Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandca

Advanced toilet seat or Moslem shower?

sandca
10 years ago

Which is more hygenic and practical to use a Moslem shower (i.e. like a kitchen sprayer mounted beside toilet) or an advanced toilet seat (i.e. Washlet). A Moslem shower would definitely be cheaper, would have greater flexibility when in use and could even be used for other cleaning purposes. I am guessing that there is no heated water with it or drying feature. I have a tankless water heater and it takes quite a long time to get warm water to my master BR. Does the advanced toilet seat do just as good a cleaning job? Does the drying function work or do you still use a towel? Sorry if my questions seem offensive but I've never had the opportunity to use either.

Comments (5)

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I have been researching this question for my remodel. I have learned that a small tankless water heater can be had for about $200. I plan to put one inside my vanity to service the sinks and the bidet wand because my tanked water heater is too far away from the bathroom. I have also found a bidet wand that seems shaped better than the "kitchen sprayer" type. See the link below. They offer a anti-scald valve that you can use to make sure that you don't get water that is too hot. Their site has a lot to read if you want details of how to use their product.

If you just want the bidet wand to have warm water, not the vanity, too, look at this product:
    http://www.biffy.com/bidet-warmers.html
    They make the "Biffy" bidet water warmers. One model is electric (low voltage) and the other raises the water temperature to the ambient room temperature without using electricity. They are small canisters that sit on the floor next to the back of the toilet. Both sell for under $100.

I feel that the hand held models will meet my needs better than the bidet seats. I will have to dry off with something, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: HydraWand

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

sandca: "Does the advanced toilet seat do just as good a cleaning job? Does the drying function work or do you still use a towel?"

Advanced toilet seats do a very good cleaning job.

The drying function does work, but there is quite a bit of moisture to dry, so it would take fairly long without help. The usual "help" is a single blotting with toilet paper, commonly two panels folded to get a single panel square that is two layers thick, just touched back there to absorb the excess moisture. From that point the warm air is quite efficient and sufficient.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Interesting.

I have a non-heated bidet add-on that I purchased from Amazon (warehouse) for $45. It is installed using the water inlet valve and tank hook-ups. I did it with a wrench and teflon tape, so very easy. We blot with TP. I would think that would be a close approximation to the Moslem shower without additional plumbing for a wall-mounted sprayer. It's from Luxe Bidet and we're very pleased with it.

We thought to upgrade to an advanced seat when we remodel because I really like the idea of the drying feature. But, if we'll be using a similar amount of TP, then I'm not sure it will be worth it.

• amna
    10 years ago

I am planning on getting the Hydra wand for the bathrooms in our new house. Glad to see it recommended on here. Any experienced users out there who would care to comment on the functionality and durability of this product? I would really appreciate your insights before I buy and install these.

TIA,
    Amna

• amna
    10 years ago

I am planning on getting the Hydra wand for the bathrooms in our new house. Glad to see it recommended on here. Any experienced users out there who would care to comment on the functionality and durability of this product? I would really appreciate your insights before I buy and install these.

TIA,
    Amna