Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Replace Soap Holder

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 12:15

I know this is crazy (well, it sounds crazy to me anyway). A houseguest came to me terribly upset. In the guest bath, while in the shower,the ceramic soap/washcloth holder on the ceramic tile wall fell out. Thankfully, it was not broken.

We would like to remount it, but don't know how to do it.

Advice, please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Replace Soap Holder

Bump.

o

I would go to a place that sells tiles and see what they have and recommend.

Pulled one out of a wall I demo'd and it had 5# of plaster on the back to hold it in/on the wall. I've used mastic to hold the soap holder.

o

Thanks, hendricus. I will go to a tile store. At this point, I think it is my only option.

o

Do NOT use mastic to attach the soap holder in the shower. Mastic is water soluble.

o

Thanks, alice, I will keep that in mind.

o

I back-butter them and set them with plaster of paris (PoP). The plaster sets off fairly quickly, so there's no "creep" from the weight of the soap dish causing the dish to slip down the wall.

Generously back-butter the dish, slobber (a somewhat technical trade term) a little PoP in the wall cavity, squish (a highly technical trade term) the soap dish into place, then wipe off any squeeze-out.

When wiping, do any final fine wiping with your fingertip to get a nice cove of PoP around the perimeter of the soap dish. You'll not need to grout or caulk the soap dish/tile seam. The cove of PoP will do that nicely.

I'll hold it on place for a minute or so then use a couple of long strips of blue tape. Never had one move.

Or forget the PoP and set the dish with a modified thinset, but shim/tape well to hold it in place during the (slower than PoP) cure.

Mongo

o

Thank you so much, Mongo. This is info I was looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here