Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerfuffle6

towel hooks in/on porcelain tile

kerfuffle6
9 years ago

I have Crossville Color Blox porcelain tile in my new bathrooms. This stuff is incredibly hard and dense. I would like to install some towel hooks in the tile because, unfortunately, there is no other appropriate place for them. I am worried that the tile will crack if we drill into it. Does anyone know how to minimize the risk of cracking the tile? In the alternative, does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach hooks to the tile without drilling into it? A manager at Home Depot recommended using Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape (holds up to 20 lbs). We tried it, and the hooks fell off as soon as we put towels on them. The weather is getting cooler, and we don't want to keep crossing the room to get our towels when we come out of the shower!

Comments (11)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have been using Command Hooks in the brushed nickel (look) finish to hold bath towels on my porcelain tile since 2011 and they work perfectly! Have the larger ones for the towels and a couple of smaller ones tucked in a corner to hold wet washcloths. The larger are rated for 5 lbs.

I am very, very happy with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Command 5lb hooks

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We've hung towel hooks on the walls, and installed shower shelves on various tiles and never had a problem with tiles cracking. I think you actually drill into the grout lines.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I went through all kinds of anxiety before I let my contractor drill into my new shower tiles in order to install a curved shower rod. The optimum place wasn't on a grout line. He bought a new ceramic drill bit, nice and sharp, and he said the tile cut like butter, nary a crack.

• LE
    9 years ago

Sorry to hijack, but wanted to ask olychick if the command hooks can be put on (and removed from) drywall without tearing it or damaging the paint? (I'm thinking of hooks vs bars and wonder if that would let me try an option out before committing.)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

lori - we have used command hooks in many houses and they do not damage the paint.

• LE
    9 years ago

Thanks, deke-- that'll make one decision that's reversible, unlike most of the others!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm glad someone else has experience with the command hooks on drywall. I put up two little ones, one by each toilet to hold my grandson's potty chair (the kind that fits over the toilet seat). They have held perfectly and I'm glad to know that there won't be any problems when it's time to remove them.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

The key to not damaging the walls when removing command hooks is follow the removal instruction precisely. You have to pull the strip straight down not towards you. It has to be done slowly and the strip stretches to quite a few inches before it releases the base. You should hold on to the base with one hand while pulling down on the strip or the base will go flying off when it releases.
    I use and remove command hooks all the time to hang holiday decorations. I have never had any damage to the walls

This post was edited by badgergal on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 21:35

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

We have very hard 3/8 inch thick porclain tile walls. The key to drilling holes is to first use a smaller drill. I use 1/8 inch, and give a light tap with a hammer. This makes an indentation in the tile - so the bit doesn't wander. A hammer drill with the 1/8 bit will go right through the tile. Then switch to the 1/4 inch, and make your hole for the screw anchor.

I used the Bosch bits - you can get them at HD.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I use Command hooks all the time. They even make ones for wet locations. As Badgergal points out, there is a specific way to remove them so there will be no damage. Keep that little card that they come with so you will do it correctly.

-Babka

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz