Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rear outlet toilet?

Posted by docrck (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 11:33

I am renovating a bathroom in a pre-war building in New York City. Our original plan calls for moving the toilet. Now that the demolition is done, the contractor is saying it may not be possible to cut into some floor beams in order to move the waste line. He is suggesting a rear outlet toilet, as we could run the waste line across the wall. I understand they are common in Europe but seem to be very uncommon here. Here is the link to his example:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CQ6Q8U/ref=asc_df_B002CQ6Q8U2184790?smid=A2X66B5K53J93S&tag=nextagusmp0403447-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002CQ6Q8U

Anyone have experience with these toilets? Would you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rear outlet toilet?

Seems like I read a review saying that the "flush assisted" mechanism on American Standard toilets (I can't remember which model) can be noisy.
I read it on one of the bathroom fixture sites such as plumbingsupply.com or faucetdirect.com.
Just did another google search and found more about this though I couldn't find a date on the posts - I'm sure if you searched for "noisy toilet" and "rear outlet", you might get some hits.
Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: plbg.com - noisy flush assist toilet

o

Redesign. Move the toilet.

o

I think that toilet is attractive. I would not care about the noise. You're probably going from a flushometer-type toilet. Go for the most powerful flush you can get.

o

My parents 1970s house has one in the upstairs bath, and my mom loves it for ease of cleaning. They're planning a renovation in their retirement home and was insisting on them. I don't think they're far enough to have actually looked at fixtures.

o

docrck -- Can you report back how you resolved this issue? I am facing the same problem -- Either I can't move my bathroom as planned or I need to rear discharge toilet, but there seems to be slim pickings in the world of rear outlet toilets which is odd because, at least around here, they are not that uncommon.

Anyone else have any recent experience with rear discharge toilets?

o

I almost went with a Gerber rear-outlet in a renovated bathroom even though I didn't have to, just to save space front to back. They're not uncommon at all, Gerber makes both floorstanding and wall-hung varieties, American Standard and Caroma make several that are inexpensive, and companies like Saniflo make them since they're needed for their upflush systems. Of course there are also the much pricier tank-in-wall commodes that take a rear-outlet bowl that are increasingly popular from the likes of Toto, Geberit, Grohe, Duravit, and other high-end brands, and maybe from mid-level brands by now. Wall-mounted bowls are more difficult to install, but they leave the floor completely open for easy cleaning. I like them.

o

This is a late follow up, but we put in a Saniflo toilet without the pump part so that we could have a rear-outlet toilet. So far it's working well. With the lower water flow we do sometimes flush twice so we don't have to worry about backup happening. We had a backup one time, and since selectively flushing twice we haven't had it happen again.
The toilet is raised because my husband wanted it higher. The pipe coming out of the wall really isn't noticeable as you can see from the picture.

o

Why not do a wall hung toilet and eliminate the "noise" ?

Here is a link that might be useful: wall mount toilet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here