Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Steal This Bathroom!

rococogurl
16 years ago

First of all my thanks to Elizabeth, who emailed recently about my guest bath and wanted to know all the details.

So many have inquired I decided to finally document the whole thing so folks could see the process and riff on it if you like.

I've posted it many times before (since 2004!) but not with all the bits -- until now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steal this Bathroom

Comments (9)

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks Rococogurl! Very timely, and much appreciated. Just Gorgeous (I don't recall seeing your bathroom, which shocks me, given the amount of time I've spent on this site in the last couple of years!).

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of the great info. Your bathroom is fantastic.
    Jenn

• budge1
    16 years ago

I also somehow missed your bathroom. Our remodel turned out very similar. It is nice to see small beautiful baths that have that authenticity of an older home. Thanks for sharing.

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

Jane, thank you for the permission to do what I was going to do anyway. It was fun to read about your process and timely for me also since work begins Oct 1. Since it is almost the same footprint as my 8' x 7' bathroom, your bathroom is my inspiration and it's been on my desktop for weeks. I've decided to forgo the vanity idea and go with a pedestal to gain space and simplicity. I love the Stately but am concerned the 22" depth would crowd the room. It sure doesn't seem to in yours. In mine there would be 31" to the tub. I'm wondering if you considered the smaller 19 3/4" or 20" deep Memoire pedestal?

Also did you place the sink dead center in the room? Since my room is not as long as yours centering the sink places it quite close to the toilet. My med cab is huge 38" x 24" and I'm trying to decide if it would look bad if it were off center to the left.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

shirley -- I have 42" between the front of the sink and the front of the tub -- my tub is recessed in a niche.

A person takes up approx 18" in front of the sink so calculate the depth of the sink plus 18" to figure out your clearance.

I never considered anything other than the Memoirs but can tell you there are some other gorgeous pedestals out there -- the styles and heights quite different however. But some of my favorites are the Porcher Lutezia, the Duravit 1930s, the American Standard Town Square and this AS Oval sink which might be a good one for you as it's 20" deep but has a beefy style that could work.

Whatever I did with the sink, I'd want the medicine cabinet centered over it, not off to one side.

My wall with the sink and toilet is 8-feet long.

The CENTER line of the sink is placed at 3'4" and the CENTER LINE of the toilet stack is at 6' 10-3/4" but I can't say the same dimensions will work for you -- best to check everything with your contractor.

Good luck with the bathroom.

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

That solves my problem. If you placed it 3'4" from the wall then it is not centered in the room. It sure looks like it is. Also you hit the nail on the head with the AS pedestal. It was my second choice since seeing claire de luna's bath.

Thanks ever so for sharing your talent. You are a nice person. I am guessing you are an interior designer?

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guilty.

One thing -- if you aren't centering (very smart to think of that BTW) -- plot out with paper squares where everything will fall just so you're sure. You can make the med cab long and skinny and see how far over it will come so you're not hitting your head on the corner somehow or it isn't impinging on wall space when you use the toilet or if you want to put a tall piece of furniture on the other side.

• dontcallmeshirley
    16 years ago

After months of trying to find my way through this rubics cube I've a new found respect for your profession, Jane. My user name should be "dontcallmesybil." I've changed my mind so many times it feels like I have multiple personalities. If I were to do it again NO QUESTION I would work with an interior designer.

Like you my most difficult decision is the floor tiles. I've searched ad nauseum and reduced my options to 2" x 2" cream colored (possibly 6' x 6") ceramic because it is practical and blends with my bedroom floors. Kind of boring but I want a square shaped tile to go with the adjoing room rug pattern. I am down to the wire on this but because I trust your taste I called Ann Sacks today to request samples of glass tiles they stock. Another Sybil moment! :-/

One question...you said your Memoire pedestal is 36" high. The Kohler specs say 34 3/8". Is it possible it is raised somehow? Sorry to nit pick. The reason I ask is I prefer the 19 3/4" deep Memoire but will probably go with AS's pedestal because I want 36".

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shirley/Sybil (LOL) there are 2 Memoirs sets -- one has the flat deck and the other has the rimmed deck.

I used the K-2268 which I always remember as 36" h which must be the measurement from the subfloor (I should change that).

You are correct, the 2268 on the website is 34-3/8" though one of them is 35" h.

AS has beautiful tiles and great service. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Memoirs Sinks