question to GW bathroom folks is: Is Robern worth the extra money? I have seen here people refer to Kohler/Robern, and wonder if this cab I am considering as my alternative is one of those, since it fits the Robern style so well. Do any of you who looked at Robern but bought other medicine cabinets regret that decision, or do you feel that you are glad that you recovered from temporary madness just in time to keep yourself from committing consumer excess that was just not "you?" It is not like I am downgrading to particle board here. Will I really, really miss having the electrical plug in the cabinet? Has anyone ever tried to put the electrical plug in a cab with a "mirrored" back wall? Is it worth $500 to have an electrical plug in one cabinet?

Comments (70)

• hawkhuntr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

homepro - yes it is the PLM2430. Robern's customer service said I can purchase a new door for something like 155 bucks plus shipping. since its a 400 dollar cabinet, I am not going to purchase a new one and would rather buy from another company that stands behind their products. The cabinet it replaced was over thirty years old and looked brand new. I have no issue spending money for quality products, But I expect them to last. Beveled mirrors from Robern are supposed to be quality. I keep my bathroom pristine and it looks like it did when i installed it as many years ago, except for the vanity. What annoys me even more, is how I cannot find even an email address for any executives there to complain to. I am usually pretty good at hunting them down when i need to but this company must have experience avoiding customers who are not satisfied. To be honest, even if the company had offered to replace it at a reduced cost, I would have accepted that after these years, but to simply say we are sorry for the inconvenience, please buy another door from us at full cost. that is poor customer service and not worthy of me being a repeat customer. I will be sure to visit every site I can and make it known their products don't last and are not backed up .

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Robern is part of Kohler Hawkhuntr. Find an email for a Kohler executive. I understand your frustration.

• hawkhuntr
    7 years ago

I received a very quick response back from Kohler customer service manager that will be to my satisfaction for the damaged part. My faith has been restored. It helps when you get the correct person. They do claim that unless pitting is evident the de-lamination could be due to using ammonia based solvents and recommend a damp cloth only. That is actually all we ever used to clean it , and we do see sporadic pit spots here and there, so I am glad they are giving us satisfaction.

Nancy in Mich thanked hawkhuntr
  • homepro01
    7 years ago

Hawkhuntr,

Great news that you got satisfaction!!

• plan2remodel
    7 years ago

The owner of a local glass company recently told me that the AMMONIA in glass cleaners causes mirrors to go black on the edges. Windex sells an ammonia-free glass-cleaning product, but their "original" glass cleaner contains ammonia.

She recommended A-Maz for cleaning glass shower doors.

Nancy in Mich thanked plan2remodel
  • hawkhuntr
    7 years ago

thanks for the info

• stavros100
    7 years ago

Nancy, too bad I didn't see this earlier. I have revamped a bathroom for a handicap person and have three Robern medicine cabinets that I can sell, Measure 16" wide and 38" high, great shape. They are single "C" series model 1638 which I believe they no longer produce. Steve

Nancy in Mich thanked stavros100
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Steve, I still am waiting to do the remodel, but I have been buying all the components. I picked up a pair of med cabs from Restoration Hardware on sale. If I did not have them, I would definitely take you up on it.

• User
    7 years ago

hawkhuntr, I just found this thread as I was researching the same issue with my Robern cabinet that is 5 years old. How did you contact Kohler? Phone, email?

• taylorevans
    7 years ago

Check out http://www.electricmirror.com - amazing product! US manufactured and customer service is excellent

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Taylorevans,

It does not appear that they have basic medicine cabinets. Everything has built in lighting or a TV. Robern is also made in the US.

• Kitty Kat
    6 years ago

No. I just received for the second time two M series medicine cabinets with simple electric outlets built in. I sent them back the first time because the corners were not square. The gasket sticks out beyond the mirror, so you see a 1/8'-1/4" grey rubber gasket beyond door mirror. They don't show you that detail on their website or in their brochure. I ordered for recessed installation, and am very disappointed that the craftsmanship is shoddy. It took 3 long calls to Customer Service to get someone to respond. They essentially said, "Sorry but we have no contact with the manufacturing facility or quality control, but your comments will be noted here." I reordered with comments and pictures through distributor and to Customer Service, hoping they would be able to correct faulty detail and manufacturing. However, second batch of medicine cabinets are just as skewed. The distributor says they are all like that. I ordered locally through a distributor with 40% off manufacturers list, because of the convenience of the electrical outlet. I also looked at the Flawless Cabinets which are much less, and if you can do without electric outlet in cabinet, I would take a serious look at that brand. I'm waiting to have them installed and will give you a report later on that. Otherwise, from a craftsmanship, detailed looks view point, I would not get them again, especially for the price even with the discount.

Nancy in Mich thanked Kitty Kat
  • kippee
    6 years ago

I have a robern with an interior outlet for electric toothbrush. I spent the extra money only because I wanted the toothbrush holder off the countertop. I do not recall where I found it, but got it on sale. I like the cabinet but did think it was rather expensive. In another bathroom I installed a pegasus medicine cabinet for considerably less money. It does not have an electrical outlet but is very well made and looks very similar to the robern and is also well constructed. In another bathroom I installed a kohler medicine cabinet for about $80. It was poorly constructed and designed. I wished I had spent a little more and gotten the pegasus.

Nancy in Mich thanked kippee
  • chispa
    6 years ago

I used 2 Keuco recessed medicine cabinets in one of my bathrooms, with the interior outlet. Similar price point to Robern. Good quality.

I did have to order a spare door after the glass was damaged while the cabinet sat around waiting for the remodel. It got damaged while being moved or bumped into by the contractors. They are made in Germany, so the door took a while to show up.
    http://www.keuco.com/KEUCO/p470163l4/PRODUCTS.html

Nancy in Mich thanked chispa
  • homepro01
    6 years ago

Although I love Keuco, I did not like the medicine cabinets in comparison to Robern for few reasons:

1. The door swung overhead for large expanses of mirror
    2. For side opening doors, you had a seam in the middle for cabinets that were wider than 15".
    3. Maximum cabinet depth was 6".

Another brand to consider is a Swiss company called Sidler. The maximum depth for their cabinets is 6" where Robern goes up to 8". I have a both 8" and 4" deep cabinets. The 8" cabinets are great.

My Roberns are older, maybe 4years ago was the last one I purchased and the gaskets don't stick out beyond the mirror.

Good luck!

Nancy in Mich thanked homepro01
  • hawkhuntr
    5 years ago

sactoroy,

I just saw this question, sorry. Robern was purchased by Kohler. I contacted Kohler Customer service 1 (800) 456-4537.

Just work your way up the chain if you get no satisfaction. be nice and friendly and explain you have a problem and are very disappointed in the quality of the product. Manufacturers don't want to hear that and look for ways to improve. Most times they will be responsive but it all depends on who you get at the other end and what kind of day they have had to get good results. remember many companies also monitor these forums and others and often respond back to you if they see you are having a quality issue.

Nancy in Mich thanked hawkhuntr
  • pattyl11
    5 years ago

Sofia Medicine Cabinets come in 4" and 5 1/2" depths. Electrical outlets are an option. They offer a 5 year warranty.

http://sofiamedicinecabinets.com/

Nancy in Mich thanked pattyl11
  • leegomi
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i cannot recommend Robern medicine cabinets (I purchased a M series). i did a full house gut renovation and moved into the house in July 2017, in 2018 the electrical outlet stopped working and the bottom of the mirror started to rust. I called Robern and they wanted to charge me $250 for a new electrical panel. Unfortunately my architect ordered the cabinet in 2016 and by the time we moved into the house, it was no longer under warranty. I’m very disappointed in the quality and cannot recommend Robern.

Nancy in Mich thanked leegomi
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This thread has turned into a nice discussion of various brands, and I like that. I am sorry that so many have had issues with their med cabs. I did finally get my bathroom gut remodel done this past summer. The trouble with purchasing so many products ahead of time is that when I changed plans along the way, I was stuck with huge tube sconces that I bought to put one one either side of the paired med cabs. My design changed at least four times during the 5 years I was planning this, and ended up with a foot of space between the mirrors instead of them only inches apart. That meant that the tube sconces had to go above the med cabs. I don't mind too much that they are bigger, but I know that not all like the look. I also lost that desired "lighting from the side" that the bathroom designers encourage. Hubby does not mind the placement for shaving, and I do not wear make-up, so it works for us. Here is the finished vanity area:
    Click on the pic to get the whole thing (Houzz crops them when they shrink).

• plan2remodel
    5 years ago

nancyinmich, your new bathroom looks lovely and functional, even though you lost your side lighting. I like the offset sink, which appears to give more counter space than if it had been centered.

I've been working on plans for my hallway bathroom for over three years. The electrician dashed my hopes of an electric mirror (or medicine cabinet), centered above the vanity, when he pointed out that there is a plumbing vent (hidden) in that wall, at exactly where I would want an electric outlet for the mirror. Instead, I'm planning for a framed mirror, no medicine cabinet, and pendant lighting, which will need to be LED to conform with California's latest energy requirements.

• chispa
    5 years ago

plan2remodel, plumbing vents can be moved ... just need more time and money to get it done!

Installed a Robern cabinet in son's bathroom this past year. Our family has been using Robern for 30 years. They are pricey, but happy with the quality of the cabinet and all the storage space it provides in a small bathroom.

• plan2remodel
    5 years ago

chispa, thanks, I'll keep that in mind, especially if the vent needs to be replaced for any reason. Plumber says all vents must be ABS -- I have no idea if this is what's in the wall.

Anyway, I was thinking more about an electric mirror than medicine cabinet. It's my son's bathroom and he never uses the medicine cabinet that is currently there on the side wall.

• chispa
    5 years ago

plan2remodel, the Robern model I used in my son's bathroom has outlets inside for charging stuff and 2 built in light strips on the outside, which can be dimmed.

• HU-6868130
    5 years ago

For what it is worth I love Robern and am renovating a bathroom with the 6” deep model with plugs on the inside And the light strips attached to both sides (the lights are very pricey but great if you donnot mind the price). I am not getting the fog free option. To save money I would put a fog free mirror in the shower and shave in there. That is my preference anyway.

Nancy in Mich thanked HU-6868130
  • chispa
    5 years ago

This is the one I put in my son's bathroom:
    https://www.robern.com/products/medicine-cabinets/aio-lighted-cabinets/two-door/ac3030d4p2l/

I didn't have much wall space, so having the integrated lights allowed me to get the larger cabinet.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That is a nice one, Chispa! Do the lights provide enough light, or is it too early to tell? the 6" depth is very nice. I went with 4" depth, and it is working for our toiletries. I doubt a waterpic would fit, though. Sometimes the extra depth is nice.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Plan2remodel, it is too bad that moving that stack was not in your cards. I know I was lucky to have no stacks in the way. There was the cold-air return in the wall space on the vanity wall, but I was lucky that it fit right between where my med cabs needed to go! Had I wanted them closely side-by-side as in my original plan, I would have had an issue.

Thanks for the kind comments on the bathroom remodel. I did the offset sink so that there would be sitting space in front of the second med cab. I can sit on my high-ish stool and see my head, and reach inside for styling supplies, then get my hair dryer out of the side slide-out cabinet and even reach the faucet to rinse my hands, all without rising. My failing knees are loving it. More pictures of the rest of the room are at: [Reveal[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bathroom-reveal-ada-shower-with-custom-vanity-in-small-bathroom-dsvw-vd~5437746)

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pamal66, those Sophia med cabs are beautiful! They have great options, good design, and those 170 degree doors can't be beat. I looked though all of the collections and saw some very nice ones.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Nancy, yes the lights provide plenty of light around the sink/vanity area. I also installed 4" recessed lights in the ceiling. Two over the tub/shower and two in middle of the bathroom. I always install lots of lights! Good to have when needed and easily dimmed when you want less.

I had to go with the 4" depth on the cabinet due to the depth of the existing wall. I would also choose the 6" depth if it would have fit.

• User
    5 years ago

Regarding the defogger: I'd rather invest in a good bathroom fan with appropriate CFM than spend the money on a unit with a built-in defogger. The fan will also protect all your expensive fixtures, the vanity, tiles/grout, painted walls, ceiling etc. from excessive moisture.

My mirrors (no medicine cabinets) are hanging directly on an outside wall, yet they never ever fog up. We turn the fan on just before showering and leave it running for another 5 to 10 minutes or so.

Also, to keep glass or mirrors from fogging up, rub the surface with shaving foam until the surface is dry again. Mirrors won't fog up for a week or two, even in a steamed up bathroom.

• ngljlooking
    5 years ago

I've had a Robern medicine cabinet in a master bathroom for 18 years. About 10 years ago, the mirror on the back wall of the cabinet, the mirror inside the door and the front mirror started to tarnish/rust. It is bad enough now that I want to do something about it. I'm not sure there is anything I can do about the mirror on the back wall of the cabinet, but Robern has offered to replace the door of the cabinet (mirror inside and out) for a cost of about $180.

I'm thinking about chucking the whole thing since the wall mirroring is also tarnishing/rusting. Any thoughts about a quality replacement without having to pay the Robern price. I'm not exactly pleased that the mirroring failed in the cabinet. The bathroom is well ventilated and the wall mirror and the medicine cabinet rarely fog up, so moisture isn't the problem in this bathroom. I have a couple big box store medicine cabinets in guest bath and children's bathroom and the mirroring on those cabinets is holding up very well...no problems, and they are just as old. Really disappointed that Robern mirrors fail.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am not familiar with many brands. I know that my Restoration Hardware mirror is almost as expensive as a Robern. Although I bought it about 5 years ago, it just went into use this summer, so I cannot report on its longevity. From what I read, the trick is to clean the mirrors with only a damp microfiber cloth. Window cleaner will seep in at the sides and ruin the silvering, eventually.

You may wish to post this as a question by itself. Because this thread is so old, not many people will probably bother to look and see your question here.

• adawn5
    5 years ago

Another tip (in addition to Nancy's advice to not spray cleaner and use a damp cloth instead): Try to avoid using anything with ammonia to clean mirrors (including medicine cabinet mirrors). The regular formula of Windex, for example, contains ammonia. I use Glass Plus and Sprayway Glass Cleaner as alternatives. Both work great and less likely to cause damage. Same for cleaning frameless glass shower doors.

Nancy in Mich thanked adawn5
  • Wendy Fields
    5 years ago

Nancy, your new bathroom looks great! You must be thrilled. I like your choice of two medicine cabinets over one long vanity. How did you choose RH over myriad other options? Do your cabinets have electric outlets? If not, where do you charge your toothbrush and Clairsonic face cleanser?

Nancy in Mich thanked Wendy Fields
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Wendy, yes, they both have electrical outlets inside. I think I chose the RH option because they were a bit deeper than the cheap ones and I wanted electric outlets inside with the metal-rimmed look. I bought them on sale, and that was the deciding factor. They sat in their boxes in my house for 5 years before the remodeling was actually done! I had identified approximate sizes for the med cabs, and I just kept looking for sales of ones that were meta-rimmed and had the outlet.

Our electric toothbrush is my husband's med cab. I have no idea what a Clairsonic face cleanser is. My cotton wash cloth just needs hot water to be applied. ;-)

• robfeld
    5 years ago

Have 2-year-old AIO double mirror cabinet. The top left (hinge side) corner of the left door is falling apart, so the door is crooked. Will be contacting Robern (which is part of Kohler). We'll see what the say. Seems like a $1400 cabinet should have better than a one year warranty. I'd say don't waste the money unless the cost is irrelevant to you, and you just can't be happy with anything else. Quality so far doesn't seem better than anything else.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago
    We are using 2 Sidler medicine cabinets (not yet installed but here on site, they seem very nice). Robern did not have the size/height I was looking for, but Sidler did not have an electric outlet at all. I’m asking the electrician this week if he can add an outlet inside each cabinet on the side wall where there is no mirror similar to the example pic I found below. Certainly not as pretty as Robern’s electrical detail but OK for the goal of hiding the electric toothbrush.
    I asked Sidler about doing an electric outlet and they said they were considering it but could not at this time. It will void the warranty to modify the cabinet like this.
    Nancy in Mich thanked myricarchitect
  • drdiane34
    3 years ago

The answer is simple. NO! De-silvering occurred within one year of install. That is unacceptable. Robern's response, the warranty is from one year of 'purchase', not 'install'. Their solution, FIRST - playing the blame games, suggesting that I didn't properly care for the mirrors, when factually I did. Next, they recommend I buy replacements for 50% off? Really, I spent $480 per mirror! The mirrors that I replaced stayed strong for 27 years. Worst purchase decision I have ever made for my home. Robern rates #1 for POOR QUALITY, BACKED BY POOR SERVICE.

• adawn5
    3 years ago

By any chance do you regularly use products containing ammonia to clean your mirrored cabinets such as regular windex?

• drdiane34
    3 years ago

never :)

• adawn5
    3 years ago

Sorry. In that case, for the price paid, they really should have held up a lot better.

• Kitty Kat
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Robern is not worth the price. If you can get a 40% discount, then maybe, but their customer service does not exist and the product has manufacturing flaws. They are good at passing the buck to the distributor. I had installed 2 bathroom wall cabinets with electrical outlets. They work but I had to return one of them because the corners were not square and the rubber or plastic trim was not in alignment.

• Kitty Kat
    3 years ago

For cleaning the mirrors, Robern says to only use 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol solution sprayed first on a cloth to clean, not directly on the mirror.

• baseckler
    3 years ago

This is exactly what I use to clean the mirror but it never seems 100% clear. The glass streaks a lot. Perhaps it’s the quality of the glass?

• PRO
    SIDLER®
    2 years ago

Nancy in Mich - Your bathroom looks wonderful!

Nancy in Mich thanked SIDLER®
  • PRO
    SIDLER®
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

myricarchitect - Hi there! Which SIDLER medicine cabinet did you end up buying and installing? I am just curious. Alot has changed from when you purchased your cabinet where we offer GFCI outlets and USB ports in some of our cabinet designs. And also, we use a proprietary technology for our Swiss made mirrors where they will 100% not desliver so, our doors are not bulky and are more streamlined in appearance.

So, I am curious how it all turned out?

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

@ SIDLER - we used (2) 24” x 60” recessed medicine cabinets over bathroom lavs, I would be happy to share photos of the project :)

That house has since been sold, and I already ordered/ have in storage 2 more of the same tall Sidler cabs for the next house. To be fair, I also have ordered/have in storage 2 Robern cabs with swinging doors and 1 Robern uplift cab for other bathrooms. But the Sidler ones are mine lol.

Yes I had to work out my own GFCI electric detail, I had asked Sidler but was told they could not put the electric detail in those specific cabinets without a redesign. I used a surface-mounted smooth tapered electric box on the interior side wall.

• PRO
    SIDLER®
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

myricarchitect - Thank you for your response. So, you used the SIDLER Tall cabinet over your sinks then. It is this one: https://www.sidler-international.com/collections/tall-mirrored-medicine-cabinet/

Yes, this collection is one of our non-electrical cabinets. There are other options we have with electrical and lighting, which we can customize the sizing.

And yes, we would love some pictures of how it turned out. Thank you! I will private message you. Do you also have an IG page as well?

Yes, I know about the Robern Uplift. We have the SIDLER Sidelight, which has a thinner door that lifts up, but our cabinet runs on a different tracking system (counter balanced) and when the door lifts up, the light still stays intact within the cabinet itself. So, there are some differences.

I will private message you. Thank you again.

• choochoo88
    9 months ago

Spent apapproximately $ 3,000.00 for a Robern mirrored medicine cabinet with lighting. One year later the lights greatly diminished in brightness. Robern kindly replaced the door with its lighting. Less than six months later and with little usuage, the second doors‘ lighting diminished tremendously . I am now renovating my other bathroom. Sadly, I will have to pass on purchasing another Robern. You would think quanity in price would correlate with a well-researched quality product. I am so dusappointed.

• choochoo88
    9 months ago

I purchased a very expensive Robern medicine cabinet with electrical outlets and lighted mirror. Have had problems with the lighted mirror door. Replaced it but had issues with the second door. I can not in good conscience recommend Robern. The lights in the doors continue to not last beyond a year and the entire door replacement is the only way to replace lighting. The door is difficult to replace and align. Expensive product, very poor performance.