Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Have you remodeled or do you have a long narrow master bath?

Christy Bell
13 years ago

I need pictures/ideas of what to do with a long narrow bathroom. We currently have a really long vanity and toilet on one side and a long closet (w/bi-fold doors) and shower on the other side. Anyone handled this type of thing before?

Comments (12)

• wildchild
    13 years ago

It depends on how narrow. Is it 5" tub width narrow or wider?

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

I have had 2 long master bathrooms, what are your dimensions, and are closets in there?

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

What do you consider "long and narrow"? Ours is about 6.25 x 13.25 and we agonized about the layout. We are very happy with our new layout which includes a nice shower, separate soaking tub, small double vanity and WC. Of course, door and window location totally affect how you can arrange the elements, too...

• emilymch
    13 years ago

We just put in a master bath that is 13'x5' - we have a shower, small double vanity, and toilet. I'll be able to take finished pics later today or tomorrow - our contractor is finishing up today with a few odds and ends. So I don't have finished pics yet, but here's the rough layout:

In reality, the vanity is smaller in scale and is slid over towards the toilet, leaving room for our hampers in the left corner of the room.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

yillimuh, Yay, I can't wait to see pics! I was wondering what ever happened with your bath project. I remember when you were planning the layout... Are you happy with it?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I have a master bathroom that is somewhere around 12' long by less than 5' wide. It is layed out almost exactly as yillimuh's with the exception of the door being placed on the long end opposite the shower. The bathroom is from the 1970s and in need of remodeling (bright blue sink and toilet, falling apart tile shower, white painted falling apart vanity, falling apart orange plastic shower door), so I have no pictures to share. The layout is very functional for us. My significant other and I can easily get ready in the bathroom together. We do have to do a bit of squeezing by at the door if I'm doing something like drying my hair (I have the far end sink by the door) when he wants to enter or exit. And a shower door opening by the toilet will be a little tight (right now we have some hideous accordion style orange plastic disaster from the 1970s).

In my remodel (sometime in the near future) I will be doing most everything in white to make the space feel larger. I will be using Daltile Navelli Carrera Star 12"x12" tiles (already purchased) and white toilet and sink. I hope to have a white vanity (similar to RH's Hutton vanities) custom made for me since the space does not fit the vanities I love. I hope to do clear frameless glass shower doors. The space does have a nice large window, though it faces the street so the shades are never open.

• kaysd
    13 years ago

How long and how narrow? Our last master bath was about 8' x 13.5' and the layout worked very well for us. When you opened the door, you were directly facing a tall 18" wide x 36" deep cabinet with full depth pullout shelves. To the left of that cabinet was a 6' x 3' air jet tub. Across the 3' aisle from the tub was a 6' double vanity (immediately to the left of the entry door). To the right of the tall linen cabinet was the 5' x 3' walk-in shower. The toilet was across from the shower (a 3-4' wide full height wall just to the right of the entry door blocked the view of the toilet from the vanity and tub area).

• emilymch
    13 years ago

Thanks for asking, Stacey! I'm glad you remember it, because you were really helpful when I was planning it. I seriously, seriously love it. The 5' width doesn't feel too small, and the shower is fabulous. I find myself just standing in the doorway admiring it! I can't wait to get some good pics and post them here!

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Stacey-
    Is there any way you could post a quick sketchup of your MB? I'm trying to work with a 8'3'' x 12'5'' space and am finding it difficult to fit tub/shower stall/WC/double sinks in.
    Thanks!

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Stacey-
    Thanks for the sketches and photos.
    Your bathroom is lovely...the layout is great, you got it all in without looking cramped!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Thanks-
    I think that in a large-roomed new-construction home it might not have felt right... but in our 1956 house, which has fairly small spaces anyway, it feels downright luxurious :)

The only thing I wish I'd done is swap the door for a pocket door. We generally leave the door open (it's just off the master bedroom, not a hall) and the door swing takes up a lot of floor space.