Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall-mount sliding door on a bathroom?

Posted by nugentcn (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 11:07

I have a tiny bathroom but the wall next to the door opening will not accommodate a traditional pocket door because of plumbing/electrical. I had an idea that a door which slides outside the wall like a barn door could be a solution and have just discovered a hardware kit that includes a fascia for hiding the hardware with trim:

http://johnsonhardware.com/2610f.htm

My question is: Are there ways to ensure security of the door--latch, lock, or something like that? Also, are there small cracks at the edge of the door between the wall trim and the door itself that compromise privacy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall-mount sliding door on a bathroom?

Are there ways to ensure security of the door--latch, lock, or something like that?

sure - you can use a simple hook and eye, will cost you around 2 dollars at he hardware store.

Also, are there small cracks at the edge of the door between the wall trim and the door itself that compromise privacy?

Of course, but how large or small depends on your contractor's talent and your pocketbook. To minimize gaps your wall will need to be very , very , very , very , very straight AND plumb. The door you use will have to be free of twist and warp also AND remain that way. Normal bulges in the drywall from tape and mud joints will be very troublesome. A level 4 or 5 finish is what you are after.

good luck

o

Here is one we just put in. It is the hall/kids bath. Door swing was in and hit the tub. This give you so much more room.

Old door
Photobucket

New door
Photobucket
Photobucket

We got the hardware from the website you posted. It is very easy to install. The door is just a tad wider than the opening so that eliminates the gap. Contractor used molding on the inside as well. Right now I have no latch, but will get a hook and eye, as mentioned. Kids pretty much know when the door is closed it is occupied. There really is no issue with privacy at all.

Good Luck,

Laura

o

I just saw you wall mounted door on your bathroom, this is what I want when I enlarge my bathroom. Your door is very nice. One question, you bought the mounting hardware only from "johnsonhardware.com" and purchased the door in your area. Thankyou for your help.

o
Wall-mount sliding door

I'm ready to install my first wall mount sliding door. Are there any installation tricks that I should know ahead of time? What about molding? Can I use the existing molding?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here