Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keithcindy_gw

Need ideas for unusual towel hooks

keithcindy
16 years ago

We're fixing up a bathroom for a small cabin we have and I'm trying to find fun, usual, economical ideas for towel hooks in the bathroom. I love the idea of using old hot/cold water faucet handles, but they are pricey. Does anyone have any other ideas for using something other than a towel hook for a towel hook?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

I've seen old doorknobs used; beautiful unusual ones from salvage, e.g. crystal, brass. You could get those faucet handles from salvage, too. Maybe if you went to a salvage place and asked for ideas, they might be more familiar with their stock and have some ideas for you.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I used the old crystal doorknobs from my childhood home (I had my dad swap them out for cheap brass HD knobs when the new buyer said he was planning to gut it) in my kitchen both to suspend my valance and create an apron "hook." Here's what they look like. Let me know if you want to know how I made them (it will take some time for me to type it out and if you're not interested I won't bother ;) ).

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Faucet handles can be had quite cheaply on ebay.

• fnmroberts
    16 years ago

In our Powder Room, we have a drapery hold-back for a towel hook. We actually watch it being made by a blacksmith at a craft fair. Photos linked from "My Page".

• lagrant
    16 years ago

cabin? is it rustic? I've seen antlers used. madmoose dot com has some that are interesting...

Here is a link that might be useful: antler stuff

• kim2007
    16 years ago

Does it have to literally be a hook? If it's a rustic cabin, why not borrow an idea from out here where I live: kiva ladders. Lean it against the wall and lap the towels over the rungs.

Here is a link that might be useful: kiva ladders

• arleneg
    16 years ago

Kim2007, at the risk of asking a silly question,what keeps the ladder from falling down? If it's sitting on tile, mightn't it slip? What if pets jump on it?

• kim2007
    16 years ago

arleneg: "Kim2007, at the risk of asking a silly question,what keeps the ladder from falling down? If it's sitting on tile, mightn't it slip? What if pets jump on it?"

Good points, and I was wondering myself if it could be attached somehow, and how that might be done. I don't have one but have considered it, but I've not seen them used here n contexts with slippery flooring. People here typically stand them against a wall in a living room or bedroom or something and drape nice southwestern or folk textiles over them. I've seen another type of ladder used in a bathroom to hold towels, but it was on an interior design/remodel program I watched a long time ago. I think that one was mounted standing out a little bit from the wall with some kind of bracket on the back on each side, but I can't be certain.

• jade.d
    16 years ago

You could also try asking over at "trash to treasure" -- they've got great ideas over on that forum.

• tahoebo
    16 years ago

How about one of those stone towel holders? Like this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: You can buy one here

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

My MIL used those old green glass insulators. Looks really cool. They are like the one in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: green glass insulators