Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Help me create a bill of materials for what I need to buy

lalithar
12 years ago

We are renovating 2 bathrooms and I would appreciate some advice on exactly what I need to get for plumbing fixtures. I have some ideas from a layman perspective but very confused about the actual items and plumbing equipment needed

Master Bath

Hansgrohe Shower on slide bar

Hansgrohe Rain shower head that can be used at the same time

Thermostatic valve

Grab bar

Fixtures for a clawfoot tub

Not sure what else I need - rough in, divertor etc..

Second Bath

Shower on slide bar (goes over tub in an alcove)

Tub spout, stopper etc.

Thermostatic valve

Divertor?

Grab bars

Wall mounted fold down seat (one of the users will be my elderly mother. Not sure what to look for here)

thanks

Lalitha

Comments (11)

• gmp3
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am not sure I understand, will your mom be using a tub or walk in shower? Tubs are very difficult and dangerous for the elderly, and a walk in shower is a better option.

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

Will a plumber being doing the work and you just want to have the valves, trim kits, and assorted niceties on hand for him to install, or will you be doing the rough plumbing and finish plumbing/installation all by yourself?

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mongoct- A plumber will be doing the work. All I was looking to do is to source the items we need before hand and to try and get the cheapest price. The plumber is ok with that, but the items need to be ready and available if not he is just going to pick up "whatever" from the local plumbing store or I have to pay top dollar for any specific fixtures.

Gmp3 - my mom prefers the shower over a tub and I will be installing a fold down shower bench for her as well as several grab bars.

Lalitha

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Mongo is being very kind here by giving you the list for free. If you lack the expertise to create your own list, then the information that he has provided is part of what you pay a plumber for, and it's part of why the fixtures that the plumber provides are more expensive than if you source them yourself. You're paying for the expert knowledge. Unfortunately, without understanding what each of the parts is needed for and how the choices are interrelated, you may make mistakes with your order that could impact your timeline. I think you need to educate yourself a bit further so as to understand what you're ordering so that doesn't happen. Or, just let your plumber create his own list and order for you.

PS, you owe Mongo a commission check! ;)

• greenfingernail
    12 years ago

I agree Mongo is most gracious!!
    That said, he must be a very rich guy, since everyone must be paying him that commission, huh Mongo??

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GW has been cranky since Friday and keeps complianing about illegal strings when I attempt to reply to this thread.

MongoCt is definitely most gracious! I emailed him offline to thank him and share my experience in the plumbing suppkly store when I went with the Mongolist and could rattle off iBox.... as opposed to asking for that "thingie behind the lever to keep the temperature constant and make the hand shower and rain shower work at the same time :)"

This is what I love about GW.

• Lynne Reno
    12 years ago

make sure your plumber knows how to install hansgrohe so that you don't have to pay him for 'on the job training'. Not all plumbers are familiar with it. We had a plumber out here who hooked up the diverter wrong and thankfully our GC caught it before any tile went up.

• mahnrut
    3 years ago

I have a similar question many years later. I would like for our tub/shower bathroom to use one of the Hansgrohe shower systems where you have on one structure an overhead shower head, a bar and a handheld shower head plus a thermostatic valve. There are many models (27129/27112/27185 of these kits (they lack a valve and tub spout) but I cannot find out from any descriptions for example whether you can use these for either shower head at a time and a tub spout. Some say two function but I think that applies to the two heads. Many thanks for any help.

• Bongo
    3 years ago

@mahnrut i literally was just researching this same issue myself :-)

• Barbara T
    3 years ago

Bongo I have asked the same question on websites selling these shower kits but the chat comes back and says “Ask Hansgrohe”. I called and it says that Tech Support are out until after the New Year”. So if you find out anything please post.