Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kearz10

shower enclosure height question

kearz10
9 years ago

Need input on our shower design. We are striving for a modern minimalist look. Our shower is 6' long x 3' wide and is placed along 2 tiled walls that are 90degrees from one another. The 3' width direction will be left open (no door). The 6' long direction will have a glass panel the entire length. The ceiling is not tiled and the fan is on the outside of the shower. I've been advised against taking the glass to the ceiling (8') as it will promote mold growth since there is no ventilation in the shower itself. I would have thought that the open shower concept in the 3' direction would suffice for ventilation. This will be a normal shower - not a steam shower. My preference is to have ceiling height glass. Looking for advice on taking my glass shower panel to the ceiling or maintaining a 1' opening between glass and ceiling for ventilation.

Additionally, if we can't take the glass all the way to the ceiling, I've received differing inputs from installers on whether a support bar would be needed on the glass wall furthest from the wall. One says that a support bar would need to be clamped on the glass, cross the 3' direction of the shower and be screwed into the tile wall. Others have said that the wall clamps on the other length of the 6' glass will suffice. I would prefer no bar, but I don't want a safety issue or wobbly glass. Looking for advice on this too,

Comments (4)