Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Question for Raindance owners

How is the Raindance handshower as an only shower? This would be for a bath where the ceiling height doesn't allow a rainshower, so any of the showerpipe systems are out. We were thinking the Ecostat valve + Raindance S with the wallbar. Thoughts?

Comments (22)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much, catmom. Very helpful.

Actually after I posted this I saw the new version of the ecostat valve and the raindance handshower, and that pretty much clinches it. How cool that valve is, what a clever idea to combine the mixer and a shelf. We won't even have to do a niche now.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Yay!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have you seen the new version, catmom? I don't think it's readily available in the US yet (could only find one showerpipe version so far), but it's so clever. The valve is in a glass-topped shelf:

• kaysd
    11 years ago

We have used the Raindance head on the Unica wallbar as the only shower head in 3 showers now. The water pressure is strong enough to get shampoo out of my long hair easily and feels good on a sore back.

• elk2000
    11 years ago

The only Hansgrohe shower we have for now (and can comment on) is Raindance Air Allrounder (model 28110001), and it is amazing. It has 3 jets, 63" hose, highly adjustable. The water is pretty powerful. For our second bathroom remodel which we'll start (I hope) in a month, I'm planning to get same one (Allrounder) as handshower, and Hansgrohe Rainfall AIR 180 (model 28433001). I haven't seen this model anywhere on display, unfortunately, so have to rely on online images only. But it does look quite interesting. Does anyone ever used or seen this model in action?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

How does that work writersblock? I am not up on the shower pipes, slide bars, and handhelds since we only wanted wall mounted shower heads

It certainly looks interesting! :-).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, kaysd and elk2000.

Cat mom, these valves from hansgrohe have everything outside of the wall instead of using a rough-in valve in the wall itself. It's basically pretty much like their current ecostat exposed mixer: you turn the left handle to adjust the flow and the right to set the temperature. You can change the cartridge if necessary by unscrewing a set screw and removing one of the handles. The handshower hose attaches to the fitting at the bottom. They also make a model with a diverter for those who have a fixed showerhead as well, and for the previous model there was one that included a tub spout. I would assume there may be one for this version, too, sooner or later.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat mom, this photo from pipdog's fabulous bathroom shows the previous version. You turn the ends of the bar the same way you turn the knobs on the new model. This might give you a better idea of how it all works. The two places it connects to the wall are where the hot and cold lines come out of the wall and into the valve.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rats, that's odd. I can see that photo in pipdog's thread still. Oh well, here's another look at them. This is their history of how the valves evolved. It might make it clearer, anyway:

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

What's the benefit of having it that way vs in-wall rough-in? We have the in-wall type. Less cluttered that way, isn't it?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>Less cluttered that way, isn't it?

You mean in the wall? You still need a way to make it work, no--some kind of handle? So it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other. Does this look cluttered to you, compared to an in wall system with a fixed shower head, control, diverter, and handshower? It's really just a matter of preference, I suppose.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the large photos, but this software is one of the ones that seems to upsize smaller images. You might also take a look at pipdog's marble bath to see if that shower looks more cluttered to you because of the exposed valve.

Here is a link that might be useful: pipdog's master bath

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now that I'm awake, I'm not sure that reads the way I meant it. I didn't mean it as, "Does this look cluttered, huh? Huh, does it?'" I was just giving you two examples so you could decide what you think.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Just saw this. I knew you didn't mean it sarcastically, or in any way nasty. I actually hoped you didn't think I was being snarky! :-)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I have the Raindance Chroma C in one bath, not on a slide bar but on a regular holder. Love it. It's in our guest bathroom and quite a few guests have complimented us on the shower. I did not want the slide bar in this particular bathroom. But the handshower is great for washing the dog.

In the bathroom I'm redoing now - there will be the same handshower but on a slide bar, with a Symmons valve. So yes, I'm happy with it.

The hose did break off the first one, after less than a year, but the place I bought it from replaced it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, phylhl.

Cat_mom, no problem. I didn't take it to be snarky at all, just trying to figure out why people make this choice over that one.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Would love to know where you found out about the new shelved one? I've been searching for your picture, and cannot find it! Is it available in US?

We will be doing 2 baths in the next 4 months, so am very interested in how these work/where to get them.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, kirkhall. I found it initially on their site for pros. So far that shower pipe system is the only one I've found for sale in the US, and only at faucet.com.

Here's the info about the valve itself, but I haven't seen sold alone in the US as of yet. There are also some videos on youtube (mostly NSFW). The valve is the ecostat select, if you want to keep an eye out for when it becomes available. According to their website pricelist, the new valve should cost the same as the old one.

Here is a link that might be useful: raindance select showerpipe at faucet.com

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention I first found it on their international site for pros. This includes a pdf with a lot more detail about how it works and how to install:

Here is a link that might be useful: hansgrohe pro international

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just found the valve at homeclick, but the price is still quite high--over the MSRP, IIRC. It should come down once it's more widely available.

Here is a link that might be useful: valve at homeclick

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, since I first found them a couple of weeks ago, they're starting to appear. The valve is $267 at amazon. Search for hansgrohe 13161001 if you're shopping for just the valve.