Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_garden

Almost Done - Transitional(?) Bathrooms

Mr_Garden
9 years ago

Hey All,

I spent a tonne of time reading through the forums while we renovated. I wanted to share out a few pictures as we're almost done. I'll post more when everything is completed. Any questions let me know.

Master:

Guest Bathroom:

Comments (23)

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After seeing these images enlarged, I realize I'll need to use the proper camera on the final photos.

• beaniebakes
    9 years ago

I really like the tiles you selected and am intriqued with the shower in the second photo. The slanted glass is a good solution to my plans for a future shower in a converted attic. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the slanted ceiling. Are you happy with it? I'd also love to know the size of the shower and name of floor tile. Thanks.
    -- Ilene

• dlr98004
    9 years ago

What is dimension of your tub splash guard? Do you like it? How much water escapes during shower? Thanks for sharing! Can not wait until we are "almost done"!

• enduring
    9 years ago

Very nice and I believe your cat thinks so to, lol. So I see a steam shower, how are you liking it? I am interested in the vanity drawer set up, is one side a hamper?

Of course when you finish, we all would be very interested in what products you used and of course the paint color.

Congratulations on a very nice set of bathrooms.

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beaniebakes - the floor tiles are 6'x18" Polished Bianco Marble. Their ID code was ANS044 but I do not know the producer I am afraid. As for the shower, it is 3 pieces at 10mm (3/8"?). The pivot hinges seem to work quite well as the door can open outward to 90* and just touch the towelbar. Cleaning behind the pivot is infinitely easier as well. The shower is 60" long, 46" wide, and height goes from 7'5" to 6". The angle seems fine as the bench blocks you from standing full height at the 6" segment.

dianelouise- the tub guard extends about 3" past the tub edge. My wife does not like the aesthetic but I don't mind it. After one shower I find about 1/8- 1/4 of a cup would be the total splash along the tub and floor, the majority on the tub. the glass shower partition is 36" in the 60" space.

enduring - The steamshower was my requirement to engage the renovation. It has seen 3 uses so far (silicon dried on Friday) and it is utterly fantastic for me. We went with a Relax-a-Mist JR2 for the space. To turn it on in the evening and have a personal steamroom is a real treat at this point (itâÂÂs still a new toy). The vanity is interesting and I'll take pictures tonight. The small drawers are all 'double drawers' with a 2nd drawer on top of the primary one. The large drawer is actually a hair appliance drawer on top and storage on bottom. It has an electrical outlet attached to a power bar ,and 4 salon cups to hold hair dryers and curling irons. No more cords on the countertop and the outlet is wired to the lightâÂÂs switch. No more paranoia for my wife halfway to work. If she somehow forgot to switch off the powerbar, the lights did it anyways.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

They both look great!

The kitty in the steam shower is a crack up. I'm pretty sure he believes you created it just for him :)

• beaniebakes
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, and enjoy that steam shower! Alas, it's not in my budget.

• southofsa
    9 years ago

That is a great idea to wire the hidden outlet to the light switch! I'd not heard of that solution. Simple and effective. I'm stealing it :-)

Lisa

• krabbypatty
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! Can you tell me a little more about the glass guard on the tub bathroom? (And assume no knowledge -- I'm just in the early planning phase but I have a similar floor plan in our hall bath and I'm really liking this option.) It is hinged? If so, how does that work with the toilet in the way? I'm not sure what you meant above about "extends about 3" past the tub edge." Did you mean the inside edge? Do you find it gets chilly in that shower (or is it too early in the fall to tell?). Thanks!

This post was edited by krabbypatty on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 10:23

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the master vanity's appliance drawer. Sorry for the poor lighting: It is being reworked this week.

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

krabbypatty - I may have misinterpreted but I had thought that by tubguard dianelouise had meant the subway tile surround. The tiles extend down the wall about 3" past the tub's edge. The tub's rim is about 3" wide. The glass is 10mm (3/8"), 3ft long and has two wall hinges to hold it up.

The door is limited on its swing open by the large toilet tank lid we chose. I can get for sure 45* of pivot from the wall before it comes to the toilet lid. This is sufficient to reach the controls from outside the tub though. We had originally asked for a 7" fixed pane of glass, and then the hinges so that the door would open the full 90*. Unfortunately the glass company said they'd have to have the fixed piece reach all the way to the ceiling for support. We did not thing the look would be good so cancelled that, but in retrospect would have probably been fine as there are only 3" to the ceiling now anyways.

The glass was mounted to be flush with the inside tub ledge. No water from showering gets under the glass, but you do lose 1-2â of showering space which can matter.

Lastly, yes; the shower is cold. I have used two showers that were just the glass pane and both left me cool on the exposed parts. ItâÂÂs not a horrible trade off, and I think for a hall bath itâÂÂs probably worth it. As it is the only tub in our condo, having the door swing open is quite nice as well when bathing.

• krabbypatty
    9 years ago

Great details. Thanks so much.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Thanks for the image of your special vanity set up :)

• dlr98004
    9 years ago

Love your vanity pull out setup! I will copy it in ours! How wide is your pull out shelf?

• Denitza Kotov
    9 years ago

Great remodel! Could you please share what is the tub brand and model? Thank you!

• flyingkite
    9 years ago

Awesome! Nice remodeling. I love the the lights, the vanity mirror and how well everything is organized in the vanity cabinet.

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thedork - The Tub is a HYTEC Wellbrook by Kohler. Model #AC3637L-0

dianelouise - The appliance vanity cabinet measured 19 3/4" wide and 21" deep. The contractor framed up the appliance shelves themselves and installed the drawer hardware (aka it was just drawer front from cabinet maker..

• _usernameblank_
    9 years ago

Love how everything turned out. Did you install the large vanity mirror yourself? That's one of the last items on our remodel and we are torn between hiring someone to do the work and doing it ourselves. Also, do you mind my asking the cost? The quotes we received for just the mirror itself was expensive due to the two cutouts for the lights.

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

la_cocina - The mirror was part of our overall bathroom contract. I'm afraid I do not know the individual item's cost. The mirror had a small chip in it's cutout for one of the sconces on install. 3 days later it turned into a 12" stress fracture you can see in the first photo. The glass was glued to the wall as I did not want clips.

I suspect the drying process and the sconce's mounting plate led to the fracture. They are recutting the glass and reinstalling. Perhaps clips could have avoided this issue.

• Mr_Garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Item List. I apologize for the formatting

Gust Bathroom:

Floor Tile: 6"x18" Polished Bianco Marble
    Shower Tile A: 3" x 6" Ceramic Subways (white)
    Shower Base: Hytec WellBrook
    Glass Style: 10mm(3/8") 36" length
    Door Pull: CR Laurance Flair Style knob
    Toilet: Kohler Memoir 2pc. (Stately tank)
    Sink: Kohler Verticyl (K-2882 )
    Vanity Faucet: Brizo Baliza Widespread
    Vanity Countertop: Whitney jewel by Cambria
    Shower Hardware: Brizo Baliza Tub and Shower Kit - Medium flow
    Backsplash Tile: Saltillo Micro-pave 10mm x 20mm carrara
    Bathroom Hardware: Taymor - Desiree collection
    Sconces: Feiss - Payne collection (non-ornate)

Master Bathroom:

Floor Tile: 6"x18" Polished Bianco Marble
    Shower Tile A: 3" x 6" Ceramic Subways (white)
    Shower Tile B: Saltillo - Large Sunflower Carrara/Thassos
    Bench top: Whitney jewel by Cambria
    Shower Floor: 1" Carrera Hex (sheets)
    Steam System: Relax-a-Mist JR2
    Glass Style: 10mm(3/8"), 30" door
    Door Pull: CR Laurence Colonial 8"
    Toilet: Kohler Memoir 2pc. (Stately tank)
    Sink: Kohler Verticyl (K-2882 )
    Vanity Faucet: Brizo Baliza Widespread
    Vanity Countertop: Whitney jewel by Cambria
    Shower Hardware: Brizo Sensori - Baliza trim
    Backsplash Tile: Saltillo Micro-pave 10mm x 20mm carrara
    Bathroom Hardware: Taymor - Desiree collection
    Sconces: Feiss - Payne collection (non-ornate)

• _usernameblank_
    9 years ago

Oh I do see it now that you mention it. That does make me leery about doing it ourselves. I think I'll start a new post to inquire whether others have successfully done it themselves. Thanks for the response!

• Kyla Taylor Kruger
    8 years ago

Hi - may I ask about the performance of your JR2 steam unit? How long does it take to get your shower up to temperature? And how hot are you able to get your steam shower? Also, what is the approximate cubic feet of your shower? Is that a skylight I see in it as well? Thanks in advance!

• Denitza Kotov
    8 years ago

Could you please share the model and size of the tub? Do you like it? thank you!