Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aquamix Grout Colorant...used with Carrara Marble?

Posted by luvn2oxfrd (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 11:59

I am a tad controlling. I told myself I would NOT overanalyze every single detail of my bathroom remodel. I painstakingly thought out the remodel for 8 months before demo and was confident I could handle the remodel without making myself nauseous ;) Now, at the very end of everything, I am over-thinking the grout.

The bathroom, walls and floor, are Carrara. The walls came out more gray than I had anticipated (but again, I refused to over-think and just dealt with it). For the grout, we chose Tec's Silverado. Wet, it is a perfect match for the gray tile. Dry, it stands out in stark contrast and all I see is WHITE grout lines.

From reading copious threads on this topic from Bill and Mongo, I know that I can use an enhancer to make the grout appear as if it is wet (or darker), or I can use a colorant to change the white grout to gray grout...but my question is, can I do either of those options with Carrara marble? It is my understanding that Carrara is very porous. I do not want to risk making the already grayer-than-I-anticipated gray tiles even grayer!!!

Also, Aquamix is an epoxy grout colorant. I've read not to use an epoxy grout with Carrara because it can soak into the edges of the stone.

So now what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aquamix Grout Colorant...used with Carrara Marble?

I wouldn't recommend it's use in this application.. The advise you received was good advice

Here is a link that might be useful: Grout Paint

o

I wouldn't, either. When it comes time to scrub off the excess, you could very easily scratch the edges of the marble. As for the enhancer, your fears are well founded. You have two choices-- live with what you have, or scratch it out and regrout.

o

Bill, thank you for stopping by to comment. You made my decision exceedingly easy...live with it it is!

o

What does the tile itself look like when it's wet? You could potentially use an enhancer on the whole thing, grout and tile. That might accentuate the grey in the tile too much for your taste though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here