Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how does bead board hold up in bathroom?

Posted by heidia (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 13:14

I see painted beadboard walls behind sinks and tubs in catalogs all the time. Love the look. But, is it practical? How does it hold up with splashes of water? I am considering bead board behind the sinks in all the bathrooms. I can do tile, but I like the look and price of beadboard better, but, will it hold up to the water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how does bead board hold up in bathroom?

Here's a recent thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: beadboard in the bathroom

o

heidia, while the current bath we just did has only had the beadboard (wider version) for just over a year now, I have had it in previous baths. The bathroom I grew up in had it. There is a difference in the quality of what you put up. If you put up the pine boards and not the thin laminate type stuff, it will last a lot longer. Also, give it some good coats of paint to seal out the water. It will last a very, very long time. Probably longer than the grout would if you put in tile.

We also bounced back and forth between tile and wood for this bath. For the look we wanted it was a LOT of tile (and more costly a lot of trim tile).

Good luck,
Kalindi

o

Heidi - It takes a small amount of design:

1 - a good bathroom fan - preferable the humidity-activated ones

2 - seal the back and the grooves of the beadboard (not just the front) with waterproofing or paint.

3 - install with the bottom edge a half-inch off the floor so in case of a leak it won't soak up water. Baseboard will cover the gap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here